Justice League The Flash Point Explained (reposted from BvS subforum)

I am leaning more to the theory of past being fixed, but I can see the attraction to the other one of non-linear time that escapes paradox as well... I love contemplating about it and reading literature that deals with that matter. Though it's been a while since I did so the last time.

Multiverse, albeit sometimes confusing as hell, is great. :up:

Interesting... I am tempted to pick some convergence comics up, though I wouldn't know where to start.

I didn't know of this rumor. That would be great. I guess the only way to explain to the audience what it meant is to show it from the other side. Current Flash that Bruce meets in JL to enlist into the League should be the one from what is now a timeline b, right? Knightmare Flash never truly walked through the portal. By the way, what happens to the knighmare Flash, then...?

Heh, nice way of putting it. :woot:

I checked "About Martha: The 'Masculine' vs 'Feminine' in BvS". I actually posted in that thread in BvS subforums. I will most definitely check out the other ones. :up:

I'm sure I will, as well.

Oh ****, haha, now you got me thinking in overdrive about what happened to future Flash.

Most probably got wiped out since the timeline was reset and so the event 'should' never have happened anyway in Timeline B.

And oh right, sorry I forgot that you posted in the Martha article already. :drl:

Oh ****, haha, now you got me thinking in overdrive about what happened to future Flash.

Most probably got wiped out since the timeline was reset and so the event 'should' never have happened anyway in Timeline B.

And oh right, sorry I forgot that you posted in the Martha article already. :drl:

That's what I assumed as well. That should teach him not to mess with time. Or rather it won't as he's done learning his life lessons. :hehe:

There's absolutely nothing to apologize for, I don't expect you to remember me among the bunch of other posters. I am tired as hell and drawn to the bed right now, but I will check these other threads tomorrow. Looking forward to it. Truly.

That's what I assumed as well. That should teach him not to mess with time. Or rather it won't as he's done learning his life lessons. :hehe:

There's absolutely nothing to apologize for, I don't expect you to remember me among the bunch of other posters. I am tired as hell and drawn to the bed right now, but I will check these other threads tomorrow. Looking forward to it. Truly.

Haha, yeah poor future Barry! :hehe:

And oh, I wasn't 'apologising' apologising, haha. I just tend to be overly polite sometimes. :D

And yeah, it IS time for bed haha, it's 3 AM here. :hehe: I think I should go too. Hope you enjoy them! :)

I was actually thinking, it might be good to leave Timeline A in tact. Here's my thinking:

Flash travels back to save the future of Timeline A. When he returns after visiting Bruce, he finds that Timeline A is still in tact to his shock. It may even be a bittersweet feeling, to know he may have saved one timeline, but couldn't save his own. Timeline A Flash dies at the hands of Thawne, who then travels to Timeline B to try course correct it. Not because he needs to, but because he wants to ensure that Flash dies at his hands no matter what the timeline.

So, the Flash film is a Timeline B film featuring Timeline A Thawne. And it hammers home why Flash can't just time travel whenever things go wrong, because at the end of the day it won't save his actual timeline. It's dark business for the filmmakers, to basically say Timeline A is still screwed, but that's right in line with what WB is going for.

Killer,

Well if they go with the Multiverse then that Flash would go back to Timeline A and live on while Timeline B runs parallel but with different consequences. The Barry Bruce meets is the Timeline B one.

If they choose to ignore the Multiverse than Flash-A would cease to exist anymore. As soon as he made it back to the future (heh) he would either blink out of existence or he would merge with the new version in the future. (kinda how they do it on the show)

As for Convergence it is pretty easy to pick and choose what to read. Lots of great old characters show up and connect the various timelines together. The conclusion is awesome and personally I like it better than the end of Flashpoint as a break point. I kind of wish Darkseid War had come first then had Convergence lead into Rebirth because it would be pretty dang perfect :)

It's interesting, because with this film being a revenge tragedy, Flash is basically the Deus ex Machina trope so commonly used in them. His appearance basically incited the entire resolution of this movie. But then, it's not an actual Deus ex Machina, because it fits within the larger context of the DCEU, where that sorta thing isn't some new ability that comes from out of nowhere.

I wonder if that much was intentional or not. Fascinating either way.

