"The Cat In The Hat" Returns To The Big Screen

Marvel Spider

An Insomniac.
Reaction score
In 3D and in CGI. I had a slight feeling that this would happen.

EXCLUSIVE: After topping the box office the past two weeks with Dr. Seuss’ The Lorax, Universal Pictures, Illumination Entertainment’s Chris Meledandri, and Audrey Geisel will tap the Dr. Seuss library for another classic title, and this one is a surprise. They will begin developing a 3D CG-animated feature based on The Cat in the Hat. Rob Lieber has just been set to write the script. Meledandri will produce and Geisel will be executive producer.

Aside from Green Eggs And Ham and How The Grinch Stole Christmas!, The Cat In the Hat is arguably the most famous story generated by Theodor Dr. Seuss Geisel. The surprise comes from the fact that Universal turned it into a live action film in 2003. That film grossed $101 million domestic and $133 million worldwide, it cost about $109 million to make and was considered a big disappointment. While a live action Grinch was a big hit for Universal, Meledandri and Mrs. Geisel believe that the Cat has more than one life on the big screen. It is a very popular ride in Universal’s Islands of Adventure theme park, a ride that was always based on Dr. Seuss’s original drawings. The feeling among Meledranadi, Mrs. Geisel, and Universal Films chairman Adam Fogelson and co-chairman Donna Langley is that Seuss’s works connect better in animation, prompting Universal’s decision to make this the next project.

Meledandri started the relationship with Mrs. Geisel and the estate of her husband when he ran Fox Animation and made Horton Hears A Who there. He brought over the relationship when he agreed to start a family film division for Universal. It took a couple of years to set up a studio and stable of animators, but Illumination has been a boon for Universal’s turnaround. The division has generated three films so far, none of which cost more than $70 million. Between Despicable Me, Hop and by the time Dr. Seuss’ The Lorax has completed its revenue run, the three films will likely surpass $1 billion in global box office receipts. Despicable Me has a sequel in the works, with Al Pacino voicing the villain.

Illumination is separately working on a film about the life of Dr. Seuss, with Johnny Depp attached to play him. It’s contemplated as a live action film interspersed with animation, and it will be produced by Meledandri, David Kennedy and Infinitum Nihil’s Depp and Christi Dembrowski. Mrs. Geisel will be executive producer. Keith Bunin is writing the script.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/03/dr-seuss-the-cat-in-the-hat-get-new-life-at-chris-meledandris-illumination/

Not Surprising I think they want us to wash that Mike Myers Cat in the Hat film out of our mouths. I don't mind a CGI Cat in the Hat film the Lorax I thought was pretty good. ALthough I wished they would've done Green Eggs and Ham. No matter release it in March close to Dr. birthday and I'm sure it will do well.

CGI/3D?

**** that ****, I want stop-motion. :argh:

There's already a half hour cartoon on PBS Kids with Martin Short as the Cat in the Hat.

While I agree that the Mike Myers version was bad, this is moving backwards. Reboots for children's movies now?

They were supposed to move on to Green Eggs & Ham, damn it.:cmad:

While I agree that the Mike Myers version was bad, this is moving backwards. Reboots for children's movies now?

They were supposed to move on to Green Eggs & Ham, damn it.:cmad:

Agreed. There's so many awesome Dr. Seus books that it is very disappointing that we're getting a reboot instead of a new adaptation of another book.

Yeah, but I guess Cat in the Hat needed it.
I actually really liked Horton hears a Who.
And I would be lying if I said that The Grinch isnt people´s guilty pleasure.

The Grinch as a film felt really stretched out..

Eh. Carrey's Grinch isn't perfect. But I would take it any day of the week over Myers' Cat in the Hat.

Maybe Tim Allen can finally play (as the voice) the Cat. He literally looks like him.

If not get Bill Hader.

Agreed. There's so many awesome Dr. Seus books that it is very disappointing that we're getting a reboot instead of a new adaptation of another book.

There really are no boundaries on what people will reboot these days.:whatever:

The Grinch as a film felt really stretched out..
What Dr. Seuss movie do you know that didn't feel really stretched out?

Yeah, but I guess Cat in the Hat needed it.
I actually really liked Horton hears a Who.
And I would be lying if I said that The Grinch isnt people´s guilty pleasure.

I love that movie, and I don't feel the least bit guilty saying that. Still watch both versions around Christmas time.

Maybe Tim Allen can finally play (as the voice) the Cat. He literally looks like him.

If not get Bill Hader.

If Tim Allen plays the Cat, maybe we'll see Abigail Breslin's brother in his 100th Tim Allen Movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"