The Fortress of Solitude: The Superman Lounge

Geez, just got done watching All-Star Superman. What a mess, the comic is great but this animation was so crammed and nothing felt earned. Why bother animating it if you arent going to do it justice.

Has birthright been adapted yet?
I thought that it was a good adaptation and fairly faithful, even if it did cut out my favorite part of the comic (Jonathan’s death). Although admittedly I like but don’t absolutely love All Star. I can name probably 7 Superman comics that I love a lot more.

I’m not aware of any adaptation of Birthright.

I thought that it was a good adaptation and fairly faithful, even if it did cut out my favorite part of the comic (Jonathan’s death). Although admittedly I like but don’t absolutely love All Star. I can name probably 7 Superman comics that I love a lot more.

I’m not aware of any adaptation of Birthright.
I just thought it was so ugly compared to the comic, also I felt the comic had this real large scale, strangeness to it that made Superman feel bigger than ever but the animation looked like bad Captain Planet and all the wonderful imagery was gone.

I think I read it as a slow paced comic and wanted to take everything in and the animation wanted to be over before it began.

Gonna watch Man of Tomorrow and see how that fairs.

I just thought it was so ugly compared to the comic, also I felt the comic had this real large scale, strangeness to it that made Superman feel bigger than ever but the animation looked like bad Captain Planet and all the wonderful imagery was gone.

I think I read it as a slow paced comic and wanted to take everything in and the animation wanted to be over before it began.

Gonna watch Man of Tomorrow and see how that fairs.
In general, I don’t much care for Grant Morrison’s writing or Frank Quitely’s art. I find both to be quite nauseating. But All-Star Superman is certainly their best work.

But I get what you are saying. As I mentioned, I like All Star but I don’t find it untouchable by any stretch of the imagination. However, I have always been vocal in my opposition to any adaptation, be it live action or animation, of Kingdom Come because I don’t want to see any portion of that story left out or added to. I feel that it is beat-for-beat perfection. Whether it is the story and art by Alex Ross or the writing and dialogue by Mark Waid. It is the perfect marriage of two masters at the pinnacle of their game. It is such a layered story that is so rich with subtexts that I don’t want to see anyone shortchange it on film.

In general, I don’t much care for Grant Morrison’s writing or Frank Quitely’s art. I find both to be quite nauseating. But All-Star Superman is certainly their best work.

But I get what you are saying. As I mentioned, I like All Star but I don’t find it untouchable by any stretch of the imagination. However, I have always been vocal in my opposition to any adaptation, be it live action or animation, of Kingdom Come because I don’t want to see any portion of that story left out or added to. I feel that it is beat-for-beat perfection. Whether it is the story and art by Alex Ross or the writing and dialogue by Mark Waid. It is the perfect marriage of two masters at the pinnacle of their game. It is such a layered story that is so rich with subtexts that I don’t want to see anyone shortchange it on film.

Its funny because I am not really a fan of Alex Ross' art, i know its blasphemous to say around here but it just doesn't do it for me.

I don't have an actual strong tie to All Star, was just my observations of the animation. Just got done watching Superman Man of tomorrow and it was nice, nothing ground breaking but I think it shows Parasite as a good villain for Legacy.

"Superman is corny" "he is irrelevant" We, here dont see it that way. But, for the moment, the sad thing is that a lot of people think, that he must be grim dark to be relevant. He must be un-superman. Like a lot of people here, i don't see it that way. Why imo? For me, Superman is that guy who has the power to smash you, or rule, against our will, for "our good." But no, he believes in people and democracy. He, in the words of Christopher Reeves is a friend. He is there to help with kindness, decency and love. Like Gunn, said he is" guided by human kindness in a world that sees kindness as old-fashioned." For me, In this cynical world, Superman is more than ever relevant. People can be good.

Why do you love Superman?

