The NCIS Thread - Part 2

I think they were in the process of that if they have not already filmed it. This was a big surprise out of nowhere. I figured it was just part of the story, not part of reality.

This weeks episode of NCIS was one of the best in ages, bit of a Die Hard riff.

I don't know how many people still watch NCIS or care but apparently
Ziva faked her death and is still very much alive. DiNozzo may or may not be aware of this seeing as he wasn't able to get contacted, Senior told them he was on his way back to Paris, though not from where.

So that opens up a lot of questions on just what the bad place they are up to. Does it mean a "special guest star" visit is in the future? Why else would they tease that if there wasn't already a plan to go forward with it?

Ziva faked her death and is still very much alive. DiNozzo may or may not be aware of this seeing as he wasn't able to get contacted, Senior told them he was on his way back to Paris, though not from where.

So that opens up a lot of questions on just what the bad place they are up to. Does it mean a "special guest star" visit is in the future? Why else would they tease that if there wasn't already a plan to go forward with it?

I was really happy how they handled this.
The promo and all seemed like a cheap bait tactic, but they actually did a good job.
Fans in general never were on board with how they handled zivas "death" and were really upset.
It would be nice to get a nice closure to Tony and Zivas story, seeing them one more time together with their child and all...they opened the door for the possibility.

It has a technical term : "jump the shark"

Arguably they have jumped several sharks over the past 16(!) years.

It's really just them leaving open the possibility for her to come back. She's supposedly still on good terms with Mark Harmon so it does sound like she'd be welcomed back in a guest spot if she ever chose to do so.

It was a very good episode and I don't think they left that huge tease at the end without a plan to pay it off, it would just be opening a can of worms with fans who were just settling down over how her "death" was handled.

My guess is:
Cote de Pablo and Michael Weatherly will return for a 2 parter to finish the season and give Tony and Ziva the send-off fans wanted.

So they're bringing back Harm as the XO/captain of an aircraft carrier. They'll sort of have to explain why he's still at the same rank he was when JAG ended 10+ years ago.

JAG's David James Elliott Is Bringing 'Harm' to NCIS: Los Angeles
I guess being on many a SecNav's radar and jumping back and forth between JAG and aviation Captain Rabb (USNA class of 1985) would be able to get a waiver about being forced into retirement after 30 years if he did not get selected for Rear Admiral.

I guess being on many a SecNav's radar and jumping back and forth between JAG and aviation Captain Rabb (USNA class of 1985) would be able to get a waiver about being forced into retirement after 30 years if he did not get selected for Rear Admiral.
may be commodore at very least. but it's weird that budd who was harm's junor made the rank of Rear Admiral well I know budd showed up. I'll re look up his rank. I just hope he's still with Catherine bell's character.

may be commodore at very least. but it's weird that budd who was harm's junor made the rank of Rear Admiral well I know budd showed up. I'll re look up his rank. I just hope he's still with Catherine bell's character.
Making flag rank is political as much as competence in military or naval arts. Being a Colonel or Navy Captain is like being a fighting brown belt martial artist instead of the teaching black belt rank.

Unless something has changed the US Navy doesn't really have Commodores, except as a convoy commander title. Just lower half 2 star Rear Admirals. Some say it is so they always out ranked the USMC Commandant which was a "mere" 1 star Brigadier General until WWII.

Making flag rank is political as much as competence in military or naval arts. Being a Colonel or Navy Captain is like being a fighting brown belt martial artist instead of the teaching black belt rank.

Unless something has changed the US Navy doesn't really have Commodores, except as a convoy commander title. Just lower half 2 star Rear Admirals. Some say it is so they always out ranked the USMC Commandant which was a "mere" 1 star Brigadier General until WWII.
well from what I under stand the commodores are still being used in places like budds training camp. as the heads of schools for Navy seals. I've seen as much in their training video's and looks into the schools & interviews too.
I've seen them more in use then that of commandant's which I've see only used in police acadamies these days and since the 80's til to day. as for tv it's just deep space 9 and I have't seen it since. un less it's a civilian police related deal these days.

Now as far as these shows go of the show NCIS that was this past weekend's with NCIS L.A. where the was female commodore who was the head of something similar to what known as "think tanks" are used used think up idea's for planning of terrorist attack's and having alternative plan's for emergency . she called it a brain trust cause miltarty has their own words for thing campare to civilan agencys.(<< or other's like Cia)

that Commodore turned out to be traitor selling out to Russian agents and this was just after Kensey and Deek's returned from their honey moon and it was about nell's sister(who works for NSA) and some one they went to school with the latter of which was in the navy and is geek.

it seem's they 're (<<Commodores) still in use in other ways despite what's written in the books we look up. I always had a feeling there's something between captain or fleet captain & commodore or should be. but the say other wise.

I know there's Such a thing as a Adjutant in other part's of the military and if that head of the base is fit to command that Adjutant takes over. not sure if that what's supposed that for the navy.

They should probably just have commodore equal colonel. some else for major if there isn't one & they can still have their fleet captain which our just captain of ship flag or not .

but I may be thinking about this too much.

it's possible harm just refuse the promotion or got himself demoted like startrek's orginal kirk some how .

Last edited:
Bud was still a captain when he showed up on NCIS recently, and according to Google, he was Commanding Officer, Regional Legal Service Office Mid-Atlantic at Naval Station Norfolk so had moved up from his days at JAG.

