The Night Manager

Aging Fangirl

slow slog to 1000 posts
Reaction score
Last edited:
http://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/3...nager-starring-hugh-laurie-and-tom-hiddleston

AMC Secures The Night Manager, Starring Hugh Laurie and Tom Hiddleston

BBC One, The Ink Factory and AMC today announced a co-production partnership for the television adaptation of John le Carré’s novel “The Night Manager.” Hugh Laurie (“House”) and Tom Hiddleston (The Avengers, War Horse, Midnight in Paris) will star in the mini-series, which is set to begin filming in spring 2015. Susanne Bier, who won an Academy Award for In a Better World, will direct.

A contemporary interpretation of le Carré’s espionage drama – and the first television adaptation of a le Carré novel in more than 20 years – “The Night Manager” mini-series will bring together love, loss and revenge in a complex story of modern criminality. The eagerly anticipated series follows former British soldier Jonathan Pine (Hiddleston) as he navigates the shadowy recesses of Whitehall and Washington where an unholy alliance operates between the intelligence community and the secret arms trade. To infiltrate the inner circle of lethal arms dealer Richard Onslow Roper (Laurie), Pine must himself become a criminal.

“‘The Night Manager’ is truly the whole package. It’s a terrific piece of source material, great producers in The Ink Factory, a phenomenal writer in David Farr, an award-winning director in Susanne Bier, and two incredibly talented actors,” said Joel Stillerman, AMC’s executive vice president of programming, production and digital content. “Beyond that, it represents AMC’s continuing commitment to finding creative ways to work with the international community to bring the best television to our network – an initiative we have ramped up very quickly that has already resulted in multiple high-quality projects for our air. We’re thrilled to be in business with the BBC and the fantastic ‘Night Manager’ team.”

Ben Stephenson, Controller, BBC Drama Commissioning, said: “It’s a fantastic coup to bring le Carré back to our screens after more than 20 years. He is quite simply one of the greatest novelists of our time, and I am sure that with AMC, Tom Hiddleston and Hugh Laurie on board, this will be one of the BBC’s most unique, ambitious and unmissable dramas.”

Simon Cornwell of The Ink Factory said: “Working with AMC to deliver ‘The Night Manager’ to U.S. and Canadian audiences is a huge privilege. AMC has established itself as one of the great innovators in television in the 21st century, and alongside the BBC we believe they are the best possible partners to support this incredible project. In Hugh Laurie and Tom Hiddleston we have the core of an extraordinary cast, in Susanne Bier a great director, and in David Farr, an exceptional writer who is bringing a brilliant contemporary take to one of le Carré’s finest novels. We couldn’t be more excited!”

Hugh Laurie said: “I loved ‘The Night Manager’ when it was published, and for more than 20 years have yearned to see it realized on screen; I am now thrilled and honored to have the frontest of front row seats. All the moving parts are finely machined – we just have to not mess it up.”

Tom Hiddleston said: “I could not be more excited to join BBC One, The Ink Factory and AMC for ‘The Night Manager.’ Jonathan Pine is a thrilling prospect. Described by John le Carré as a ‘sometime army wolfchild with a special unit’ in the British forces, ‘caterer, chef, itinerant hotelier, perpetual escapee from emotional entanglements, collector of other people’s languages, self-exiled creature of the night and sailor without a destination,’ Jonathan Pine is the most mysterious and complex kind of British hero. It’s an honor and a privilege to work with such truly impeccable collaborators as Hugh Laurie and Susanne Bier in bringing this to the screen. David Farr’s screenplay, adapted from le Carré’s brilliant novel, is absolutely outstanding. I’m beyond thrilled and I can’t wait.”

Susanne Bier said: “John le Carre’s ‘The Night Manager’ is a relentlessly exhilarating thriller with profound emotional depths. Its narrative is carried by two secretive, alluring protagonists, Roper and Pine. David Farr’s elegant script perfectly orchestrates the central cat-and-mouse game between these two irresistibly flawed characters. That Hugh Laurie and Tom Hiddleston will be playing Roper and Pine, respectively, is so thrilling to me. Their shared soulfulness, precision and sharp humor will seduce us all, both through Roper’s charming yet insidious manipulations and Pine’s unsettlingly enigmatic struggle to do the right thing. It is a great honor to be directing ‘The Night Manager’ and to be part of the collaboration between AMC, BBC1, The Ink Factory and Stephen Garrett. I could not be more excited.”

Published in 1993, “The Night Manager” is one of le Carré’s most beloved and critically acclaimed books. A fusion of spy story and tale of organized crime, the novel was a best-seller in the United States and the UK, translated into over 20 languages and selling over a million copies in North America alone.

“The Night Manager” will be produced by The Ink Factory (“A Most Wanted Man”) for broadcast on BBC One and AMC in 2016. Executive producers are Stephen Cornwell and Simon Cornwell for The Ink Factory, Stephen Garrett, David Farr, and Polly Hill for the BBC. The series was commissioned for BBC One by Charlotte Moore and Ben Stephenson, and Joel Stillerman, Marci Wiseman and Kristin Jones for AMC. “The Night Manager” is adapted by David Farr (Hanna, “Spooks”) from John le Carré’s original novel. Rob Bullock (“The Suspicions of Mr Whicher,” “Chasing Shadows”) will produce for The Ink Factory.