"Superman is corny" "he is irrelevant" We, here dont see it that way. But, for the moment, the sad thing is that a lot of people think, that he must be grim dark to be relevant. He must be un-superman. Like a lot of people here, i don't see it that way. Why imo? For me, Superman is that guy who has the power to smash you, or rule, against our will, for "our good." But no, he believes in people and democracy. He, in the words of Christopher Reeves is a friend. He is there to help with kindness, decency and love. Like Gunn, said he is" guided by human kindness in a world that sees kindness as old-fashioned." For me, In this cynical world, Superman is more than ever relevant. People can be good.

those criticisms are from people who just don't get the character of superman.

i love the twist in superman is that even though he's an alien, he represents the best qualities of humanity.
he is reflection on humanity's potential for goodness.
for all intents and purposes, he is human.

also, superman is relatable to me because it's the ultimate immigrant story.
he is a child of two worlds, just as many children of immigrants are.
you feel like you belong to both worlds, but at the same time, you feel like you don't belong to either as well.

lastly, i just dig how his story is essentially a combination of classic myth + science fiction.
he's really the grand-daddy of all superheroes.

I watched superman red son last night. It was a lot better than I thought it would be actually! Great animation and quite brave storytelling

also, superman is relatable to me because it's the ultimate immigrant story.
he is a child of two worlds, just as many children of immigrants are.
you feel like you belong to both worlds, but at the same time, you feel like you don't belong to either as well.

Gene Luen Yang has said that this is a big part of his love of Superman and was a huge driving force undergirding his amazing graphic novel, Superman Smashes the Klan.

Gene Luen Yang has said that this is a big part of his love of Superman and was a huge driving force undergirding his amazing graphic novel, Superman Smashes the Klan.

i have this comic and it's a great superman story.

he touched on similar themes with his other story - the shadow hero...there's even a fun homage to superman in that too.

I could literally write a book on the why.

For one, my sister got diagnosed with leukemia when she was 4. My parents had me because of that. She wasn't suppose to live 6 months but hung on for 10 more years.
My dad was a huge Superman fan, so He gave me My middle name, it's Kal but with a "C".
Yup, tis true. He was a nerd lol.

Anywho, Multiple trips to st jude in memphis for my sister followed. Sometimes twice a week. 130 miles one way.

I would wait in the lobby while my parents would go in the back with her for treatments.
They would have nurses pretty much babysit the kids out in the lobby.
Anywho, I was 4 and one day a nurse brought a big stack of comics to me, IM, batman, hulk, superman etc.
Guess which I picked?

I couldn't read just yet, but I Iearned too just so I could read the really awesome pictures of this flying man in blue and red. I was hooked.

Superman the movie soon came out and I actually went to see it with a drawn on S on a T-Shirt and a cheap cape. I was cosplaying before anyone knew what it was.
My sister laughed and laughed even tho she was very sick at the time.

My sister passed away a couple years later at 14, I was 9 at the time.
I put my favorite Superman action figure in her casket with her.

Later in life, I wrote an essay on Superman and the trips to st jude, etc, and won a contest because of it.
I'm pretty much middle aged now and I still love Superman as much now as I did back then.

Last edited:
I could literally write a book on the why.

For one, my sister got diagnosed with leukemia when she was 4. My parents had me because of that. She wasn't suppose to live 6 months but hung on for 10 more years.
My dad was a huge Superman fan, so He gave me My middle name, it's Kal but with a "C".
Yup, tis true. He was a nerd lol.

Anywho, Multiple trips to st jude in memphis for my sister followed. Sometimes twice a week. 130 miles one way.

I would wait in the lobby while my parents would go in the back with her for treatments.
They would have nurses pretty much babysit the kids out in the lobby.
Anywho, I was 4 and one day a nurse brought a big stack of comics to me, IM, batman, hulk, superman etc.
Guess which I picked?

I couldn't read just yet, but I Iearned too just so I could read the really awesome pictures of this flying man in blue and red. I was hooked.

Superman the movie soon came out and I actually went to see it with a drawn on S on a T-Shirt and a cheap cape. I was cosplaying before anyone knew what it was.
My sister laughed and laughed even tho she was very sick at the time.

