The Fortress of Solitude: The Superman Lounge

View attachment 75746

This is at the Cleveland airport
Apparently, there’s some good-natured dispute/rivalry as to which edifice was the inspiration for the Daily Planet. Proud Clevelanders say it was the AT&T Huron Road building.

AT%26T_Huron_Rd_building.jpg

Torontonians say it was the original Daily Star (now Toronto Star) building. (And Shuster has suggested that Metropolis was modeled more after Toronto than Cleveland.)

TorontoStar3.jpg

In any case, both qualify as art deco. And neither (obviously) had a giant planet statue on its roof. :nerdy:

Last edited:
Just thought i'd drop in here to say hey! Used to be a frequent poster, disappeared for a while, looking forward to re joining the fun. The build up to MOS on here was such a blast (regardless of how I felt about the film in the end) and I'm feeling cautiously optimistic about Legacy, while gobbling up every bit of info I can get my hands on!

How's the temperature in here? You all feeling excited? Or more on the side of cautious?

Just thought i'd drop in here to say hey! Used to be a frequent poster, disappeared for a while, looking forward to re joining the fun. The build up to MOS on here was such a blast (regardless of how I felt about the film in the end) and I'm feeling cautiously optimistic about Legacy, while gobbling up every bit of info I can get my hands on!

How's the temperature in here? You all feeling excited? Or more on the side of cautious?
Hello, Hopefuldreamer. Nice to see you again.

Hey! You too! Excited for Legacy?
Sure, why not? :wink: Though… I am curious as to whether Gunn — known for his raunchy and/or irreverent approach to the genre — can produce a “traditional” Superman movie. I guess we’ll find out.

Sure, why not? :wink: Though… I am curious as to whether Gunn — known for his raunchy and/or irreverent approach to the genre — can produce a “traditional” Superman movie. I guess we’ll find out.

Yeah definitely a big question mark, but in terms of what he's said and what we've heard about the film so far... I'd say its not looking terrible!

Really don't see him going into a Superman project with the same mindset and approach as stuff like Guardians or The Suicide Squad

I don't want the exact same approach but if it doesn't very overtly feel like a James Gunn movie then him making it was a waste of time. I want his style and authorial voice to be as strong as it normally is, the important part of movies is the people making them - not the intellectual property they're adapting. Just with a very different type of central character and less focus on comedy, though frankly the overall tone of Guardians Vol. 3 isn't all that inappropriate.

I actually think there are plenty of aspects of his style that will compliment a Superman story.

I really want a film that has a lot of heart, and that can pull on my emotional strings. GOTG had me crying in the cinema in the first 5 minutes... so I'm pretty sure he can manage that.

I also really love the way Gunn handles 'cheese' like the 'We are Groot' line, where other film makers might not to be able to pull it off or might be afraid to try.

I think when it comes to his camera and ensemble work, the same dynamic approach will definitely be there. That mix of tender, acerbic and kinetic energy can all work within a bustling world of colorful characters, I assume, trying to "fix" some problem while all harboring differing morals, opinions and approaches. It's mainly the humor and the approach to the main character that is up in the air. I don't think he'll have some grand struggle w it, but it is something to think about.

I do know some people are gonna act like weirdos when Superman is fittingly funny at times though, and this film has straight up humor humor in general, since DC is supposed to be dark.

Real life has humor in the most trying of times.
I've been to structure fires where life and death was quiet literally seconds away, but we STILL managed to find humor in the moment. Not over the top humor, but still a little.

I think people often talk about humour vs 'heart' as though it's an either or. Like having humour = no emotional weight. Or having emotional weight = no humour. Which is insane to me, because alot of my favourite franchises have the heart/emotional weight they do BECAUSE of their humour. Because we've been allowed to relax and get to know and like the characters, get to see them joke around and be unserious - which makes those times things get 'real' even more powerful, as long as you can get those emotional moments right.

That's actually something I personally feel Gunn is consistently good at.

I consider myself a crier. I cry at a lot of films. Yet for some reason, I very rarely cry at anything in MCU films. Even Tony's death. Even Aunt May's death. I don't know why... but it doesn't get me going.

Gunn on the other hand, has be crying multiple times in each GOTG films.

He's getting something right there with the fun/heart balance. At least for me.

I'm not saying I expect to cry during Legacy 😅 Just... I have faith there will be an emotional journey that will be palpable.

