The Great Dictator

Catman

Avenger
Reaction score
This movie was awesome, but it was a little too ahead of its time. :csad:

I was never a Chaplin guy...Abbot & Costello, Laural & Hardy, and the 3 Stooges were all way funnier than him.

It is a really great movie. Chaplin was a genius.
I saw it for the first time last year. I had been meaning to see either Modern Times or The Great Dicator for awhile, and we watched a clip from GD in a class of mine, the speech scene, which sparked me to finally see it.

It is a lot more serious than I thought it would be, and the speech at the end is great, and was really great for the time, but it's a little odd.

Great movie, Chaplin was very talented.

Was never a fan of the ending. Like I said...the movie is ahead of its time, but a little too ahead. Had Chaplin made this movie in 1946 it would have been a completely different movie with a completely different ending.

I was never a Chaplin guy...Abbot & Costello, Laural & Hardy, and the 3 Stooges were all way funnier than him.

I'm a bigger Stooge fan than a Chaplin one. And their Hitler spoof was brilliant, also ahead of its time, and perhaps a little better.

[YT]KfPYc6lvIg0[/YT]

Agreed. Moronica for Morons!

i saw this movie in a class one time. its great

Chaplin is my all time favorite comedian and The Great Dictator may be his best work(along with The Gold Rush). From what I've read,even Adolf Hitler himself has seen the film numerous times. Chaplin is brilliant. Nuff' said.
I love those classic comedians alot more than anything out there today. Chaplin,Abbott and Costello,the Marx Bros.;etc. The seem to have smart slapstick styles. Nowadays,comedy has to try and rely on raunchiness and sex jokes to be funny.

He saw it twice and never told anyone what he thought about it.

I know Chaplin was curious what Adolf Hitler thought. The fact that Adolf saw it a few times must mean he wasn't totally repulsed by it. Despite what many people think,he did have a sense of humor and I think he liked the film(of course,he wouldn't admit it to anyone.I'm sure).

I saw Great Dictator at my grandfather's house a while ago. Excellent movie. :up: Too bad some greedy social Darwinist idiots got Chaplin deported for it. :down

Yeah, that was messed up. It was a great film.

And for the record, Marx Bros > Everybody.

I'm amazed that the Marx brothers didn't come under fire during the red scare. I mean, their name was Marx. :p

This is a great movie. It is classic Chaplin and the ending for the time being the only American/Hollywood film to say anything negative (if at all) about the Nazis and the political climate of the world was simply amazing. One of the greats.

P.S. If we're just talking classic comedy (apparently spanning from the teens of the 20th century through the 1950s given the acts named), I'd say the best is hands down the Marx Bros. A Night at the Opera may be the funniest movie ever made.

P.S. If we're just talking classic comedy (apparently spanning from the teens of the 20th century through the 1950s given the acts named), I'd say the best is hands down the Marx Bros. A Night at the Opera may be the funniest movie ever made.

I can't agree more. I got to see it a revue theatre and it was a tremendous experience.

I think the Stooges were defintely the best. They were simply, IMHO, the best physical comedians to ever live. And I cant believe I forgot to mention the Marx Bros. earlier. I should really d/l a Night at the Opera...havent seen it in forever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"