Last edited:
The Adjutant is the S-1 or personnel officer of an unit. On the base his office tends to be the gate keeper to see the commander or XO. In the field he tends to be with the support unit and S-4 logistics officer

Bud was still a captain when he showed up on NCIS recently, and according to Google, he was Commanding Officer, Regional Legal Service Office Mid-Atlantic at Naval Station Norfolk so had moved up from his days at JAG.
thanks I found the same thing ether way harm should have passed that by now. not big deal though. it's interesting their former admiral boss when the show was on had being showing up in the L.a. office of special project cause he knows operation's manger Hetty Lang.

The Adjutant is the S-1 or personnel officer of an unit. On the base his office tends to be the gate keeper to see the commander or XO. In the field he tends to be with the support unit and S-4 logistics officer
well from what I've been seeing it was being used as the base commander's or commodores personal aide and they have these Adjutant's being able to call of some as a air strikes that this corrupt commander of the base who was caught in a criminal act and lost command due to that cause he was caught on tape but I guess this was special circumstance and it was on another planet too.

any way I have seen adjutant in any thing of the north america's in a very long time. so it's still an over sea's thing these day's. and their only link to base commanders when they appear it seems . as I said I was thinking too much on that any way. it ano be as important as I'm making it out to be.

though I think it would make sense for a commodore to be on the same level as a colonel. I just don't know if there's equivalent for major with the navy. so I drop it the people thatmade ths system don't care & it was made long befor I was born and they didn't add or change thing to now. no point in me worrying about it.

A Commodore, like a Captain is both a rank and a position. As a rank Commodore is the equivalent of other nation's Brigadiers, almost a Brigadier General in US forces. To confuse things US brigades are normally commanded by Colonels, not Brigadier Generals. Because the US Navy promotes to Rear Admiral lower half, "commodore" tends to be used for squadron leaders, most of the senior captain (ship commander not rank) of a squadron or slice of a task group.

Commandant, like Chief of Staff is a title in US usage and not a rank. So you have the commandant of the USMC or of service schools.

So for the USN/Coast Guard compared to the Army, Air Force and USMC officers you have:
Rear Admiral (lower half) 2 stars just above equal to a Brigadier General 1 star.
Captain (eagle) = Colonel
Commander (silver oak leaves)= Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Commander (gold oak leaves) = Major
Lieutenant (2 silver bars)= Captains
Lieutenant Junior Grade (1 silver bar)= 1st Lieutenant
Ensign (gold, or "butter" bar)= 2nd Lieutenant

Mil science fiction writers used to have a thing about only one captain being on a ship. And went on to explain that their Marine Captains were called Major while on a ship. Well today on a USN aircraft carrier many carry a USN Captain rank. Normally the commanding officer, executive officer, chief engineer, commander of the air wing (CAG) and maybe the chief of staff for the task force commanding Admiral. In the promo blurb Harmon Rabb is being slotted as either the ship's commander or XO.

The unit adjutant S-1 and a flag rank (General or Admiral) officer's aide de camp are also different roles now even if they come from the same root words. The aide de camp might be the one talking for the commander on the radio.

It is normally the operations officer or S-3 that would take over and issue orders if something happened to the CO and XO followed by the senior sub unit commander. So if a brigade command staff/TOC is taken out it would normally a battalion commander and his HQ/TOC taking over. and commanding the brigade. The adjutant and S-4 would advise but under normal conditions would not have a view of the tactical battle going on as they were prepping replenishment and maintenance operations.

^^^ Thanks. the show I watch was from japna o& on another planet and the commanders was working with drug syndicate which he started coo and he only the former cop and mad him his adjutant cause had some that shut down his genetically mod soldier ability. so that former cop was the only on there that call of the air strike cause it was on paper as that cop's partner mentioned & it was in paper. any way as I said with wasn't as big as I thought .

this was special circumstance for that show and they didn't care for any other military personal be side the corrupt commander.

Last edited:
Tonight's episode of NCIS: LA sure felt like they were setting up the potential of multiple characters leaving, likely due to contracts for many of the actors being up at the end of the season. I'd say this season has felt a bit disjointed due to having no real leadership for the team, with Linda Hunt injured and Moseley leaving after cleaning up her mess from Mexico. If Hunt doesn't plan on coming back full-time next season, they need to find some sort of replacement.

Tonight's episode of NCIS: LA sure felt like they were setting up the potential of multiple characters leaving, likely due to contracts for many of the actors being up at the end of the season. I'd say this season has felt a bit disjointed due to having no real leadership for the team, with Linda Hunt injured and Moseley leaving after cleaning up her mess from Mexico. If Hunt doesn't plan on coming back full-time next season, they need to find some sort of replacement.
they've been doing ok with out any of the directors staying or with out a op manger so far. but yeah it's been weird for them but looking at new orleen's which only had a field supervisor special agent for which was pride and he was only made Sac for the area which similar to the lowest of chief's for investigative agency....

they both had a weird year of unsteady change and pride seem to still not want to leave field even though his role a should be like hetty's with more responsibility. nah, he's just weirdly stubborn like Gibb's. Gibb's should be a field unit chief by now. at least that would allow him to still be in the field.

in actuality a section chief.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"