The Internet is Bad for You!

Whirlysplat

Superhero
Reaction score
Heavy Net users are loners, study suggests
Aug. 2, 2006. 05:49 PM
CANADIAN PRESS

Canadians who spend more time online are more likely to neglect family and real-life friends, says a new Statistics Canada survey, but experts say the numbers paint a bleaker picture than personal experience and other research suggests.

The survey, which examined the Internet habits of 20,000 people across the country, found heavy Internet users — those who spent more than an hour a day surfing the Web for fun — spent at least half an hour per day on the computer rather than interacting with spouses or children.

They also found themselves alone for two extra hours a day and were more likely to shirk household chores, the study concluded.

Jeffrey Boase, a PhD candidate at the University of Toronto who will shortly defend his thesis on email and social networks, said the Internet has saved him from social isolation.

“I spend a lot of time working in solitude, and the Internet is one way to be more social," said Boase, who spends an average of 10 hours a day online.

“If anything, it’s helped me stay more connected."

Boase is not among those Internet users who spend time in chat rooms developing relationships with strangers. The majority of his online contact is with friends or co-workers with whom he would not have a chance to socialize in person, he said.

Frequent e-mail exchanges help him cope with his workload and feel connected to life outside the home in which he does most of his work, he added.

“The assumption is that the Internet is causing these things to happen, but, I mean, it may be the other way around,” Boase said.

“It may be that people who are already prone to spending a lot of time alone may be online. ... It’s possible they may be sending e-mail to people. So even though they’re physically alone, they may not be emotionally alone."

Barry Wellman, a professor of sociology at the University of Toronto, acknowledged that online social networks do occasionally displace family interaction, but said such a trend is to be expected with society’s increasing reliance on technology.

“We’re all becoming heavy Internet users over time,” Wellman said. “We lead somewhat different lifestyles now that include the computer.”

Some experts found the Statscan research supported their own findings and confirmed their negative experiences with respect to what online excess can do to families.

Kimberly Young, founder of the Center for Online Addiction in Pennsylvania, said she has seen many families suffer because of one person’s Internet addiction.

“It’s like the television,” she said. “It’s something of electronic noise competing for our attention, so it’s easy to lose track of one’s loved ones.”

Online affairs are now one of the leading causes of divorce, said Young, who is even more concerned about the children of heavy Internet users, who will often mimic the habits of their parents.

She cited the example of a 15-year-old girl who began meeting older men online as a way of imitating her mother’s online habits.

Boase, the son of a computer programmer, said the influence of a computer-savvy parent was nothing but positive.

“My father knew a lot about computers, and actually by interacting with him, I learned about computers myself,” he said. ``It gave us a common interest. It was something we could talk about later. It was just an activity I did, like playing sports.”

Alan Mirabelli, executive director of the Vanier Institute of the Family, was more concerned about the Internet’s influence in conjunction with tv or other media.

“When you look at it on the surface, you say, ’A half-hour? Well, that’s reasonable.’ But if that same person is watching two to three hours of television a day, you’re putting off conversations that may be essential to members of your family.”

Some people also use the excuse of work to mask their Internet use and help bury pending family problems, Mirabelli added.

Young and others said the Statscan numbers do not suggest a pervasive national problem, since serious Internet addictions only impact five to 10 per cent of the population.

But Young cautioned parents and children alike to maintain a balance between online and offline activities.

“Certainly people can develop new friendships and explore new cultures in a very intensive way, but if you spend all your time online, you won’t develop team-work skills or learn how to interact properly,” she said. ”Anything done to excess can be problematic.”

Thoughts?

- Whirly

The internet is very ainti-social in a way i think. In a way im connected with people but i would rather see them. But im to busy on the hype....

Gee, this is all a total surprise.

No, seriously, I am shocked.

dialog-vega1.gif
Oh wow...how shocking. You mean people come onto the internet pretending to be different personas while neglecting real life issues and socialization.

Please, I've been a loner since the 5th grade.

The internet really won't make me any more of it.

I'm on the internet when my loved ones are away, at work, asleep, etc.:confused:
I'm here because I have so much love to give, and my TV doesn't love me back.:confused:

Should I try to up my hours of TV and DVD viewing to try and achieve normalcy?:(

Well, I don't have much of a social life to begin with (I have a few real friends), so this doesn't bother me.

ANTHONYNASTI said:
Well, I don't have much of a social life to begin with (I have a few real friends), so this doesn't bother me.
Yeah, but "friends" aside, remember, like I said, the internet can help to bring families together. Like for Sex-Ed and stuff.

fs.jpg

Wilhelm-Scream said:
Yeah, but "friends" aside, remember, like I said, the internet can help to bring families together. Like for Sex-Ed and stuff.

fs.jpg

Very true.

*gaaaaaaaaaaaaaasp!* :eek: Internet! Bad for you?! :eek:

You'd think they'd be upping the 'positives' of the net and comps :o Since computers are the wave of the future, we're gonna need as many l33t g33ks we can get. These computers don't program themselves ya know.

The Last Meatbag said:
Real life friends are overrated :o

Nah, when joo have good ones they rock. I have like. Maybe three to five close buddies and all the rest are just "Hi!". It's awesome.

Totally. I hope one of them becomes a dentist so I have access to nitrous oxide.

The study only applies to Canadians, apparently, so I'm okay with this. :up:

jag

jaguarr said:
The study only applies to Canadians, apparently, so I'm okay with this. :up:

jag

Haha. :up:

Btw, the net doesn't make me spend less time with people. I just go on at night.

"Boase is not among those Internet users who spend time in chat rooms developing relationships with strangers"

LOL. wicked Burn on the Hype Folk.

I've been a loner forever.:confused:
I only like:

1) my girlfriend
2) The Lead singer in my old band
2.5) 3 childhood friends I never speak with anymore, but when we get together it's just like old-days.
3) My old keyboardist
4) a bunch of.....well, 4 people,.....well......8 people from S.L.C.
5) Me Mum
6) Tina
7) My new keyboardist's friend

F***...sorry If most the people I meet are dumb-s***s.:( *shrug*

I guess it was detrimental,...how I inadvertantly stumbled upon text-based people that I can really relate to, like Lee, jag, Erz, E77, muscles, Daisy and whatnot.....

Whadda nightmare!:eek:
:rolleyes:

Distance sucks ass, I have trouble making Long lasting friends because like most of the world I have a heavy surplus of ******s in my town.

that, and I'm really abrassive, it's true, ask around :mad:

ask damn you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"