DC's "Infinite Halloween Special"

Advanced Dark

Avenger
Reaction score
http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=121228

DAN DIDIO ON INFINITE HALLOWEEN SPECIAL
Hallowween.jpg
by Matt Brady

The solicitations for DC’s offerings in October have hit, and Executive Editor of the DCU Dan DiDio is pulling a favorite back out, with the Infinite Halloween Special, an 80-page anthology style book, featuring Arkham’s “guests” trying to out-spook one another with their respective horror stories. As per the stricture, the special also features a ton of writers and artists, including some newbies by the names of Peter Johnson (TV's Supernatural), David Arquette (Scream), Cliff Dorfman (Entourage).

We spoke with DiDio about the special.

Newsarama: Another major holiday, another “Infinite” special, huh? This follows the same format of last year’s Infinite Holiday Special, right?

DD: Absolutely. We felt that, just like Christmas, Halloween was the perfect opportunity for us to do a little one-off that give us an opportunity to work with people who don’t normally get a chance to work with DC Comics on a regular basis. I’m a huge fan of the anthology format, so this is just a lot of fun for me.

NRAMA: But when you say, “anthology format” in today’s comics scene, I think a lot of people have a mental checklist of who that might be – comics creators that aren’t in the spotlight, or due to their speed can’t work on a monthly title. But looking at the lineup here,…David Arquette? Cliff Dorfman, Peter Johnson? How did you get those guys involved? I know that David is into comics, as he had that comic book tie-in to his recent horror movie, but the others?

DD: These are a lot of people that (Editor) Eddie Berganza has been talking to over the last couple of years who always have been interested in working with DC. Scheduled never worked out, and projects never lined up, so it was fun to be able to pull something like this together, because it gave everybody the opportunity to play with their favorite character, and not worry about how it fits into a particular story – just to have fun with a Halloween theme.

NRAMA: With creators coming in from outside of comics, how did they land on their respective characters and stories?

DD: A lot of the stories came from which characters they wanted to work with, and they built their story around that.

Basically, what Eddie did was that he had in his mind particular genres not only within the DCU, but also in horror fiction: werewolves, witches, ghosts, vampires. Eddie set out then to fill all those basic food groups in the course of this special. When they first pitched it to me, they had the types of stories down, and their list of who they wanted to write it.

NRAMA: And what about your story? Where did that come from?

DD: They approached me and asked if I wanted to be involved in a Blue Devil story. I like the character a lot, and it was fun to pull out the old issues to get the feel and tone of the character again, and Ian Churchill was dying to draw it. It was a fun collaboration.

NRAMA: And the solicitation mentions that it features the return of Resurrection Man – that’s being handled by Dan and Andy?

DD: Yup – they’re bringing him back into action. With a name like Resurrection Man, you can always expect him to come back. Let’s see, and the rest of the creators are…

Zombies: Steve Niles and Dean Ormston
Werewolves: Cliff Dorfman, David Arquette and Bernard Chang
Vampires: Peter Johnson
Young Frankenstein: Peter Tomasi and Peter Snejbjerg
Witches (Aquaman): Tony Bedard and Sebastian Fiumara
Demons: Paul Dini and Dustin Nguyen
Ghosts: Marc Bernadin, Adam Freeman and Eric Battle
Monsters (Batzarro, Bizarro): Kal-El Bagdanov and Jon Bogdanov
Maniacs in Smallville: Steve Seagle
Death (“The Fastest Man Dead”): Mark Waid
Resurrection Man: Dan Abnett, Andy Lanning and Tony Daniel

And beginnings and openings by Dan and Andy, with art by Trevor Hairsine.

NRAMA: What’s the hook these kinds of specials have for you?

DD: I just like these things – I love the larger format, and the chance to get a lot of different stories and a chance to see a lot of different characters. In this case, the range of talent that’s been brought in and the variety of people involved in it makes it more exciting.

I'm more of a Marvel guy but I'll be grabbing a copy of this the day it comes out. :)

Yeah I like it when people get creative like this and have some fun with the material.

The return of Resurrection Man should be good either way.

David Arquette?! Did I read that right?

^ Yep. His bud Cliff too who's also written for the show Entourage. That's where I got this info BTW. ;)

I guess they have to put "Infinite" on it so it will sale, but it makes me sad that they have to lump cool stuff like this in with crappy cross-overs. They should be able to sell these well without shoe-horning them into "Infinite" this or that. They're just ****ing lazy.

^ The title isn't as important as the content when it comes to reading.

But how will we judge it by its cover if the title is so misleading?

^ How do you know it's misleading? Also you should know not to judge a book by it's cover. ;)

Because the issue sounds good, which means it probably doesn't have anything to do with Infinite Crisis. But its title implies it does.

^ I'll try to find out more on the title and why they did that and if it was just for marketing.

It's likely because some of these stories are taken from the Multi-verse. Like the Vampire Batman on the cover. That Batman is on one of the other 51 Earths.

Hey Guys-
Advanced just shot me an email asking about the Infinite of it all- I'm going to shoot the DC'ers an email about it as now you've all gotten my curious about it as well! More soon-

Yeah, but only really anal-retentive people edit their posts to correct spelling errors.

Like me. :(

Okay- so found out a LITTLE bit about why it's called "Infinite" though not much- I have been told that it's because last year we had a DC Inifinite Holiday Special and we had Infinite Crisis going on then. They just wanted to keep it consistant- there ya go- not sure that actually sheds light on anything BUT I did get an official answer- thoughts?

Didn't care about the name in the first place so, meh.

Okay- so found out a LITTLE bit about why it's called "Infinite" though not much- I have been told that it's because last year we had a DC Inifinite Holiday Special and we had Infinite Crisis going on then. They just wanted to keep it consistant- there ya go- not sure that actually sheds light on anything BUT I did get an official answer- thoughts?

Thanks Cliff. It's something. :)

Your response is fitting Anubis- I would expect nothing less from the God of Apathy-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"