The Guest - Terminator Meets Halloween

chamber-music

Infinity Ammo
Reaction score
The_Guest_Sundance_550x814_439x650.jpg

The_Guest_Feat.jpg

The_Guest_3.jpg

The_Guest_2_726x248.jpg

Director Adam Wingard and screenwriter Simon Barrett who's previous effort You're Next proved successful follow it up with Horror Thriller The Guest starring Downton Abbey's Dan Stevens as a "Ryan Gosling's character from Drive meets the Terminator-esque super villian". A synth-driven, colorful, Carpenter font-using movie with a 80's vibe. Lance Reddick from The WIRE, Fringe and American Horror Story also shows up in a cool, gun-toting part.

Still struggling over the loss of their oldest son, Caleb, to the war in Afghanistan, the Peterson family finds some solace when an unexpected visitor knocks on its door. David, a steely eyed and charismatic soldier who was recently discharged, is welcomed into their home when he comes to fulfill a promise he made to his fallen comrade. Siblings Anna and Luke are at first reluctant to accept David’s presence, but he soon wins them over by scoring kegs for Anna’s friends and roughing up some bullies from Luke’s school. Though he appears to be the perfect houseguest, a mysterious and sinister chain of events causes Anna to question whether David is actually whom he claims to be

Adam Wingard also acted in and directed the Tape 56 and Phase I Clinical Trials segments fom V/H/S 1 & 2.

The film is getting lots of buzz at the sundance film festival.

Last edited:
I heard about this online somewhere, I really wanna check this film out it sounds pretty rad.

The film is getting rave reviews.

From Vanity Fair
The Guest
We’re in the era of 1980s genre adoration, an emerging wave of filmmakers riffing on the bloody, campy, atmospheric images that flooded their video rental stores and late night cable access channels as kids. It’s a cyclical trend—James Cameron (Terminator) and John Carpenter (The Thing) did basically the same thing to ’50s B-movies. The result is horror throwbacks, indie sci-fi, and movies like The Guest, the ultimate genre movie love letter. Adam Wingard and Simon Barrett, who previously rewired the home invasion picture for their horror-comedy You’re Next, tip their hat to everything from Road House tough guys to super soldiers to the Halloween movies, never falling into spoof territory. The Guest is its own beast, proving Downton Abbey’s Dan Stevens—surprisingly ripped—to be total action star material, as he busts up bad guys and good guys alike. At a midnight Sundance screening, Wingard and Barrett’s movie brought down the house, hitting beats of jaw-dropping violence and intentional overacting with absolute grace. The Guest is big, it’s bold, it’s badass, full of flavor Hollywood wishes it could pour over its vanilla blockbusters. How hard can it be?! They did it in the ’80s.

Wow that sounds SOOOOOO freakin awesome, I can't wait to get a chance to see this.

Icon Films have picked up UK distribution for the film.

That's great news, the sooner I get a chance to see this the better.

I do wanna see this sooner than You're Next, which while good, got massively overhyped while it sat in limbo.

I've been really impressed by Dan Stevens transformation from a poor man's Hugh Grant to creepy american accented thriller villain in this movie and Liam
Neeson vehicle A Walk Among The Tombstones.

Looks like it could be good, but I'm apprehensive because I thought You're Next was lame.

Dan Stevens has potential despite his super generic name.

He's also like Ryan Gosling, Chris Pine or Bradley Cooper where he's the type of a dude who looks more handsome as he gets older. The baby faced freshness hinders certain actors for certain roles.

Yeah, this does look great. When does it come out?

UK release is September 5th.

EDIT - According to The Guest's USA Facebook account, the release date for you 'Muricans is September 17th. :hehe:

B9LWZjS.jpg

Last edited:
Just back from seeing this as it gets it's UK release today.

Totally blown away how much I loved it. Posted my small review in the 'Last Movie You Watched' thread but I can gush even more about it here.

Dan Stevens is perfect in the role of David, as a charming but brutally violent man with a mystery to him. A great throwback to 80s slasher movies and quite a bit of dark humour too. I'll be going to see it again for sure. Amazing.

Cast him as Daniel Craig 's successor for Bond 26 or 27.

It's funny how Dan Stevens looks better now than he did a few years ago. He wasn't ugly on Downtown Abby, but since working out like crazy, he's lost his baby fat and got more handsome.

Before and After:

4hlS9IC.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"