Stand-Alone Movies The "I want a KOTOR/Old Republic era/Revan movie" thread

Revan's race/gender wasn't ambiguous. It was chosen by the player. They decided with his return in the Old Republic MMO game that he would be a white male. That may not be canon any more, but a film would also have to choose one.

I love KotOR. But when Disney begins exploring this era I hope they do something new rather than tell the same story again. Especially if they do make some movies set in this time period.

Revan's race/gender wasn't ambiguous. It was chosen by the player. They decided with his return in the Old Republic MMO game that he would be a white male. That may not be canon any more, but a film would also have to choose one.
what I meant was, could the makers of the movie choose to change the character (as the players in the game could choose) an use a female Revan for example

Last edited:
I would like to see a KotoR/Revan film. With Kylo Ren's Revan-esque look and supposedly ancient lightsaber they could always have some light connection to a KotoR movie and the Force Awakens or future main SW films.

Though I would agree with Lord somewhat. I would like it if any potential KotoR film established their technology as being less advanced than that of the timeline of the main movies. It doesn't need to be drastic, just enough clues and references that show they don't have the same knowledge or capabilities as those living in the main films timeline.

I'd prefer it if they just leave the whole tech thing alone. But now that you mention it, how could you go about making it slightly less advanced?

I think the best way to make the technology seem less advanced is just making the whole look more Arthurian mixed with some technology, some of my favorite visuals in this era during the games were all the Jedi and Sith temples.

In A New Hope, Obi-Wan mentions the lightsabers being used for a more "civilized" era, and that they weren't as random as a blaster, pretty similar to how certain Samurai didn't like firepower (even though according to most history records, they used bow and arrow more often than swords). So my proposal would be to make blasters less common, if the main saga's period is like the wild west, then this era should be more like an age of knights. Taking this into account, force wilders wouldn't be as fast and not all of them would be able to deflect gun blasts.

Theoreticaly, the ships would be as fast either, in the main saga we all know that they only take a few hours to days in order to go from a certain planet to another, it would be interesting to see how different the dynamic would be if it took them months to even years between locations, it would make wars goo differently, pretty much how wars used to be waged 1000 years ago. Would also explain why the original Jedi vs Sith war took so long, without having it look "bigger and more epic" than the wars shoun in the main saga.

I hink there are other littles ways to make it clear that technology isn't as advanced in this time, the thing with keeping the technology static in the SW unvierse is that in the original saga, things seem to advance a bit technologicaly as time goes by. Isn't even one of the upcoming Rebels episodes apparently dealing with the appearance of one of the ships that would be used in the original trilogy? The Clone Wars show also had some military advancements done during th war.

As for how this period is explored,i think that keeping it as part of the Anthology series could be a bit limiting, if Disney sees a major success in the brand, then it's doubtful that they would stop a bit after Episode IX, instead of going right to Episode X, i think they could go to this period and try making a Knights of the Old Republic Trilogy.

This era would open up a whole new can of worms, and could even spin off a whole set of stories dealing with the original Jedi vs Sith conflict. If Star Wars centers around Jedi vs Sith, the whole story would pretty much be divided into 2 parts, the first one being more like a "period of knights", while the second one would be the Skywalker saga which is shoun in the main Episodes, with the 1000 years of peace in between being a sort of timeskip between both eras.

well I meant was, could the makers of the movie choose to change the character (as the players in the game could choose) an a use a female Revan

Ok, now I get you. I guess they could change it so Revan is a woman. Though my personal preference is for Revan as a guy.

I'd prefer it if they just leave the whole tech thing alone. But now that you mention it, how could you go about making it slightly less advanced?

To me it would largely be picking and choosing what technology they do and don't have and in some cases showing less advanced versions of what they do in other cases. Nothing too drastic, like making it seem like the stone age, it would still be a futuristic sci-fi setting, just not up to par with modern SW.

For example, I didn't mind the prequels being shiny and new. I did mind some of the walkers and those stupid droids from Episode 3 that clings onto the ships. Those do not feel like Star Wars to me, and they're just too advanced for they own good. I thought the Prequels should've had more sophisticated design, lower-tech engines. Like the cars from the 30's and 40's are beautiful, but they're not like a sports car of today. But they the old school cars are more elegant, however.

I think the best way to make the technology seem less advanced is just making the whole look more Arthurian mixed with some technology, some of my favorite visuals in this era during the games were all the Jedi and Sith temples.

