The Garbage Pail Kids returning to the big screen

Will a bunch of grown adults playing teenagers bully a kid around?

Outstanding. I hope it's more faithful to the source material than the original.

They used to freak me out, with their strange looking heads. I think it'd be better as a surreal horror/comedy than a kids movie.

Awesome! Now when is the Manos: The Hands of Fate remake coming? And I know I'm absolutely DYING for a reimagining of Cool as Ice!

Awesome! Now when is the Manos: The Hands of Fate remake coming? And I know I'm absolutely DYING for a reimagining of Cool as Ice!

I doubt there will be a remake; however, I am looking forward to the Blu Ray restoration.

Seriously? Well it can't be any worse than the 1st movie can it?

Nevermind I take it back this concept just wouldn't make a good movie what's so ever. However for some fun take a look at Nostalgia Critic's review of this if you haven't already it's pretty funny

Seriously? Well it can't be any worse than the 1st movie can it?

Nevermind I take it back this concept just wouldn't make a good movie what's so ever. However for some fun take a look at Nostalgia Critic's review of this if you haven't already it's pretty funny

I tried to block this from my memory. I can't believe it's happening again.

who woke up one morning and said "you know, there should really be another garbage pail kids Movie" ???

Nightmares for a new generation!

oOnSs.jpg

Hope they keep the Garbage Pail Kids Theme Song.

I don't see what type of audience who will welcome this back with open arms, including fanboys and geeks.

I know why that kid never had a family or anyone to call home. Because anyone named Dodger would murdered both his parents in his sleep for calling him that in the first place.

I can't believe the original cost 30 million dollars!!!!

I assume it cost that much to silence the rest of the cast after all those midgets "mysteriously died."

I assume it cost that much to silence the rest of the cast after all those midgets "mysteriously died."

People's careers ended after that movie flopped!

I agree with Nostalgia Critic. This movie was painful and overly disgusting.

From CA:
Don't Ask! Just Buy It! - March 21, 2012: He Didn't Think It Too Many
Douglas Wolk said:
GARBAGE PAIL KIDS
If you've ever wondered how Art Spiegelman paid the bills in the mid-'80s while he was working on RAW and the first volume of Maus, now you know. (On the Midtown list, not the Diamond list.)

From CBR February 5, 2009:
Comic Book Legends Revealed #193
Brian Cronin said:
COMIC LEGEND: Art Spiegelman started his career doing Garbage Pail Kids.

Reader Manolis V. passed along a legend that he had heard from a friend of his:

that Art ‘Maus’ Spiegelman started his career drawing Garbage Pail Kids cards

What I imagine caused the confusion is the dates.

Spiegelman’s amazing tale of the Holocaust, Maus, came out in 1986.

Garbage Pail Kids, which were co-created by Art Spiegelman, came out a year earlier.

However, Art Spiegelman by this point was already a known commodity in the comics world, particularly with the creation of Raw in 1980.

In fact, Maus first appeared years earlier (first in the early 70s as a short story and later the first six chapters of Maus were serialized in Raw), pre-dating Spiegelman’s involvement with Garbage Pail Kids.

However, the specks of truthiness in the story lay in the history of how Spiegelman actually DID start his career, and while it was not with Garbage Pail Kid, it was with Garbage.

When Spiegelman was in his late teens in the late 1960s, he was interning at Topps Bubble Gum (most notably the company that produced Bazooka bubble gum and Topps baseball trading cards) and soon found himself working on staff in Product Development.

Spiegelman was crucial to the creation of Garbage Can-dy, candy shaped like, you guessed it, garbage.

But it was his involvement with Wacky Packages that solidified his position at Topps for years to come.

Wacky Packages were trading cards that consisted of parodies of notable products, like Crust toothpaste instead of Crest, etc.

Spiegelman helped hire a veritable Who’s Who of the independent comic book scene to work on Wacky Packages, including such luminaries as Kim Deitch, Jay Lynch, Bill Griffith, Drew Friedman and Spiegelman, himself.

By this point, Spiegelman was already heavily involved in independent comics. In 1980, he and fellow artist Françoise Mouly (an artist whom Spiegelman had a some familiarity with) co-created Raw, a comic magazine geared toward the elite of the independent comics set.

In 1985, while still at Topps, Spiegelman, along with Mark Newgarden, co-created Garbage Pail Kids, which became a national sensation (even getting its own TV series and film).

The next year, Spiegelman’s acclaimed Maus stories were finished (the six chapters from Raw were re-tooled for the final book) and collected into a graphic novel, which drew considerable national acclaim. Five years later, Spiegelman released the second volume of Maus. In 1992, the series as a whole received a special Pulitzer Prize, making it perhaps THE most acclaimed graphic novel of all time.

Spiegelman left Topps in the late 1980s, presumably over dissatisfaction over creator’s rights, and has done a number of tremendous works since.

In any event, no, Garbage Pail Kids did not start Art Spiegelman’s career, but his time at Topps was clearly a big part of his life and career.

Thanks to Manolis for the question! And thanks to Jim Turoczy for an important correction (Maus’ first appearance in comics was in the 70s not 1980. Jim also correctly points out that Spiegelman goes by “art spiegelman,” sans capital letters).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"