Well it comes part and parcel with the character of The Flash so I would say it is most likely intentional. I mean the Flash and his abilities are really the cause of modern day comic storylines...Flash of Two Earths showed he could travel to alternate Earths which created the Multiverse. (a concept now used by other comics companies) Flash was the major sacrifice in Crisis on Infinite Earths. Barry comes back "from the dead" in Infinite Crisis to help stop Superboy-Prime, Flash trying to fix his origin causes the Flashpoint Paradox which then leads to The New 52...and that carried over to other versions like on JLU where he stops Lexiac by running so fast he enters the Speed Force (best episode of that show IMHO) and his death being what causes The Justice Lords to exist on an alternate Earth. On his show he travels through time and to other Earths as well in efforts to fix things...

The Flash is the ultimate Deus Ex Machina in that he has the ability to time travel and fix what is broken.

I was actually thinking, it might be good to leave Timeline A in tact. Here's my thinking:

Flash travels back to save the future of Timeline A. When he returns after visiting Bruce, he finds that Timeline A is still in tact to his shock. It may even be a bittersweet feeling, to know he may have saved one timeline, but couldn't save his own. Timeline A Flash dies at the hands of Thawne, who then travels to Timeline B to try course correct it. Not because he needs to, but because he wants to ensure that Flash dies at his hands no matter what the timeline.

So, the Flash film is a Timeline B film featuring Timeline A Thawne. And it hammers home why Flash can't just time travel whenever things go wrong, because at the end of the day it won't save his actual timeline. It's dark business for the filmmakers, to basically say Timeline A is still screwed, but that's right in line with what WB is going for.

Omg that sounds AMAZING! I want YOU to write the Flash film now haha. :D

That, in my eyes, would make for a perfect Flash debut story that would tie in with our own BvS Flash's actions. Brilliant! :)

And that sounds EXACTLY like Thawne would act, so that's perfect too. :) It would make him appear out of nowhere and force the Flash to become faster and better, just like in the TV show.

I can already imagine a magnificent shot of the Flash at Thawne's feet, the camera facing a standing Thawne but from knee level upwards, showing the sky with him in the fore ground and all the red lightning flashing at an insane speed and frequency around Thawne in his yellow and black suit while he is sneering at the Flash. In Snyder level of visuals. HNNNGGGG.

Well it comes part and parcel with the character of The Flash so I would say it is most likely intentional. I mean the Flash and his abilities are really the cause of modern day comic storylines...Flash of Two Earths showed he could travel to alternate Earths which created the Multiverse. (a concept now used by other comics companies) Flash was the major sacrifice in Crisis on Infinite Earths. Barry comes back "from the dead" in Infinite Crisis to help stop Superboy-Prime, Flash trying to fix his origin causes the Flashpoint Paradox which then leads to The New 52...and that carried over to other versions like on JLU where he stops Lexiac by running so fast he enters the Speed Force (best episode of that show IMHO) and his death being what causes The Justice Lords to exist on an alternate Earth. On his show he travels through time and to other Earths as well in efforts to fix things...

The Flash is the ultimate Deus Ex Machina in that he has the ability to time travel and fix what is broken.

Yeah, now that WB/DC have decided to unabashedly tap into the power of the Flash and use it to tie together multiple timelines it's only a matter of time before we see it tie in multiple universes or maybe even a COIE in live action! :D

Last edited:
Here's something that I just posted in the New Positivity thread in the BvS subforum, which I feel could be added here too since it ties in with what actually happened with regard to Bruce and his knowledge of Krytonite before the Knightmare.

If what you say is true, there's one bit, that confuses us to think why Bruce was looking for the rock long before the flashpoint. Alfred says "White Portuguese isn't carrying a dirty bomb, what is it carrying?" It totally looked like Bruce was hiding it from Alfred for quite some time. As well as earlier rant of Alfred about how everything's changed and men falling from the sky. Even though it was attributed just to Bruce's branding criminals.

I personally like your idea better, because it removes a plot hole, that makes Bruce searching for something that didn't happen yet - smuggling of kryptonite. With you theory it makes more sense. Lex is denied in bringing kryptonite to US, he organizes the meeting at the library and feeds info to Bruce. Bruce "steals" the data, that also contains info on the K-rock.