In A New Hope, Obi-Wan mentions the lightsabers being used for a more "civilized" era, and that they weren't as random as a blaster, pretty similar to how certain Samurai didn't like firepower (even though according to most history records, they used bow and arrow more often than swords). So my proposal would be to make blasters less common, if the main saga's period is like the wild west, then this era should be more like an age of knights. Taking this into account, force wilders wouldn't be as fast and not all of them would be able to deflect gun blasts.

Theoreticaly, the ships would be as fast either, in the main saga we all know that they only take a few hours to days in order to go from a certain planet to another, it would be interesting to see how different the dynamic would be if it took them months to even years between locations, it would make wars goo differently, pretty much how wars used to be waged 1000 years ago. Would also explain why the original Jedi vs Sith war took so long, without having it look "bigger and more epic" than the wars shoun in the main saga.

I hink there are other littles ways to make it clear that technology isn't as advanced in this time, the thing with keeping the technology static in the SW unvierse is that in the original saga, things seem to advance a bit technologicaly as time goes by. Isn't even one of the upcoming Rebels episodes apparently dealing with the appearance of one of the ships that would be used in the original trilogy? The Clone Wars show also had some military advancements done during th war.

As for how this period is explored,i think that keeping it as part of the Anthology series could be a bit limiting, if Disney sees a major success in the brand, then it's doubtful that they would stop a bit after Episode IX, instead of going right to Episode X, i think they could go to this period and try making a Knights of the Old Republic Trilogy.

This era would open up a whole new can of worms, and could even spin off a whole set of stories dealing with the original Jedi vs Sith conflict. If Star Wars centers around Jedi vs Sith, the whole story would pretty much be divided into 2 parts, the first one being more like a "period of knights", while the second one would be the Skywalker saga which is shoun in the main Episodes, with the 1000 years of peace in between being a sort of timeskip between both eras.

For example, I didn't mind the prequels being shiny and new. I did mind some of the walkers and those stupid droids from Episode 3 that clings onto the ships. Those do not feel like Star Wars to me, and they're just too advanced for they own good. I thought the Prequels should've had more sophisticated design, lower-tech engines. Like the cars from the 30's and 40's are beautiful, but they're not like a sports car of today. But they the old school cars are more elegant, however.

Nicely done, good posts.

Sort of tangential, but if Disney are committed to the idea of Episodes X-XII (I'd rather end it with the ST, but if there's money to be made) then I think having a KotOR trilogy in between would be a great way to give the ST cast time off. Give us time to miss them before they make their epic returns (as well as time to age, since a whole trilogy plus Anthology movies would be five to seven years), and we explore something we've never quite seen before in the meantime.

This comes from theforce forums, but i thought i should post it here too, it's what we know so far inside the canon regarding the story in-universe before the events of the main saga:

There was a species that first invented hyperdrive before the Republic (Tarkin).
The Jedi served the Old Republic for 1000 generations. (ANH) The droid Huyang served the Jedi Order from its beginning. (A Test Of Strength)
The Jedi and Sith fought over control of the galaxy, these conflicts involved the use of superweapons that contained Kyber crystals. (The Big Bang)
The Sith built a shrine on Coruscant approx 6000 years prior to the Empire. (Tarkin).
It hadn't been visited in 5000 years prior to the Empire. (Tarkin).
The Sith created multiple empires and used slave labor. (Escape From Kadavo)
The Sith homeworld Moraband/Korriban was abandoned after many wars. (Sacrifice)
A specific type of distress code used by the Jedi Order was last used 2000 years prior to the CW. (Overlords)
The Mandalorian warriors fought Jedi in multiple wars and once raided the Jedi Temple during the fall of the Old Republic, stealing the Darksaber. (The Mandalore Plot)
Huyang served onboard the Crucible for over 1000 years. (A Test Of Strength)
Coruscant was last attacked 1000 years before the CW. (Heroes On Both Sides)
The Sith were defeated and believed wiped out 1000 years before the CW. (TPM, Tarkin) Darth Bane was the only known survivor. (Sacrifice)
He later trained an apprentice in secret and got killed at some point. (Sacrifice)
The Jedi buried his corpse in a sarcophagus on Moraband, creating a shrine to mark the end of the Sith. (Moraband SW.com profile)
The defeat of the Sith Order heralded the end of a "dark age", the end of the last galactic war (AOTC), the formation of the Galactic Republic (AOTC) and the demilitarization of the Republic. (Tarkin)
The Yavin Convention is held around this time, where the Yavin Code is created, granting persons about to be executed the right to be blindfolded. (The Big Bang)

