The Defenders

The Overlord

Superhero
Reaction score
Apparently, Disney may be getting the rights to the Defenders ( Daredevil, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones and Iron Fist) early from Netflix:

Marvel Could Start Getting Its Netflix Heroes Back This Year

Though apparently, Disney also considering a film with the comic book version of the Defenders:

Defenders: The MCU May Be Assembling the Original Team

What do you hope to see from either Defenders team?

I hope they keep Charlie Cox as DD and Kristen Ritter as Jessica Jones, Mike Colt is done with Luke Cage and Finn Jones was miscast as Iron Fist, so they can be recast. Also keep Jon Bernthal as the Punisher.

Last edited:
I wonder if this is more about "Defenders" for future Dr Strange use than about Luke Cage, Iron First, Daredevil and Jessica Jones

I wonder if this is more about "Defenders" for future Dr Strange use than about Luke Cage, Iron First, Daredevil and Jessica Jones
Sure could be. DD and JJ are the most interesting to me from the Netflix series and, while they don't have the same level of power as the others, I really hope there's a slot for them in the greater MCU (keep Charlie and Krysten please)

I still think it’s too early for the defenders but I guess they want them back in case they use them as supporting characters for a bit. Maybe in like ten years time.

but I would love to see them do a proper chinese mythic iron fist. That would be lovely and it wouldn’t clash with Shang chi because that’s more martial arts

If you read the comics, when the Avengers went missing for awhile, the New Avengers popped up. Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Spiderman, Wolverine and Sentry came on the scene to fill in. Can they do this for the MCU? It's very possible. But if they did, they would have to amp up Luke Cage and Iron Fist. The Netflix series made these guys very much street level guys and not being able to stand in for the A team. But I do like that cartoon where they filled in for the Avengers. One of the best ever. But just not feeling the casting for Luke Cage and Iron Fist. Really hoping they recast. Neither one of them have the essence of the heroes. Daredevil and Punisher are perfect though.

If the Defenders show up in the MCU films, I hope it is the comic version and not the Netflix heroes.

We should be able to have Namor and Silver Surfer in films now, and we already have Hulk, Dr Strange and Valkyrie. They just need to introduce Nighthawk. And I want a proper version of Hellcat, not that murderous version we saw in Jessica Jones who dismissed something resembling a comic costume.

If we get Daredevil, keep him separate from Cage and Fist, and keep the latter two as Heroes for Hire.

I don't see them doing the Defenders, let alone name a movie after it.

Good as the Netflix castings were, I think many who are really in love with those characters aren't ready for the day when Disney/Marvel Studios just ups and says 'Yes, we're recasting these characters' or that they'll have entirely new actors when they appear in the films. You'd think the casting of Mahershala Ali as Blade would be enough of an indication that Disney and Marvel Studios have next to no reason to keep going with those versions/actors when they can get new actors altogether.

You either get all or none. How can one say 'Keep Colter, Cox, and Ritter, but replace Jones' or some combination? Good or bad performance, they were all part of that world, and there'd be no reason to bring some back, but not others just because that's what some in fandom want.

Good as the Netflix castings were, I think many who are really in love with those characters aren't ready for the day when Disney/Marvel Studios just ups and says 'Yes, we're recasting these characters' or that they'll have entirely new actors when they appear in the films. You'd think the casting of Mahershala Ali as Blade would be enough of an indication that Disney and Marvel Studios have next to no reason to keep going with those versions/actors when they can get new actors altogether.

You either get all or none. How can one say 'Keep Colter, Cox, and Ritter, but replace Jones' or some combination? Good or bad performance, they were all part of that world, and there'd be no reason to bring some back, but not others just because that's what some in fandom want.
I would disagree there. Recasting any actor, even four of the five title characters is no more difficult than recasting Bruce Banner or Colonel Rhodes. What comes into question is will they do a new origin story or would they leave the plausibility that what was aired on NetFlix is part of the past of the characters like Edward Norton's Bruce Banner is the past of Mark Ruffalo's

If they do an Iron Fist movie, I just want to see him kill a dragon. How a mortal man can do that with his bare hands is something that has to been shown on film.

I would disagree there. Recasting any actor, even four of the five title characters is no more difficult than recasting Bruce Banner or Colonel Rhodes. What comes into question is will they do a new origin story or would they leave the plausibility that what was aired on NetFlix is part of the past of the characters like Edward Norton's Bruce Banner is the past of Mark Ruffalo's

The difference being that Norton and Ruffalo are playing the same character in the same universe. Whereas the Netflix characters, while being in the MCU, may as well be in their own world. But to your point, yes, recasting the actors isn't difficult at all. In fact, it won't be. My point is it will be difficult for the die-hard fans to accept that these actors won't be back. Disney+ wouldn't be promising truly connected Marvel shows to the MCU if that wasn't a clear enough way of spelling out that Netflix and company truly weren't all that connected to the grander MCU.

The difference being that Norton and Ruffalo are playing the same character in the same universe. Whereas the Netflix characters, while being in the MCU, may as well be in their own world. But to your point, yes, recasting the actors isn't difficult at all. In fact, it won't be. My point is it will be difficult for the die-hard fans to accept that these actors won't be back. Disney+ wouldn't be promising truly connected Marvel shows to the MCU if that wasn't a clear enough way of spelling out that Netflix and company truly weren't all that connected to the grander MCU.
Not because of a change of actors be it one or all five, plus villains and sidekicks if they show up,, it would have to be something in the story the characters did or was said to have been done that directly contradicted the NetFlix story lines

I’m into both versions of the Defenders and would love to see either. I would definitely prefer if they kept Cox, Ritter and Bernthal for the street heroes version.

Last edited:
you could do another big team up movie like the Avengers with the Defenders. It could be Dr Strange, Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Hulk, Valkyrie, and Hawkeye (Kate Bishop). Use the Undying Ones and the Nameless One as the villains set it in Wakanda have Black Panther call Strange to help him and in the course of the movie they call in more help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"