Tom Hiddleston and Hugh Laurie scale the Matterhorn for The Night Manager
Rob Bullock @rob_bullock

#TheNightManager pic.twitter.com/frharSRl35

CAqFLjtWwAEwaYq.jpg:large
Hugh Laurie @hughlaurie

We begin our ascent of John Le Carre's The Night Manager at first light. pic.twitter.com/HJEzvR19WC

CAaMA2TWoAAcY69.jpg:large

Hugh Laurie will likely be making the rounds of the talk show circuit this week for Tomorrowland. Hopefully he'll have a few tidbits to share about this project as well.

A short quote from Mr. Laurie:

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/entertainment/which-part-in-the-night-manager-did-hugh-laurie-think-he-would-be-playing-678509.html#.VWEhK4Da_Zs.facebook

Hugh Laurie has confessed he always saw himself playing the dashing young hero in The Night Manager.

The Tomorrowland star will appear opposite Tom Hiddleston, Olivia Colman and David Harewood in the BBC six-part mini series adapted from the John le Carre spy novel of the same name.

Hugh revealed: “It’s something I wanted to be involved in ever since it came out. And when I first read it I imagined myself as the young stud. But of course now I’m the villain and the wonderful Tom Hiddleston is the young stud.”

The series is currently in production and is due to air next year.

Hugh said: “It’s great. It’s a wonderful experience, we’re having a good time, we’re about half-way through (filming) now.”

The series is being directed by Oscar-winning Danish filmmaker Susanne Bier and also counts Tom Hollander, Katherine Kelly and Neil Morrissey among the cast.

Thanks for the updates AF. :) I hope we get to see some footage soon.

Thanks for the updates AF. :) I hope we get to see some footage soon.

You're welcome!

They're supposed to wrap in July, which puts them at just about half way thru. They recently finished filming in Marrakech. No footage, but someone (cast? crew?) did post a few behind the scenes pics of herself with Tom and Hugh:

https://instagram.com/hajarbelkasmi/

The settings for this are spectacular. Can't wait!

You're welcome!

They're supposed to wrap in July, which puts them at just about half way thru. They recently finished filming in Marrakech. No footage, but someone (cast? crew?) did post a few behind the scenes pics of herself with Tom and Hugh:

https://instagram.com/hajarbelkasmi/

The settings for this are spectacular. Can't wait!

From the snowy mountains to a sun drenched sandy based location, the actors certainly got around on this. :D

Interesting that they cast one of the few actresses taller than both Hugh Laurie and Tom Hiddleston as the female lead (she's 6' 2 3/4"). They'll both have to look up to their love interest for a change.

Sounds good, I can't believe I missed hearing about this.

And here's a gentle bump - compliments of BBC One's trailer for their upcoming fall/winter season. In it you'll find quite a few scenes from The Night Manager. Those familiar with the book can probably pick out those clips from the rest (it helps that most of them are labeled :yay:). Otherwise just look out for Tom Hiddleston and Hugh Laurie. Oh, and the trailer ends with a few snippets of scenes between Hiddleston's Jonathan Pine and Elizabeth Debicki's Jed Marshall. Looks like Jed might have been toughened up a bit from the book, which is good.

[YT]watch?v=WQuO0r5kfTM[/YT]

If that doesn't work, here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQuO0r5kfTM

Love those BBC trailers. I didn't realize Elizabeth Debicki was in this. Love her. :atp:

And here's a gentle bump - compliments of BBC One's trailer for their upcoming fall/winter season. In it you'll find quite a few scenes from The Night Manager. Those familiar with the book can probably pick out those clips from the rest (it helps that most of them are labeled :yay:). Otherwise just look out for Tom Hiddleston and Hugh Laurie. Oh, and the trailer ends with a few snippets of scenes between Hiddleston's Jonathan Pine and Elizabeth Debicki's Jed Marshall. Looks like Jed might have been toughened up a bit from the book, which is good.

[YT]watch?v=WQuO0r5kfTM[/YT]

If that doesn't work, here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQuO0r5kfTM

Thanks, don't think I've seen Hiddleston with scruff before. :D

Thanks, don't think I've seen Hiddleston with scruff before. :D

Not bad, right? :cwink: There will probably be plenty more of the scruff when he starts filming his next movie, Kong: Skull Island. He's the Indiana Jones-ish lead.

I'm surprised they started so early with Night Manager promo stuff. I had it in my mind that it wouldn't show before next spring, but apparently it's going to air a bit earlier. At least in the UK.

Not bad, right? :cwink: There will probably be plenty more of the scruff when he starts filming his next movie, Kong: Skull Island. He's the Indiana Jones-ish lead.

I'm surprised they started so early with Night Manager promo stuff. I had it in my mind that it wouldn't show before next spring, but apparently it's going to air a bit earlier. At least in the UK.

Heh! :D Well dudes aren't my thing but he pulls the look off, I agree.

I wonder if maybe it will air as a Christmas event show in the UK.

The long wait is almost over! According to Radio Times The Night Manager is set for February release. (Definitely in the UK, possibly in the US as well.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"