The Klingon Thread

redhawk23

Wrestlin'
Reaction score
This film features scenes set on the Klingon homeworld. We'll finally get to see the Klingon designs cut out of the first film.

Furthermore, the question of whether or not Klingons have ridges in this era is finally settled. According to set reports and advanced screenings they do. Two Klingons are seen without helmets and are reported to have ornamental ridge piercings.

There are a few images of the klingon costumes out. Most are stills and clips from the deleted scense from ST09 but the cover of IDW's Into Darkness countdown comic also features a nuKlingon.

http://moviepilot.com/stories/781553-the-klingons-have-arrived-in-star-trek-into-darkness

Klingon presented on the cover of the last issue of the preview comic, due out a few weeks before the films release.
star-trek-klingons.jpg

Personally I think that costume is an improvement over the grey trenchcoats they were going to be wearing in Star Trek 09.

klingon1.jpeg

My vote is for mainly ridged Klingons, with some augment-virus Klingons around in the background just as Easter eggs for the hardcore Trekkies.

Although it would be interesting if they ever explored the racial differences between "real" Klingons and those descended from the augment-virus infected Klingons. Like maybe the latter are considered "mutants," or maybe (as TOS might indicate) the augment Klingons are a minority that temporarily seizes power through a variety of means. Plenty of examples in human history of that.

Seeing the Klingons again is probably one my top reasons for being excited about the new film.

What is that picture from!?

There's a whole sequence in the deleted Scenes of Star Trek 09 of Nero on the Klingon prison planet Rura Penth

Here you go.

[YT]W66bSajPGtQ[/YT]

This scene was going to be right in the middle of the film right after the "3 years later" title card.

I really dig their helmets. :up:

Did anyone else notice that Nero and the Romulans were using Klingon disruptors in ST 2009? It bugged me that they got the design wrong until I found out about the deleted sequence in the film.

Did anyone else notice that Nero and the Romulans were using Klingon disruptors in ST 2009? It bugged me that they got the design wrong until I found out about the deleted sequence in the film.

didn't watch the deleted scenes...but I take it they were using stolen weapons? Which would make sense since they were a mining ship and not geared for war.

Or they could have just bought Klingon weapons, the same way Americans can buy Russian-made assault rifles.

They broke out of a Klingon prison where they were held for 25 years. I think it's pretty safe to say where they got the Klingon weapons.

Also, weird note, originally, when Nero had more scenes throughout the movie he originally did not until after stranding Spock Prime on Trek-Hoth. A 25 year vow of silence. Odd.

I'm assuming that the deleted scenes never actually "happened" though, unless something in the movie alludes to the opposite.

This is why we need a Director's Extended Super Cut of the 2009 film.

This is why we need a Director's Extended Super Cut of the 2009 film.

Ha ha, no way, I have a hard enough time defending all the plot holes in the theatrical version. The Klingon scenes stay cut for a reason!

Ha ha, no way, I have a hard enough time defending all the plot holes in the theatrical version. The Klingon scenes stay cut for a reason!

The scenes were more or less cut for pacing and focus reasons, they actually help explain what the hell Nero and co were doing for 30 years.

The scenes were more or less cut for pacing and focus reasons, they actually help explain what the hell Nero and co were doing for 30 years.

But they also create more things that need explaining; how the Romulans got their ship back after being on a Klingon prison planet for years, as if it was left parked next to Rura Penthe for fun.

I'd find it easier to believe their FTL capability was damaged and it took them a long time to repair it, and that Nero was obsessively waiting for Spock in any event.

Well, it's about time we got the Klingons back. Though I will laugh if they take off their forehead-ridged helmets to reveal the "Yellow Peril" Klingons.

Is there a reason why they're wearing helmets? Is related to their 'ridges disorder'?

Is there a reason why they're wearing helmets? Is related to their 'ridges disorder'?
These movies take place relatively close to TOS, where the Klingons did not have ridges. I think Abrams wants to make their design a mystery, but still acknowledging the fact that the Klingons will get ridges at some point (since the helmets have them).

... so what do the Klingons represent this time around? in TOS, it was more or less the Soviet Union.. now what-- Taliban/Al Qaeda, Iran, North Korea?

... so what do the Klingons represent this time around? in TOS, it was more or less the Soviet Union.. now what-- Taliban/Al Qaeda, Iran, North Korea?

Abrams doesn't seem nearly as concerned with socio-political allegory as Roddenberry was, so it's best not to assume they're a metaphor for anything for now.

I suspect Abrams will lean towards the TNG perception of Klingons, as intergalactic samurai bikers.

Abrams doesn't seem nearly as concerned with socio-political allegory as Roddenberry was, so it's best not to assume they're a metaphor for anything for now.
Good Call.
Whats under the mask?
Good call, and it appears they do have ridges after all.
klingon-star-trek-into-darkness.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"