It's also interesting to note that Darth Bane's weapon is very different from the modern lightsabers:

45500f1c61973a22c3ea36bc4da62bffd2045af9.jpg

e696a0eede545db460b9f48cffe94bac313667dc.jpg

Whenever Disney decides to revisit this time period, i realy hope they make use of this vast difference in time to be more original with the aesthetic, the original EU made the main saga look like just another Jedi vs Sith conflict and kinda diminished some of Sheev's accomplishments, imao.

technically, your not suppose to know that your picking the race/gender of Revan when picking your character... so for the first part of the game, in all the early cinematics Revan is always shown in full hood an mask to hide any characteristic, to keep the character ambiguous, before the reveal

Would you guys want an Old Republic trillogy or a 5+ season HBO style series? (Minus excessive nudity/language) of you had to choose?

^Hello Final Relief, I would rather have a Old Republic/Darth Revan Series for Netflix/HBO.
Perhaps have it focus on a new character living in the Old Republic era with Revan, Bastila , Jolee, Canderous, T3-M4 and HK-47 as supporting characters.

5+ seasons please!!

That's what I was thinking too. Go dark side for season one, light side for season 2 based on KOTOR 2

I haven't had a Netflix subscription in years.. so something like this would definitely bring me back.

Man that'd be so cool. I'd watch a netflix adaption of Shadows of the Empire as well.

I thought it would be interesting to have, as someone mentioned, a new "saga" set in the early days of the Jedi and Sith, so they can avoid going to X, XI, and XII (which I don't really want). I also agree about a different aesthetic, and could see things like a Republic or pre-Republic era with less known planets (maybe a film in the Dawn of the Jedi era with only about five or six planets known to each other) and a different set of planets being important. Like, Alderaan is one of the major planets, Coruscant has only just begun industrialization, Corellia has a lot of hold, maybe Mon Calamari and a few others are known. None of the Outer Rim is known (we could see them discovered later), and like someone said, space travel is slower. I'd also like to see the progression of lightsabers, different designs to ships, the early form of the Jedi, and the early Sith empires.

Sign me up. I pay for a series of films set in this Era. Time to move on from what the prequels could have been. I'm ready for a Revan story that includes countless wars like the hyperspace and Mandalorian Wars :up: include characters like Bastila, Shae Vizla and Darth Malek.

I second the idea of a Revan movie. That would be an awesome way to get the backstory of the real Sith. They could also take pretty big artistic license - I certainly wouldn't want them to basically film SW:KOTOR / SWTOR, though I'd obviously want several of the original KOTOR characters to feature, example: Mission. The ending would be a surprise, as long as we don't go with "canonized" SWTOR ending - it was the user's choice which path to travel in KOTOR. Finally this is a completely different era.

Yes please!! Huge SWTOR fan here. I love playing the game and I have played KOTOR and its sequel but its been a while. I always thought Revan was a male from the get go. lol.

I'm unsure about it. I'd say tweak him and tone him down. Characters like Ahsoka, and Revan have that fan-fic impact aura. Unfortunately, we have Ahsoka force her way into Anakin's legacy by being the FIRST to show Vader compassion (when that was Luke's role), and Revan is this OP force guru..Anakin is THE force user from a narrative standpoint to walk the light and the dark. To make a Revan movie about the man who did that first just minimizes some of the significance of it.

At the end of the day, Revan is a video game character and not a canon character. Put me on the "keep him a non-canon" video game character.

IF they use him, he is gonna need tweaking. I'm fond of a movie for that era, but make up a jedi hero, Revan is too much of "fanfictional Anakin 2.0"

Bump

Knights of the Old Republic/Old Republic era movie series with Lucas involved would probably win back many fans.

I wouldn't mind them leting Lucas be more involved. He had amazing ideas. But i certainly wouldn't want to see him writing the script or directing.

Knights Of The Old Republic would be so epic if they made it.

We kind of already are getting a Darth Revan trilogy with Episodes 7-9. Kylo Ren is an amalgam of Revan and Jaicen Solo, with Rey as his Bastilla. They already have the main parts of their story: starts off as enemies only to fall in love and form a Force Bond that connects them mind, body, and soul. And Adam Driver is the physical embodiment of DR's appearance both being tall, thin, and long black hair. And both Kylo and Revan comes from a famous family and the pressures of upholding their legacies prove to much for them to bear.

Jaicen's story is taken beat for beat too: Han & Leia's son falls to the dark side; kills a family member to prove his loyalty to it and his master.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"