The only problem with this theory - why is Bruce so obsessed with finding WP? It's especially confusing, because right before that we're shown how Bruce gets angry at Superman after Metropolis destruction. Again, I'm intrigued even more to see what was edited out of UC, especially from the first half of the film.

I'm actually feeling really confused about this thing now. Bruce tells Alfred that, "It's a weapon, a rock, capable of weakening Kryptonian cells. The first one that was big enough to mean anything turned up in the Indian Ocean, three months ago."

And if we recall the flow of events, the first scene after the MoS battle is the discovery of Kryptonite in the ocean. Then later, after that scene, we see Batman interrogating that goon who he brands but at that point he is asking him WHO, and not WHAT the WP is. We know this because the goon answers, "I don't know who he is, I don't know who he is."

So going by this flow of events, I now feel it would be safe to assume that Bruce DID know about the Kryptonite and what it can do since he could have possibly gained that information from USAMRIID, but most probably didn't know that LexCorp was involved since the research happened at the AMRIID facility instead of LexCorp, which was just taking a copy of that research for themselves.

This means that Bruce WAS in fact lying to Alfred about the 'dirty bomb' for some time.

Bruce would probably have come across mentions of the White Portuguese during his investigation into Kryptonite and it's location, and it would have lead him to assume that the WP was a buyer of the K-rock.

He didn't actually know it was a ship till he gets Lex's files. And he didn't know that Lex was involved until he cracks Anatoly's phone and gets that info.

So the flow of events goes like this >

1. Kryptonite found in Metropolis rubble by Lex's 'Rebuild Metropolis' crews.
2. Lex performs research via proxy at USAMRIID and gets the results.
3. Batman gets wind of this research and gets to know about Kryptonite and what it can do.
4. Bruce starts investigating the world for more mentions of Kryptonite.
5. Lex has his people searching the World Engine crash site for more Kryptonite.
6. The larger sample of Kryptonite is found in the Indian Ocean.
7. Lex begins the plan to smuggle it into Gotham after he is denied the import license by Finch.
8. The White Portuguese code word is put into effect by Lex who knows it is a ship but other than him and his people, no one knows.
9. Bruce catches wind of the White Portuguese and he thinks that is a buyer of the Kryptonite and so he starts tracking any mentions of the WP.
10. That leads him to the human trafficking goon who leads him to Anatoly.
11. He tracks Anatoly and clones his phone after the boxing match.
12. He finds that Lex is involved and could possibly be the WP.
13. He hacks into Lex's servers and gets the data he was looking for all this time.
14. He begins the decryption.
15. Knightmare happens, he learns that Kryptonite is essential or else he WILL fail (he remembers his death in the Knightmare).
16. He learns that Superman is a confirmed threat and that if there is even a 1% chance from his vision that Superman is a threat, he must take it as a certainty.
17. He wakes up from the Knightmare and goes through Lex's files and learns that the WP is actually a ship and not a person and that Lex was going to import it via sea.
18. He tells Alfred about the ship but doesn't mention the Kryptonite.
19. Alfred who has picked up on the fact that Bruce was lying about the dirty bomb for some time, confronts him with it.
20. Bruce reveals everything to Alfred and then goes to attack the convoy at the port.

Confusion eliminated! :D

Omg that sounds AMAZING! I want YOU to write the Flash film now haha. :D

That, in my eyes, would make for a perfect Flash debut story that would tie in with our own BvS Flash's actions. Brilliant! :)

And that sounds EXACTLY like Thawne would act, so that's perfect too. :) It would make him appear out of nowhere and force the Flash to become faster and better, just like in the TV show.

I can already imagine a magnificent shot of the Flash at Thawne's feet, the camera facing a standing Thawne but from knee level upwards, showing the sky with him in the fore ground and all the red lightning flashing at an insane speed and frequency around Thawne in his yellow and black suit while he is sneering at the Flash. In Snyder level of visuals. HNNNGGGG.

Haha, that's a big compliment from the guy who unraveled the Flash scene so perfectly. And that Thawne scene you just describe, so damn HHNNNGGGG. The Flash solo has the potential to be the most visually stimulating DCEU film. Not just that, but it can really show how integral Flash is not just to BvS, but to the entire DCEU narrative.

