The Forever War (Ridley Scott)

Hmm, my enthusiasm has dampened. Ridley is getting too old and by the time this film rolls around, I just don't know how he can cope with such a grand scale film. Neil Blomkamp should have a crack.

people forget that Ridley is friggin' 72 years old. He looks good for his age but the clock is ticking.

Everytime i see a Ridley Scott movie i try to find something from the director of Blade Runner and Alien...after 30 years i still dont know where the hell did he go.

Everytime i see a Ridley Scott movie i try to find something from the director of Blade Runner and Alien...after 30 years i still dont know where the hell did he go.

:hehe: I see what you mean. Two great sci-fi movies.....then he goes off doing everything non-scifi. :p

Scott has his protegé. His own son-in-law who is directing the Logan's run remake. This is one of those projects that will happen when the times is right. I just hope that Scott delivers a quality SCI-FI movie that appeals to the masses. Blade Runner only succeeded later on but when it was released people did hate the movie.

Ridley Scott Returns to Sci-Fi for The Forever War

Hansel and Gretel screenwriter to adapt Joe Haldeman novel.

by Jim Vejvoda
November 27, 2012
Filmmaker Ridley Scott has infused some new blood into his long-gestating film adaptation of the 1974 sci-fi novel The Forever War. Scott will produce and direct the film, which is in development at Fox 2000.

Deadline reports the studio's tapped D.W. Harper (All You Need is Kill, Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters) to write a new draft based on Joe Haldeman's Hugo-winning novel. Matthew Michael Carnahan and David Webb Peoples penned previous drafts.
The story revolves around a soldier who battles an enemy in deep space for only a few months, only to return home to a planet he doesn’t recognize some 20 years later.
The Forever War isn't the only sci-fi film on Ridley's radar; he's also got Prometheus 2 and Blade Runner 2 in the works.

Glad Ridley is still intrested in making this movie.

Its a good thing he makes movies fast these days with all the projects he is attcached to and has in development

people forget that Ridley is friggin' 72 years old. He looks good for his age but the clock is ticking.
Scott is going to turn 75 in a couple days. Don't know how he's going to have time to make all these movies. Sequel to Blade Runner. Sequels to Prometheus? Plus everything else he's developing? Geez.

This is not meant to be an offense on Scott. But for example bond companies might ask for some younger directors to be on deck just in case. It happened on Prairie Home Companion with Robert Altman.

Clint Eastwood is 82 and is still directing so Ridley has a few miles left on the clock.

Clint Eastwood is a genetic freak though. And Eastwood doesn't do these huge budget movies either. He generally does smaller more personal dramas.

Well, I still have faith based on Prometheus. But bloody hell Rid, don't move sequences from later on in the film to earlier, especially when characters die and then appear again afterwards.

According to an interview with Ridley in the latest issue of Empire, which was out early December, the script is finished for this, which is incredibly exciting.

I just read this book along with the sequel Forever Peace and the companion book which I cant remember the name of and thought FW would make an amazing movie, so to see Ridley say he is developing it and script is complete has me excited beyond words. Didnt realise until a friend told me that it had been in development for years. Hope Ridley gets to make this!

Channing Tatum On ‘The Forever War’ As Warner Bros., Sony Battle For It
Anita Busch said:
EXCLUSIVE:
Warner Bros. and Sony are battling to set up the feature adaptation of the popular sci-fi actioner The Forever War with Channing Tatum attached to star and Jon Spaihts (Prometheus, Doctor Strange, Passengers) scripting. The Forever War, written by Joe Haldeman, is considered one of the best science fiction stories of all time and won numerous awards. The book, which also was continued in two sequel novels, was written in 1974 and also spawned a graphic novel. The story is an analogy about the Vietnam War, a endless war where soldiers fight with no clear idea about why they are engaged in combat.

Warner Bros. is apparently trying to finalize deal points as quickly as possible to win the War and one source said they are in final negotiations. However, another source says that Sony is still in talks as Tatum’s company is based there. Regardless, the project will be a major coup for the studio who lands it, as it is likely to launch a new franchise, complete with merchandising, licensing and spinoffs. The project is expected is to draw an A-list director.

The project had been set up in 2008 at 20th Century Fox with director Ridley Scott who (it was previously reported) had waited for 25 years for the rights to become available. However, the project was never made into a film after being in development for seven years and after many incarnations. At one point, the author reported that it was on its seventh script. Apparently, the option came up and the man who held the book rights for decades, Richard Edlund, chose to go another direction. It’s known that Fox also tried to hold onto the project as they have a lot of money invested in it over the years.

The project shifted over in the past month to Tatum’s Free Association production company and Roy Lee’s Vertigo Entertainment. They will produce along with Edlund and Louis Tedesco who brought the project to Lee on behalf of Edlund. Hence, Sony and Warner Bros. are both in the mix as Tatum has his deal at Sony and Vertigo Entertainment is based at Warner Bros.

Edlund is an award-winning (and well-known and respected) visual effects artist who started out at George Lucas’ ILM and worked on the original Star Wars: Episode IV – A New Hope in 1977, Star Wars: Episode V – The Empire Strikes Back in 1980 and Star Wars: Episode VI – Return of the Jedi in 1983. CAA reps Edlund and Spaihts. UTA reps Tatum.

Not really sold on the idea of Tatum as William Mandella if I'm honest.

I was excited in 2008 when this was first announced....will be excited again in 20028 when talks of making a movie from the book are started again....

Really hope this gets made at some point, the books were great, but then that didn't seem to help Child 44. There is a great movie to be made out of each of the books though.

Channing Tatum? Why? WHY!?

Boo-urns on Tatum as Mandella. Tatum could play Nelson Mandela better than he could William. I think Anthony Starr would suit the role better.

The goal is to get a good director who won't make this generic looking.

If someone can get him to stay I'd say Mark Romanek.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"