Last edited:
Sort of off topic but I'm so sure Eric Bana was always labelled as being short but he is actually 6. 2". Last I checked that isn't short.

I thought he was Tom Cruise level of small.

I want a scene that gives me the goosebumps, like the scene in Superman Ii, when Supes returns, the music slowly builds, he lands on the flagpole outside the window and says "general, would you care to step outside"?

I must admit, I fantasise frequently about such scenes, like seeing superman give brainiac a proper whooping or watching him explore smallville properly why flying

I fantasize more about general public saves. Like saving people trapped in a crashed subway car. Rescuing people from a fire in a hotel complex.

I wanna feel that high tension, high stakes, from that outsider POV and then have Superman appear and save the day, and then be a warm & comforting presence as people calm down.

For several years now, I've had a scene in my mind of Superman saving a very large cruise ship. It's a bit long, Sorry.

The Ship sets sail on it's maiden voyage with much fanfare. A band plays. Its the largest cruise ship in the world 1,300' long, and it's loaded with hundreds of vips.

The ship is about 10 miles out.
All is going well on board so far.
Music plays, waiters bring drinks, and the vips and the rich mingle.
Suddenly, multiple explosions happen, likely terrorism ( and likely Lex, as he owns it )

The ship starts to list. People scream and run in panic. Several are killed. Smoke fills the air.

( the DP )
Breaking news hits the TV.
Clark has already heard it, and he looks up from his desk and listens.
He Peeks over his glasses and sees the unfolding disaster with his x-ray/telescopic vision.

He looks for and finds an empty room. ( the theme slowly starts to play )
( he shuts the door and reaches for his shirt.
We see an epic shirt rip with the theme slowly playing, but with very loud beats )

( the theme gets louder, faster)
Superman rockets off out a window, and heads toward the sinking ship.

Lois and Jimmy race to the roof, a helicopte is waiting. Where's clark?
I have no idea jimmy answers.

( site of the cruise ship )
Superman arrives. He analyzes the situation. Fire is burning forward, middle, and aft.
A mother and daughter are about to be caught by the fire. She embraces her daughter and closes her eyes.
The little girl says look momma as she points up.
The mother looks and sees Superman through the smoke.
He smiles at them then blows the fire out near them first.
Then the rest of the fire is extinguished by him at superspeed. Hes a blur.

He then rights the ship and stops it's descent.
He dives down into the water.
Some Passengers look down over the railing, wondering where he went.

The ship starts to shudder, some lose their balance. the ship slowly rises.

( Metropolis harbor )
First responders have gathered.
Fire, police, ems, etc, are on the harbor. Hundreds of them. Dozens of fire trucks. Police cars etc are all there.
Boats gather also.
Some civilian boats are already headed out to the rising smoke plume In the distance.

News helicopters gather. a swarm of them. Lois and Jimmy are on one of them.

The fire chief has gathered with other responders to make a plan.
suddenly Someone shouts "Look" "up in the sky".....

They all look skyward, and we see the sun blotted out.
( the theme is really blairing now )
It's the ship, hovering a few hundred feet above the harbor. A tiny figure in blue and red is underneath it, holding it up.

"Make way" a booming voice shouts. The hesitant.
One police officer shouts "you heard the man" "Move, now!"
They all scatter and move. Controlled chaos follows.

The ship slowly lowers and sits on dry ground, smashing two old empty warehouses flat in the process.
A massive Dust cloud follows..silence. (the theme stops.)

The Dust clears, and we finally see Superman walking toward the first responders.

Hundreds of first responders and passengers of the ship all look at each other, then break out in a cheer. (The Theme starts up again.)

Superman is embarrassed. He holds up a hand toward the first responders.
"Please, no. You guys are the real heroes".
They continue cheering and clapping anyway.

Superman looks down at the ground sheepishly.
He finally looks up.
He looks at all the responders and nods at them in thanks.
He just grins and takes it, as they aren't gonna stop anyway.

After making sure all passengers of the ship are safely off, superman looks up, slightly kneels, and rockets off.

Last edited:
I fantasize more about general public saves. Like saving people trapped in a crashed subway car. Rescuing people from a fire in a hotel complex.

I wanna feel that high tension, high stakes, from that outsider POV and then have Superman appear and save the day, and then be a warm & comforting presence as people calm down.
That's why (in my opinion) the plane rescue in SR is some of the best Superman content in any media.