Haha, that's a big compliment from the guy who unraveled the Flash scene so perfectly. And that Thawne scene you just describe, so damn HHNNNGGGG. The Flash solo has the potential to be the most visually stimulating DCEU film. Not just that, but it can really show how integral Flash is not just to BvS, but to the entire DCEU narrative.

Haha, thanks again mate! :)

I actually get a lot of cool visuals in my head when I think about this stuff, I wish I could direct some of it into live action, haha. :D

Yeah, after seeing how amazing the effects on the Flash looked in just a single scene I can't wait to be blown away by all the stuff they could do in the Flash movie. :D

If they focus on the lightning a lot and make it come alive, it will be really stunning to see him in action.

Haha, thanks again mate! :)

I actually get a lot of cool visuals in my head when I think about this stuff, I wish I could direct some of it into live action, haha. :D

Yeah, after seeing how amazing the effects on the Flash looked in just a single scene I can't wait to be blown away by all the stuff they could do in the Flash movie. :D

If they focus on the lightning a lot and make it come alive, it will be really stunning to see him in action.

I hope they do some really special things with the character. Quicksilver was totally forgettable in AoU, and I'm not a fan of the face close-up on Quicksilver in X-Men. I did like him going around and messing with everyone though :woot:

Has anyone mentioned that Superman said to Lois before his sacrifice "You are my world" and in the Batman flashforward vision Superman says "She was my world" coincidence? i just think that future is still a possibility somehow! I am just thinking out loud here :/

Lois could still die, but things will play out differently because Clark and Bruce have an earlier established history. Rather than "Batman let Lois die.", it'll be "Bruce tried his best to save Lois."

That's my guess at least, but I don't actually think Lois will die. No way can JL1 be considered lighter by Terrio if he has that play out.

But... didn't Lex always wanted Bruce to get the Kryptonite...

I love the mechanics of this theory, but it doesn't save BvS for me. Not that that matters though. Cool speculations yo.

And and and and and

Who gave Bruce the vision of the future?

But... didn't Lex always wanted Bruce to get the Kryptonite...

I love the mechanics of this theory, but it doesn't save BvS for me. Not that that matters though. Cool speculations yo.

And and and and and

Who gave Bruce the vision of the future?

Lex did, presumably, it's just Batman never got to it. And it wasn't a vision of the future. It was an actual flash forward to the end of the titular battle, ending with Batman's death. Flash traveling back caused all of the events post-Bruce Wayne falling asleep to fold over on themselves. That's why Bruce wakes up clutching his chest, because it was an actual memory and the last thing he remembered from the old timeline.

Lex did, presumably, it's just Batman never got to it. And it wasn't a vision of the future. It was an actual flash forward to the end of the titular battle, ending with Batman's death. Flash traveling back caused all of the events post-Bruce Wayne falling asleep to fold over on themselves. That's why Bruce wakes up clutching his chest, because it was an actual memory and the last thing he remembered from the old timeline.

Oh. Ok. So the audience is in on it, not Bruce. Gotchu.

But still. Everything bad about this movie, for me, comes down to Lex. It was Lex's plan all along so this theory doesn't pan out for me. What was his plan if he didn't want Batman to get the kryptonite? Why did he smile as he saw his batarang inside the glass casing. Did he just impromptu decide that, "Ok! I guess Batman's in the fray. Let's put off my actual plan of killing Supes with Doomsday and have them fight. MUHAHAHARDIHUR HUR. Kidnap the girls!"

Oh. Ok. So the audience is in on it, not Bruce. Gotchu.

But still. Everything bad about this movie, for me, comes down to Lex. It was Lex's plan all along so this theory doesn't pan out for me. What was his plan if he didn't want Batman to get the kryptonite? Why did he smile as he saw his batarang inside the glass casing. Did he just impromptu decide that, "Ok! I guess Batman's in the fray. Let's put off my actual plan of killing Supes with Doomsday and have them fight. MUHAHAHARDIHUR HUR. Kidnap the girls!"

I'm at work and reading fast, so apologies if I'm missing something, but it was always Lex's plan for Batman to get the kryptonite. We don't fully know how everything plays out in Timeline A, but it's a solid guess that Batman just never manages to get any kryptonite given his search for it in the Knightmare sequence.

