Ouya: The Newest Gaming System

socool

True
Reaction score
EDIT: The Kickstarter for the project raised it's 950,000 dollar goal in only 8 hours. Wow.

A new startup is looking to battle Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo in the living room with a brand-new console with an inexpensive price point.

Ouya, built on a custom-based Android operating system targeted to launch early next year, is open to any developer looking to publish a game. The developers also set pricing; the one catch is that every game must have a free portion available, whether through a demo or free-to-play model. The console also supports other Android apps, such as TwitchTV, which comes included.

Though some private funding has been secured already, the company has set up a Kickstarter page asking for an additional $950,000. You can visit Ouya's page right here.

So far, no games have been confirmed, but a number of notable developers are already praising the device, such as Mojang, the developer behind Minecraft, Brian Fargo of inXile Entertainment, and Jenova Chen of thatgamecompany.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/07/10/ouya.aspx

Ouya-Android-Game-Console.jpg

150-DPI---Main-Kickstarter.jpg

150-DPI---Home-screen.jpg

Console

● Tegra 3 -- Quad-core processor

● 1 GB LPDDR2 RAM

● 8 GB on-board flash

● HDMI connection to the TV at 1080p HD

● WiFi 802.11bgn

● Bluetooth LE 4.0

● Enclosure opens with standard screws

Controller

● Wireless controller with 2.4Ghz RF

● Standard game controls (two analog sticks, d-pad, eight action buttons, a system button)

● Touchpad, for porting mobile games more easily

● 2x AA batteries

● Enclosure opens with standard screws

OS and software

● Android 4.0

● Custom TV UI

●Integrated custom game store -- find and download games (and other apps)

● Includes SDK for game development

● Ability to root device without voiding warranty

Yeah, it sounds friggin' awesome. A cheap console where innovation could thrive? Want.

This does sound vaguely awesome, but I don't know if I can see it taking off.

This does sound vaguely awesome, but I don't know if I can see it taking off.

This.

It sounds really cool and it seems like it has the potential to be something special, but we're only seeing the pie in the sky version of it right now. Anytime a new hardware...thing is announced it either A: doesn't live up to its promise, or B: never even materializes.

I sincerely hope OUYA ends up being a great success because this is exactly the sort of thing that I've been wanting for a long while. However, I'm also fairly skeptical about it currently.

When it gets the Uncharteds and Metal Gear Solids, ill take a look.

That is another issue, if this basically ends up being phone games on your TV then I'll have zero interest in it. Which isn't to say I want it flooded with AAA games necessarily, but I'm hoping it attracts games of much more substance than Angry Birds and the like.

Stuff like Braid, Limbo, Bastion, Spelunky, etc. I'm hoping it becomes a dedicated console that sort of upper crust of the indie games scene.

Last edited:
Not much else to say. You guys have the same thoughts on it as I do. It's crazy to see it at 1.5mil. with 29 days left to go though. If it gets high enough, it might start to draw the attention of some legit devs.

Are those good specs? 1 gig of ram doesn't sound like a lot.

compared to Gameing pc's these days it's not. console's ( if we're talking next gen) that has yet to be challenged. There might be added slots for ram to be added later,who knows?

A new&fresh player in the console war!?Nice!

With it having Android..I'm guess it'll have all Android apps&features except for obviously the phone!?

A new&fresh player in the console war!?Nice!

With it having Android..I'm guess it'll have all Android apps&features except for obviously the phone!?

:funny: You think it might have GPS?

"You are at...home. You're current destination is...home. Remain still for .0 meters."

Haha. :pal:

They raised the $99 option from 10k backers to 20k. This thing is going to bring in a bunch of money.

:funny: You think it might have GPS?

"You are at...home. You're current destination is...home. Remain still for .0 meters."

I didn't say I think ALL features would be in,The Digital Comics app would be nice to have shown on my TV screen!!

Haha what a waste of money. It's a nice idea but its going nowhere.

i dont understand how much is this gonna cost...if its a mix between phone games and nicely made console games such as uncharted etc. with free to play missions or trials..... id be very interested in this...

It's at 2.7mil now. Wow. The raised the 20k for the $99 option to 80k.

The biggest problem I see with this is: how many people within the conceivable target market for this don't have a PC that can play indie games via Steam? If the Ouya doesn't provide a compelling advantage over just downloading Steam, I don't see it spreading. Because realistically, that's its competition, not portables.

Wow, over three million now with 28 days to go.

Wow, over three million now with 28 days to go.

I'm starting to lean toward getting one now, just for the emulators and media capabilities. Hope we get some comments from the bigger devs to see how they feel about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"