For several years now, I've had a scene in my mind of Superman saving a very large cruise ship. It's a bit long, Sorry.

The Ship sets sail on it's maiden voyage with much fanfare. A band plays. Its the largest cruise ship in the world 1,300' long, and it's loaded with hundreds of vips.

The ship is about 10 miles out.
All is going well on board so far.
Music plays, waiters bring drinks, and the vips and the rich mingle.
Suddenly, multiple explosions happen, likely terrorism ( and likely Lex, as he owns it )

The ship starts to list. People scream and run in panic. Several are killed. Smoke fills the air.

( the DP )
Breaking news hits the TV.
Clark has already heard it, and he looks up from his desk and listens.
He Peeks over his glasses and sees the unfolding disaster with his x-ray/telescopic vision.

He looks for and finds an empty room. ( the theme slowly starts to play )
( he shuts the door and reaches for his shirt.
We see an epic shirt rip with the theme slowly playing, but with very loud beats )

( the theme gets louder, faster)
Superman rockets off out a window, and heads toward the sinking ship.

Lois and Jimmy race to the roof, a helicopte is waiting. Where's clark?
I have no idea jimmy answers.

( site of the cruise ship )
Superman arrives. He analyzes the situation. Fire is burning forward, middle, and aft.
A mother and daughter are about to be caught by the fire. She embraces her daughter and closes her eyes.
The little girl says look momma as she points up.
The mother looks and sees Superman through the smoke.
He smiles at them then blows the fire out near them first.
Then the rest of the fire is extinguished by him at superspeed. Hes a blur.

He then rights the ship and stops it's descent.
He dives down into the water.
Some Passengers look down over the railing, wondering where he went.

The ship starts to shudder, some lose their balance. the ship slowly rises.

( Metropolis harbor )
First responders have gathered.
Fire, police, ems, etc, are on the harbor. Hundreds of them. Dozens of fire trucks. Police cars etc are all there.
Boats gather also.
Some civilian boats are already headed out to the rising smoke plume In the distance.

News helicopters gather. a swarm of them. Lois and Jimmy are on one of them.

The fire chief has gathered with other responders to make a plan.
suddenly Someone shouts "Look" "up in the sky".....

They all look skyward, and we see the sun blotted out.
( the theme is really blairing now )
It's the ship, hovering a few hundred feet above the harbor. A tiny figure in blue and red is underneath it, holding it up.

"Make way" a booming voice shouts. The hesitant.
One police officer shouts "you heard the man" "Move, now!"
They all scatter and move. Controlled chaos follows.

The ship slowly lowers and sits on dry ground, smashing two old empty warehouses flat in the process.
A massive Dust cloud follows..silence. (the theme stops.)

The Dust clears, and we finally see Superman walking toward the first responders.

Hundreds of first responders and passengers of the ship all look at each other, then break out in a cheer. (The Theme starts up again.)

Superman is embarrassed. He holds up a hand toward the first responders.
"Please, no. You guys are the real heroes".
They continue cheering and clapping anyway.

Superman looks down at the ground sheepishly.
He finally looks up.
He looks at all the responders and nods at them in thanks.
He just grins and takes it, as they aren't gonna stop anyway.

After making sure all passengers of the ship are safely off, superman looks up, slightly kneels, and rockets off.
I dig this, my only change would be to have Supes have to figure out how to get the ship stable, heat vision weld the hole in the ship, and drag it across the water to safety

I never liked the aura power, looks so silly imo.
He should have to use his smarts on how to solve a problem rather than just being able to lift a giant object out of the way, it's like a pin holding up a water balloon.

Yeah. I was listening to the score for return of the king today and what an epic moment it was just with the lighting of the torches. So many different inspirational moments you can do.

But some big saves would be awesome. Or seeing lex escape with forty cakes

Yeah. I was listening to the score for return of the king today and what an epic moment it was just with the lighting of the torches. So many different inspirational moments you can do.

But some big saves would be awesome. Or seeing lex escape with forty cakes
It would be quite funny if tessmacher is planning a celebration at Lex-corp.
She asks Lex, how many cakes do you think we'll need?
He deadpans at her, how the he11 should I know.........40? Who cares?

It would be quite funny if tessmacher is planning a celebration at Lex-corp.
She asks Lex, how many cakes do you think we'll need?
He deadpans at her, how the he11 should I know.........40? Who cares?
I dunno... if he's not STEALING the cakes, it's like... why even bother?

😅

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"