The Internet is Bad for You!

Mr Sparkle said:
Distance sucks ass, I have trouble making Long lasting friends because like most of the world I have a heavy surplus of ******s in my town.

that, and I'm really abrassive, it's true, ask around :mad:

ask damn you!
I noticed :(

Whirlysplat said:
Heavy Net users are loners, study suggests
Aug. 2, 2006. 05:49 PM
CANADIAN PRESS

Canadians who spend more time online are more likely to neglect family and real-life friends, says a new Statistics Canada survey, but experts say the numbers paint a bleaker picture than personal experience and other research suggests.

The survey, which examined the Internet habits of 20,000 people across the country, found heavy Internet users — those who spent more than an hour a day surfing the Web for fun — spent at least half an hour per day on the computer rather than interacting with spouses or children.

They also found themselves alone for two extra hours a day and were more likely to shirk household chores, the study concluded.

Jeffrey Boase, a PhD candidate at the University of Toronto who will shortly defend his thesis on email and social networks, said the Internet has saved him from social isolation.

“I spend a lot of time working in solitude, and the Internet is one way to be more social," said Boase, who spends an average of 10 hours a day online.

“If anything, it’s helped me stay more connected."

Boase is not among those Internet users who spend time in chat rooms developing relationships with strangers. The majority of his online contact is with friends or co-workers with whom he would not have a chance to socialize in person, he said.

Frequent e-mail exchanges help him cope with his workload and feel connected to life outside the home in which he does most of his work, he added.

“The assumption is that the Internet is causing these things to happen, but, I mean, it may be the other way around,” Boase said.

“It may be that people who are already prone to spending a lot of time alone may be online. ... It’s possible they may be sending e-mail to people. So even though they’re physically alone, they may not be emotionally alone."

Barry Wellman, a professor of sociology at the University of Toronto, acknowledged that online social networks do occasionally displace family interaction, but said such a trend is to be expected with society’s increasing reliance on technology.

“We’re all becoming heavy Internet users over time,” Wellman said. “We lead somewhat different lifestyles now that include the computer.”

Some experts found the Statscan research supported their own findings and confirmed their negative experiences with respect to what online excess can do to families.

Kimberly Young, founder of the Center for Online Addiction in Pennsylvania, said she has seen many families suffer because of one person’s Internet addiction.

“It’s like the television,” she said. “It’s something of electronic noise competing for our attention, so it’s easy to lose track of one’s loved ones.”

Online affairs are now one of the leading causes of divorce, said Young, who is even more concerned about the children of heavy Internet users, who will often mimic the habits of their parents.

She cited the example of a 15-year-old girl who began meeting older men online as a way of imitating her mother’s online habits.

Boase, the son of a computer programmer, said the influence of a computer-savvy parent was nothing but positive.

“My father knew a lot about computers, and actually by interacting with him, I learned about computers myself,” he said. ``It gave us a common interest. It was something we could talk about later. It was just an activity I did, like playing sports.”

Alan Mirabelli, executive director of the Vanier Institute of the Family, was more concerned about the Internet’s influence in conjunction with tv or other media.

“When you look at it on the surface, you say, ’A half-hour? Well, that’s reasonable.’ But if that same person is watching two to three hours of television a day, you’re putting off conversations that may be essential to members of your family.”

Some people also use the excuse of work to mask their Internet use and help bury pending family problems, Mirabelli added.

Young and others said the Statscan numbers do not suggest a pervasive national problem, since serious Internet addictions only impact five to 10 per cent of the population.

But Young cautioned parents and children alike to maintain a balance between online and offline activities.

“Certainly people can develop new friendships and explore new cultures in a very intensive way, but if you spend all your time online, you won’t develop team-work skills or learn how to interact properly,” she said. ”Anything done to excess can be problematic.”

Thoughts?

- Whirly

Its just like tv then. It has the same effect.

Wilhelm-Scream said:
I'm on the internet when my loved ones are away, at work, asleep, etc.:confused:
I'm here because I have so much love to give, and my TV doesn't love me back.:confused:

Should I try to up my hours of TV and DVD viewing to try and achieve normalcy?:(

You've got a point...BUT

For one thing this goes along with a long running social disparity theory. I'm not sure what it's really called but get this:

In the older days pretty much everyone watched the same programs on the tube, or read about the same news. In a world of growing small towns after World War II, everyone could kinda strike up a conversation along the lines of the limited entertainment options or current events pretty easily.

Even adding more TV channels and the invention of home video viewing has increased a social alienation, as we continue to receive products tailored more and more for the individual, to give you exactly what you want accurately.

With the personal computer and the internet, the lid has been blown off this joint. You only get what you want on it, and you have vastly personal experiences when you use it, thus increasing the alienation.

As this random woman on an interview said, when records first came out there wasn't much of a variety. Now you could spent your life listening to music nobody has heard of. The world has become a vast and confusing network of things to and unlimited options, and as a result we move apart from each other and absorb different things like we are all in training for some job or life that will come maybe after this one.

But there's going to be a huge difference between people who use the internet to "get connected" with friends or relatives, and those who just surf and seek out information all day.

I don't think that it's the internet; I think this has to do with the person.

If you're easily influenced or lack willpower, you ignore secular, educational, and/or family responsibilities. If you're not doing one of those, usually people in general are entertaining themselves. The net happens to be the most popular form of tech-recreation, so it shoulders the weight of the blame, when the problem really starts with the individual.

Again, I don't think it's the internet; it's probably that most people have a hectic schedule and prefer what's convenient.

For Ex: I'm young, single, and I live alone. Do I travel 10-15min to go see a friend or do I (e-mail, IM, or phone) them online?

I want to play vid-games with them; do I travel all the way there or do I play Xbox live w/ them?

We live a in society of convenience and net-communication is just more convenient.

During the week, the most I'll physically do w/ friends is a movie, gym date, or an occasional trip to a local bar. Other than that, if I don't pick up my phone and don't re: to IM or e-mail, I'm probably busy, so I wouldn't want to be bothered.

Anything is bad for you if it causes neglection of other more important things; solely highlighting the internet is a bit biased.

Another ex: A young child still lives at home and spends all day online. Their parents make them stop using the PC on such a frequent basis. Does the lack of this tool promote social growth? Probably not. Chances are, they're probably watching more television, dvds, and playing more video games. The problem wasn't their outlet, it was their mindset; perhaps they need lessons in time-management.

It might be bad for me, but I have no real family to neglect, so it's all good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"