The GL Oath

ad101867

Civilian
Reaction score
Okay, I gotta tell ya, while I'm looking forward to seeing this for story and action--that GL oath is one of the lamest pieces of writing ever put into a comic-book story. Why the heck would an interstellar police force have its guardians recite an oath that only rhymes in English??? And why would an oath be rhyming, in the first place? Just so abysmally lame. It's very cringe-inducing when you hear it in the trailer.

They should've dumped it for this movie, and instead resurrected the original: "...and I shall shed my light over dark evil. / For the dark things cannot stand the light, / The light of the Green Lantern!" Still not great, and the poetic form is hardly necessary, but at least it doesn't sound stupid like the GL oath everyone knows today.

I'm assuming they used the latter because it's the more popular (or well known) version of the Oath. It has been around for, oh... over 50 years and all. :whatever:

I have always felt the Oath had an aspect of cheese to it as well... but I thought it was very well done in the trailer (with Reynolds' eyes changing colour). To each his own.

The rings are universal translators dude. Presumably only Hal is speaking in English, he just hears whatever Sinestro, Tomar-Re, Kilowog and the Guardians say as English because of his ring. You can't say the oath "only rhymes in English" when you don't actually know what the languages of the alien creatures sound like in the first place. Yeesh.

indeed, very awesome!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"