But yeah, Lex makes it pretty clear he's been manipulating Bruce and interfering in things ever since Superman's arrival. So, it was always the plan to get him to fight Superman. So I guess I'm just confused on why you say this theory doesn't work because of Lex.

I'm at work and reading fast, so apologies if I'm missing something, but it was always Lex's plan for Batman to get the kryptonite. We don't fully know how everything plays out in Timeline A, but it's a solid guess that Batman just never manages to get any kryptonite given his search for it in the Knightmare sequence.

But yeah, Lex makes it pretty clear he's been manipulating Bruce and interfering in things ever since Superman's arrival. So, it was always the plan to get him to fight Superman. So I guess I'm just confused on why you say this theory doesn't work because of Lex.

Because the crux of the theory hinges on Bruce's ability to retrieve the kryptonite. The theory works because he wasn't able to get it- as if Lex has been trying to keep it away from Lex the entire time in Timeline A.

But it seems like Lex always wanted him to get the Kryptonite. So they could fight each other and then Doomsday yada yada yada.

But maybe, Lex didn't want him to get the Kryptonite THAT soon and had to magically improvise his plans. I don't know. Screw Lex in these movies.

Because the crux of the theory hinges on Bruce's ability to retrieve the kryptonite. The theory works because he wasn't able to get it- as if Lex has been trying to keep it away from Lex the entire time in Timeline A.

But it seems like Lex always wanted him to get the Kryptonite. So they could fight each other and then Doomsday yada yada yada.

But maybe, Lex didn't want him to get the Kryptonite THAT soon and had to magically improvise his plans. I don't know. Screw Lex in these movies.

You're operating on the assumption that Lex didn't want Bruce to get it in Timeline A. I don't think that's the case. It's simply that, for reasons we aren't aware of, Bruce didn't get the kryptonite. In Timeline B, which we're in throughout the rest of the film, Lex still wants Bruce to get the kryptonite and Bruce succeeds.

I had more to say on Doomsday and why Lex does what he does, but this isn't really the place for it.

Oooooo, I like that!

Here's something that I just posted in the New Positivity thread in the BvS subforum, which I feel could be added here too since it ties in with what actually happened with regard to Bruce and his knowledge of Krytonite before the Knightmare.

I'm actually feeling really confused about this thing now. Bruce tells Alfred that, "It's a weapon, a rock, capable of weakening Kryptonian cells. The first one that was big enough to mean anything turned up in the Indian Ocean, three months ago."

And if we recall the flow of events, the first scene after the MoS battle is the discovery of Kryptonite in the ocean. Then later, after that scene, we see Batman interrogating that goon who he brands but at that point he is asking him WHO, and not WHAT the WP is. We know this because the goon answers, "I don't know who he is, I don't know who he is."

So going by this flow of events, I now feel it would be safe to assume that Bruce DID know about the Kryptonite and what it can do since he could have possibly gained that information from USAMRIID, but most probably didn't know that LexCorp was involved since the research happened at the AMRIID facility instead of LexCorp, which was just taking a copy of that research for themselves.

This means that Bruce WAS in fact lying to Alfred about the 'dirty bomb' for some time.

Bruce would probably have come across mentions of the White Portuguese during his investigation into Kryptonite and it's location, and it would have lead him to assume that the WP was a buyer of the K-rock.

He didn't actually know it was a ship till he gets Lex's files. And he didn't know that Lex was involved until he cracks Anatoly's phone and gets that info.

