The next big step in gaming evolution

When I say traditional gaming, I generalizing it into controller, button based gaming without motion and what have you. Motion and VR I'm generalizing as the new breed of upcoming gaming

I don't see them using Motion/VR for anything beyond casual gaming, not in any near future. The markets are different, the developer mentalities are different, the publisher mentalities are different. No one's going to make a Final Fantasy-level game for the Wiimote. The input doesn't hold up under hours of gameplay.

Maybe there's some evolution in gaming that will push these game makers who love the genres, franchises and paying playerbase that require controllers and buttons to drop all of that and go for these inputs that don't stand up to long periods of use... but right now, the 'wall' there is the human body, and I don't see that one moving.

Maybe I'm wrong though, and controller gaming is doomed, but I don't see it going anywhere this decade, or the next. Casual or motion/vr gaming may skyrocket, it may make the controller *seem* niche, but it won't affect its sales or catalog much, perhaps even not negatively.

I don't see them using Motion/VR for anything beyond casual gaming, not in any near future. The markets are different, the developer mentalities are different, the publisher mentalities are different. No one's going to make a Final Fantasy-level game for the Wiimote. The input doesn't hold up under hours of gameplay.

Again, you're misquoting me. I never said the near future. In fact, I specifically said otherwise earlier

Maybe there's some evolution in gaming that will push these game makers who love the genres, franchises and paying playerbase that require controllers and buttons to drop all of that and go for these inputs that don't stand up to long periods of use... but right now, the 'wall' there is the human body, and I don't see that one moving.

See above

Maybe I'm wrong though, and controller gaming is doomed, but I don't see it going anywhere this decade, or the next. Casual or motion/vr gaming may skyrocket, it may make the controller *seem* niche, but it won't affect its sales or catalog much, perhaps even not negatively.

Ok, once again, I never said that controller based gaming is "doomed". I never said it would completely "disappear" I just said it would eventually be minimized if the motion stuff that MS is supposedly planning to unveil takes off, which would lead to pure motion based games and eventually into VR type situations.

I already went over that before with others in this thread and others, and I honestly don't want to again. So, you win or whatever

Sorry, didn't mean to misquote you, I guess I just have trouble understanding concern about something so far in the future... or maybe you're not concerned, and I'm just reading that in. Me personally, I really am not sure what I'm going to like and be into 20 years from now. I'll still enjoy video games, sure, but will my perspective on them be the same in 2029 as it is in 2009? I can't imagine it being so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"