The Future of The Defenders

Discussion in 'The Defenders' started by Spider-Fan, Dec 13, 2017.

1. KevTravels

KevTravels Well-Known Member

I figure earliest we see this again might be summer 2019. Latest summer 2020. And probably more likely to the latter.

2. Random490

Random490 Well-Known Member

Netflix shows are here to stay: https://www.cbr.com/marvel-netflix-tv-future-disney/

Basically the current series will be allowed to run their course. No new show will be made unless it's a spin off. I wonder if that means there's a loop hole to introduce characters in the other shows like the Punisher did?

3. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014 Champion

They do say something about putting them on platforms appropriate for that character. That gives me hope someone who fits the Netflix feel, like a Moon Knight, is possible.

4. KevTravels

I keep hearing fans say they want this, but will it ever be actually produced?

5. KevTravels

It really is telling that this wasn't as BIG a Hit as they had wanted it to be. Rather underwhelming.

6. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Well-Known Member

I'm not sure it says that about spinoffs. here's what the Bloomberg article says:

I assume if they wanted to make an Elektra series, it can only be on Netflix? Not sure.

Seems like any new shows will be on either the Disney streaming service of Hulu, which Disney will have controlling interest in. Or if it's Moon Knight, maybe they could put it on FX?

I think it sounds more like the shows that are currently on Netflix now will stay on Netflix past 2019 if they get more seasons.

7. Spider-Fan

I think if they wanted to do an Elektra series, it would have to be Netflix. Just makes sense given it would be a spin-off like Punisher was.

8. Random490

I'm sure Marvel has general say in whether or not new series are made but these guys are generally smart enough to know that a spin off show would preform better under the same platform as the original. I don't think there will be any tug of war over characters. So if they want to make an Elektra series I doubt Marvel/Disney would say no. But if they wanted to make, say, a Moon Knight series there's a lot more extra hoops to jump through and they may get a "no" from the higher ups. Or they may say "we have no plans for that character on any other platform so go for it" but I wouldn't hold my breathe over it.

9. Spider-Fan

I think my point is misunderstood a bit. Yes, Marvel has the choice to make an Elektra series, but being as though that would be a spin-off, I think Netflix (similar to Universal and the Hulk situation) would need to be presented first opportunity to distribute it. Moon Knight conversely can be aired anywhere, but given the maturity level, putting him on Netflix might be best for business as the Netflix Marvel has a reputation for that type of material.

10. UltimatePyro9

UltimatePyro9 Well-Known Member

If there is another Defenders season, for the love of Odin, have Colleen be a member. She fights with a sword, she's an ex-member of the Hand, and she's more interesting than Danny. The show should explore her backstory. Either here or Iron Fist.

11. TheVileOne

She was basically a member last season.

12. Slick

Slick Yup

13. Mike Murdock

Mike Murdock Well-Known Member

I think the idea that the mature audiences programing would go on Hulu is big news (I'd like to see the original quotes) since that affects things like formatting. A Moon Knight show or a Blade show would be released on Hulu, likely once a week, rather than all at once with Netflix.

14. Spider-Fan

It is possible Disney may change that formula.

15. Mike Murdock

Change Hulu's formula? I doubt it. They didn't for Runaways. It's in both Disney and Hulu's interest to keep everyone subscribed for each week's content. Only Netflix does things differently.

16. TheVileOne

What about FX? I mean under the acquisition, they own FX now too.

17. Mike Murdock

Always possible. Is FX at Netflix-level violence now? I guess the question is the extent Marvel television wants to have new programs in areas other than their streaming platform.

18. TheVileOne

They've pretty much been there since The Shield IMO. Just in terms of what we typically see for MCU shows, no F-bombs and only partial nudity and nothing full on

19. Spider-Fan

According to Kristen Ritter, she doesn't expect there to be a Defenders second season:

20. KevTravels

They Hyped up the show and it was a letdown. Less than spectacular.

I wonder what she will say about the frosty reception this season has gotten from audiences.

21. Primal Slayer

Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

The Defenders isn't something that should be a series imo. It should be a series of movie specials if anything which is what Netflix should look into.

22. dmcreif

dmcreif Well-Known Member

As more time goes on, and filming begins for more shows (they’ve already started on Season 2 of The Punisher), it seems less likely that we might get a second season of Defenders. However, it'd be a complete surprise if a second Defenders season didn’t happen, because at the end of the day, Netflix is a business. The Defenders may not have been their most popular show, but it was still popular, and had a ton of people who would watch a second season. I wouldn't expect anyone to be sharing that kind of information yet (they would make an official announcement), and besides, the showrunners are more informed about long-term plans than the actors. I think a second season of The Defenders is a likely possibility; it just might not happen for a while.

23. Spider-Fan

It is fine as a series, but you gotta have a lot more happen. It was only 8 episodes, and it felt like they stretched out a much shorter plot to make it run 8 episodes. They need a more epic story, more interesting villain, and a story that fits 8 episodes. Not them standing around doing nothing for 5 of 8 episodes.

It was reported to be the lowest viewed show they made, and no doubt it had the highest budget (at least per episode). I think if another attempt is to be made, a much more interesting story is needed and more care overall. But, given the lack of interest the show had, I am thinking it being 1 and done is very possible.

24. Random490

That's too bad to hear, I think the Defenders was the most fun out of all the Marvel Netflix series. I'm fine with the pacing of the first season, it made the most sense for the story, but with them having already met, had their ups and downs, and gotten to know each other means next time they can just hit the ground running. I would avoid building up too much to it, between Daredevil and Iron Fist I think a lot people got tired of the Hand. Maybe cut the episode amount, get a fun one off villain for them to face and just go crazy with it.

I really hope it's not done because it's a really fun idea that I want to see more of.

25. NotNickFury

NotNickFury Well-Known Member

Well, who or what could be an antagonist with a force or power large enough that would require all of the street heroes to band together again?