My sister passed away a couple years later at 14, I was 9 at the time.
I put my favorite Superman action figure in her casket with her.

Later in life, I wrote an essay on Superman and the trips to st jude, etc, and won a contest because of it.
I'm pretty much middle aged now and I still love Superman as much now as I did back then.
Sorry to hear about your sister. Thanks for sharing that.

That nurse who brought you those comics changed the direction of your life. :up::yay:

Because the most powerful being in the universe is a kind farm boy from Kansas who just wants to help.

It's a realistic yet so goddamn human ideal. One which on my worst days I wonder if it's even worth trying to live up to. Whether it's worth trying to be a kind and compassionate person in a world that every day proves to be more cruel than the last. Whether it's worth even living in that world

But then I see this panel of what a kind man with the power of a deity, when the hourglass has nearly run empty, sees as his number one priority at that moment htxcyy6opvb21-scaled.jpg

And I see the stories of how people's lives have genuinely been saved by it, even though it's just fancy pencil and ink on a piece of paper.

And that's when I remember. That's when I believe.

That's when I believe that humanity can be kind, despite its cruelty.

That's when I believe that a man could live up to that ideal and do something to make his little corner of the world a better place.

That's when I believe that a man can fly.

Last edited:
Because the most powerful being in the universe is a kind farm boy from Kansas who just wants to help.

It's a realistic yet so goddamn human ideal. One which on my worst days I wonder if it's even worth trying to live up to. Whether it's worth trying to be a kind and compassionate person in a world that every day proves to be more cruel than the last. Whether it's worth even living in that world

But then I see this panel of what a kind man with the power of a deity, when the hourglass has nearly run empty, sees as his number one priority at that moment View attachment 66759

And I see the stories of how people's lives have genuinely been saved by it, even though it's just fancy pencil and ink on a piece of paper.

And that's when I remember. That's when I believe.

That's when I believe that humanity can be kind, despite its cruelty.

That's when I believe that a man could live up to that ideal and do something to make his little corner of the world a better place.

That's when I believe that a man can fly.
The concept of someone with unlimited power being self sacrificial and possessing unlimited love for others…

If that is corny. If that is outdated. Then I want to be outdated and corny. Because I want to believe that is possible.

upload_2023-7-18_13-32-20.jpeg

Thank you guys. And thanks @GreenKToo for sharing your story as well.

It’s only outdated if we stop making an effort to make the world a better place.

there’s a Terry Pratchett quote from his version of the grim reaper where he says “if you deatomised the entire universe, you would not find a single dot of decency or manners or kindness but it’s real if you believe it and act like it is”

I’ve started watching the animated series again. Gee it’s good stuff. You forget just how much fun it is watching superman smash stuff when there’s no budget and the voice talent is amazing

Love the exchange above guys - good reminder of why Supes is so great and can inspire so many people. :up:

Is anyone like me and watches the DC films regardless if you know they are ****? I'm just starting Shazam 2 and not expecting anything good but I'm bored and figure may as well watch it to see how much something can suck.

Oh man that first (what I'm assuming) cameo of WW was terrible.

So I just finished the film and it's nothing special as I'm sure most of you know.

I really hope that Legacy has a strong visual
It will be great to be done with synderverse and onto a whole new World

Last edited:
Yeah it was dumb but had some fun moments. I’m definitely going to see aquaman 2. Sometimes you just have to go to have a good time

Yeah it was dumb but had some fun moments. I’m definitely going to see aquaman 2. Sometimes you just have to go to have a good time
I'll definitely go and see it for a good laugh at least (I hope) and some big underwater action.

I didn't hate the first one, but I didn't like it enough to see part two, which looks even sillier.

I was hoping for at least some cool flying scenes but nothing stood out. I wanna fly with Supes like the way we get to swing with Spidey, and it would be fun for Supes to have some cool aerial manoeuvers while flying around. His own version of web slinging and flipping around.

Modern jets do some pretty cool moves and drones also so maybe take inspiration from those?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"