So the flow of events goes like this >

1. Kryptonite found in Metropolis rubble by Lex's 'Rebuild Metropolis' crews.
2. Lex performs research via proxy at USAMRIID and gets the results.
3. Batman gets wind of this research and gets to know about Kryptonite and what it can do.
4. Bruce starts investigating the world for more mentions of Kryptonite.
5. Lex has his people searching the World Engine crash site for more Kryptonite.
6. The larger sample of Kryptonite is found in the Indian Ocean.
7. Lex begins the plan to smuggle it into Gotham after he is denied the import license by Finch.
8. The White Portuguese code word is put into effect by Lex who knows it is a ship but other than him and his people, no one knows.
9. Bruce catches wind of the White Portuguese and he thinks that is a buyer of the Kryptonite and so he starts tracking any mentions of the WP.
10. That leads him to the human trafficking goon who leads him to Anatoly.
11. He tracks Anatoly and clones his phone after the boxing match.
12. He finds that Lex is involved and could possibly be the WP.
13. He hacks into Lex's servers and gets the data he was looking for all this time.
14. He begins the decryption.
15. Knightmare happens, he learns that Kryptonite is essential or else he WILL fail (he remembers his death in the Knightmare).
16. He learns that Superman is a confirmed threat and that if there is even a 1% chance from his vision that Superman is a threat, he must take it as a certainty.
17. He wakes up from the Knightmare and goes through Lex's files and learns that the WP is actually a ship and not a person and that Lex was going to import it via sea.
18. He tells Alfred about the ship but doesn't mention the Kryptonite.
19. Alfred who has picked up on the fact that Bruce was lying about the dirty bomb for some time, confronts him with it.
20. Bruce reveals everything to Alfred and then goes to attack the convoy at the port.

Confusion eliminated! :D

This is pretty much the way I viewed it, from Bruce's pov, from the start. Similarly, the OP is more or less how I viewed the Knightmare et al, save for Bruce knowing about the Kryptonite in advance.

The thing is, IF Bruce knew about the Kryptonite all along, then what did the FP event actually do to change things?
Even if it WAS the FP/Knightmare that made Bruce aware of Kryptonite, he appears to uncover much of the same information from the hard drive, does he not?
So I'm still left wondering what, if anything, did the FP actually change?

What if the Knightmare future is still intact in timeline B?
Perhaps slightly altered, but still inevitable?
Or, perhaps in the Knightmare we saw, we're only assuming Bruce never had the Kryptonite before. Maybe he did get a hold of it in timeline A, but it was ultimately ends up in someone else's hands in the future?

I mean, Superman is dead in timeline B, but we KNOW he comes back. What's to say he didn't die and resurrect in Timeline A?

This is pretty much the way I viewed it, from Bruce's pov, from the start. Similarly, the OP is more or less how I viewed the Knightmare et al, save for Bruce knowing about the Kryptonite in advance.

The thing is, IF Bruce knew about the Kryptonite all along, then what did the FP event actually do to change things?
Even if it WAS the FP/Knightmare that made Bruce aware of Kryptonite, he appears to uncover much of the same information from the hard drive, does he not?
So I'm still left wondering what, if anything, did the FP actually change?

What if the Knightmare future is still intact in timeline B?
Perhaps slightly altered, but still inevitable?
Or, perhaps in the Knightmare we saw, we're only assuming Bruce never had the Kryptonite before. Maybe he did get a hold of it in timeline A, but it was ultimately ends up in someone else's hands in the future?

I mean, Superman is dead in timeline B, but we KNOW he comes back. What's to say he didn't die and resurrect in Timeline A?

Yes, I would guess that superman still dies in timeline A but something to do with Lois in justice League (where flash meant to project himself in time) is required for Superman not to succumb to Darkseid and become his minion.

For alot of people claiming to be comic book fans I don't understand how this knightmare batman sequence is confusing because it makes complete sense in the movie and especially as a comic book reader/follower.

This is a really interesting read !
But I think the explication is really much more simple...
Here's how I understand it:

I think this future is still intact.
Flash's apparition didn't do much for Bruce, he was going to attack and try to kill Superman no matter what since he was looking for Kryptonite for months before that. What was important for Flash was to tell Bruce that Lois is the key but, like he said, he's here too soon and Bruce isn't in position to undestand this yet.
We'll probably see this pivotal moment where Lois will be in danger in the next film but for now Bruce only takes half of the message and see in it the assurance that Superman will become bad.

As for Lex's plan, even if it isn't the thread to talk about it here, I think he intended to use Batman only after the attack on the dock.
If he wanted him to have the kryptonite from day one, he would have let him get it at this moment...
Knowing at this occasion that Batman wants the rock, Lex decided to use him to make the dirty job. Since he know that Bruce Wayne is Batman, he use the opportunity to have approached an ex-employee from Wayne Industry for the bombing at the capitol to push him to the fight by making a false letter.
Doomsday is a latter add to his plan when he discovers what kryptonian technology can do. Thinking he could control Doomsday, he was keeping it like an ace in the hole if Batman would fail to kill Superman.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"