'Next Generation' Stars Skeptical About Trek Revival

Darkstar

Civilian
Reaction score
By Michelle
August 1, 2006 - 8:19 PM
Though both Marina Sirtis (Troi) and Michael Dorn (Worf) have moved on from Star Trek: The Next Generation - though the two remain good friends, as they do with their castmates - neither one is impressed with Paramount's latest efforts to revive a Trek film franchise declared dead by many after Star Trek Nemesis failed to ignite at the box office.

Asked about Star Trek's future at the studio, Dorn told Chron.com, "From what I hear, they're tired of it." He has heard the rumours that the eleventh Star Trek feature film will be a prequel set before the five-year mission of Captain Kirk's Enterprise, but thinks "that would be a mistake...you don't go backward in Star Trek."

Dorn is enjoying the spotlight this week with the release of Star Trek Fan Collective - Klingon, which collects the Klingon episodes over the five televised Star Trek series chosen by fans for inclusion, with Dorn on the cover. "I'm smart enough to never say never in this business," he said. "When Next Gen was over I said I'd never put that makeup on again, and then I got a call the next year for Deep Space Nine."

However, with creator Gene Roddenberry gone, "the brakes were off...I don't think he'd have done any of those shows [after Next Generation]." Recently he has used the directing skills he developed on The Next Generation to helm other television shows, played music and done primarily voice acting for animated shows.

Meanwhile Sirtis chatted at her official site forum, saying that she didn't have much time because she was off to Bulgaria to shoot a film, Trade Routes, in which she will play a CIA agent, then to Greece for a family event. Asked about the rumoured plans for a Star Trek prequel, she replied, "Gene Roddenberry always said that Star Trek should go forward...I just don't think anyone at Paramount gets Star Trek anymore."

Sirtis joked that the studio was only interested in reaching a new "lost" audience, punning on producer J.J. Abrams' series Lost. As for her role in another popular science fiction franchise, she added, "I would reprise my role in Stargate in a nanosecond but they've not asked me...maybe you should all write them angry letters demanding I should be back on the show."

'Next Generation' Stars Skeptical About Trek Revival

BTW, in case anybody around here hasn't seen it, here's the teaser poster for the new proposed Star Trek movie :

Darkstar said:
Asked about Star Trek's future at the studio, Dorn told Chron.com, "From what I hear, they're tired of it." He has heard the rumours that the eleventh Star Trek feature film will be a prequel set before the five-year mission of Captain Kirk's Enterprise, but thinks "that would be a mistake...you don't go backward in Star Trek."

:up::up: HAHA, I said the same thing in that other thread. Dorn = the man.

I like how he kind of damned the entire Deep Space Nine, Voyager and Enterprise series.:)

Wilhelm-Scream said:
I like how he kind of damned the entire Deep Space Nine, Voyager and Enterprise series.:)

And so he should.

The original series and Next Gen WERE Star Trek.
Interesting characters on the Enterprise EXPLORING strange new worlds.

both shows linked well and will never be forgotten.

Sounds like they're afraid of their legacy being threatened.

I think The Next Gen's legacys is secure, JJ will never be able to achieve the greatness or level of popularity that TNG gave Star Trek in the early-mid 90's....It just can't be done!

SolidSnakeMGS said:
:up::up: HAHA, I said the same thing in that other thread. Dorn = the man.

Yes, I heard Brent Spiner (Data) speak recently and he basically said the same thing as Dorn. He took the high road and wished Paramount well but you could tell he was sceptical. He spoke in a room filled with Trek geeks and the response to the question of a young Kirk and a prequel drew contempt and angry grumbling. If you can't even grab the fan base at this early juncture, what's the point?

Wilhelm-Scream said:

:up::up::up::up:

though T'pol's mighty fine...:O

Michael Dorn said:
That would be a mistake...you don't go backward in Star Trek.

That pretty much sums up everything I think about this project. ALso, I think it's pretty stupid that Paramount didn't learn their lesson after Enterprise became the shortest lived Star Trek show since the animated series.

I wish I could go back in time and un-cancel TOS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"