The Obama Thread (Merged x6)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like money....and I put my job in front of a lot of things because it's something I'm really good at....I don't want to end up like my parents who had us living paycheck to paycheck...

He's a both a brilliant computer scientist and a brilliant businessman. That's part of the game, he found ideas from different sources (which WE ALL do.....we all products of inspiration) put the resources together, put the code together, made the telephone calls, knocked on the right doors repeatedly, after failure after failure, put forward the presentation, provided a service for IBM and Apple, and got a legal patent on it, and made a convincing case to several other computer hardware companies. The American dream as far as I'm concerned. He worked his ass off.

Whatever, so this is a mute point. Business is all about taking opportunity and running with it given the limited constraints, not worrying about the what-ifs.

Think clearly about you're arguing. Yes, Bill Gates borrowed pieces of programming concepts from other sources....guess who also does that? You think writers produce their art without inspiration from others? Artists? Actors? Philosophers. Plato borrowed from Aristotle. Thomas Jefferson borrows from Paine. Creator of of Darkman borrows from Creator of Batman. Creator of Batman borrows from the creator of Zorro. LBJ borrows policies from FDR. Clinton borrows strategies from Reagan. They borrow some ideas here...some concepts over there and put it in a new package. Half-life borrows from Quake which borrows from Doom which borrows from Wolfestein 3D. Everyone. When one person thinks up an idea, they're processing concepts used from other entities. They decide to use the ideas based on whether they have value. Bill Gates is no different, he learns different programming languages (he knew how to program, don't deny that) from different mentors. and produced it in a format that was user friendly and marketable to companies and consumers.

All these businessmen, movers and shakers do the same thing. No one thinks up an idea in a complete vacuum....they are always following in a line of other great thinkers, entreprenuers, and innovators.....they're developing on what others have done in the past. You're only hating on Bill Gates because he's a rich target. Being successful is not about sitting around and thinking. Its about doing. And Bill Gates DID! That why he's friggin rich.

He worked and put the right pieces together. IF you want to give negative connotations to that, be my guest.

Who cares about proportions? The billions he's pumping into charity and our government are far more valuable than, no offense, how much dollars you put in. So what if its "proportional".......which would your prefer...a million dollars from a multibillionaire....or one dollar by someone who owns 2 dollars. Your "proportionality" argument reaks of the same flawed "fairness" doctrine that Barack Obama uses to exploit class warfare and envy.

Yeah, giving up reins to a multibillion dollar company to create one of the greatest charitable funds this world has seen....putting minorities through college....pfffffftt Bill Gates. Let's hate on him. :whatever:

I've never actually heard Bill Gates scream about how great he is....maybe how great Windows 95 and Vista is...but not how great HE is........he seems pretty personally humble given his wealth....in comparison to most wealthy people and celebrities.

That's true....money isn't everything. Those values you mentioned are valuable and important in our society. That doesn't mean the most efficient thing to do is unconditionally raise taxes on rich and just hand it out to the poor...and let the government do the distributing.

hahaha, no no no....

he took the work of others, the brilliant work of others, and made money off it. He was very smart in seeing a market that could be exploited and buying out the products of others while only loaning those applications out. He created a monopoly because he saw ahead of the curve. I'll give you that, but don't make it sound like he created anything, he didn't. He didn't work his ass off, he used people to get ahead. That's fine and legal, but it isn't parade worthy and he made nothing off his own work whatsoever.

Yes buisness is about opportunity taking and giving nothing back. I agree completely. But don't you think that's a bit ****ed up? I mean every major problem we've had in recent times from the envirnment, to oil, to wars, poverty, the aids epidemic has been fueled and almost entirely created by this corporate greed which is stupid. It's like fannie mae which ****ed over everyone in this country because it put it's interests above that of everyone else and now the gov. (meaning tax money from me and you) has to pay to bail them out. Do you see the inherit problem here?

"Think clearly about you're arguing." --- think clearly about what you're typing so I can understand.

I'm not saying it's wrong to do what he did, but to foster the myth that he's a self made man or some type of creator is just false. He created a monopoly and right now both you, I and anyone reading this are bill gate's *****es. Yes he knew how to program, but I'm a ****** with computers and even I know some code. It's not some big deal. Cause I know how to use an ax doesn't make me a lumberjack.

He's at the level of richness he is now cause he's fostered a monopoly and used lobbists to stay that way.

Ok, I'll give negative connotations to that. He's put many out of buisness and forced a market to his whims. That's illegal but with the money he has bill gates could shoot you in the ****ing face on national tv and get away with it. And I don't think I'm exaggerating on that. He's made sure his company gets everything while blocking innovations and the competative spirit of different ideas and small companies that 1)he used to profit off of and become who he is and 2) would have the effect of keeping the market progressing along a free track. Basically he used capitalism to get where he is, then dynamited the door and turned the system into a monopoly he has sole control over.

His charities wouldn't nearly equal the money the would be generated from taxes if he ran his company in any way that approaches near ethical standards. Do you say thank you for a man that steals 100 from you then donates 10 to your relief fund the next day? Apparently you do.

He has his own foundation to scream how great he is. I told you, rich people don't do anything for themselves.

I didn't every say raise the taxes on the rich and hand it out to the poor. I don't believe in rebate checks or any of that crap. I do think after a certian point you're more than able to give a greater portion than others and I think that's part of being a citizen which too many of you US citizens forget because you were born here. You feel entitled to everything while you scream to high heaven when you have to give back. You live in a country where if you lose everything the government will help you get back on your feet, give you money, help you find a job and place to stay. People don't have to starve here, that's really a beautiful thing. Now saying that when you reach the other end and you're so wealthy you no longer have to do your own shopping, what's the big deal in giving back more than the typical 9 to 5er? People expect and demand help when they're hurting, but when you're doing well people forget what got them there. Suddenly "they" were the ones earning everything all by themselves. How stupid. Without being here gates would never have had the chance to be who he is. But now that he is that man what does he do to say thanks to society and the US? He builds a monopoly to control the market, he ensures no one else has a chance to become successful. This is just another example of the petulant child that after being raised by his parents forgets just what was given up to put him where he is today. He thinks only of himself, hurts society while pretending to help and then through some magical twist of fate gets people like you to defend him. Poor little rich boy, buying our nation out from under us, pity him and say not a slanderous word for who could be more deserving?

This will conclude any of my statements about gates, poverty or things not barack obama. I apologize for getting so long winded and sidetracked.

I'm not convinced that's a good idea. Powell is the one who lied on national tv about the case for the Iraq war...

(raised eyebrow)
no he didn't.
He was misinformed and went with what he was told.

Sigh - sometimes you guys stay stuck on scary too.

(Do I really want to read forward as I'm sure people are going to paint powell with a big brush for the actions of those around him?)

Yes, we do that well around here.....

Do you think if Powell were endorsingg McCain or was the VP candidate certain pro-Obama posters would be screaming "He lied!" and calling him Collin Bush?

Oh hell yeah.....it goes both ways.

(raised eyebrow)
no he didn't.
He was misinformed and went with what he was told.

Sigh - sometimes you guys stay stuck on scary too.

(Do I really want to read forward as I'm sure people are going to paint powell with a big brush for the actions of those around him?)

I have zero respect for Colin Powell. I liked him before the now infamous UN speech. I will never be convinced that Powell had no knowledge about the situation in Iraq beyond what he read.

Do you think if Powell were endorsingg McCain or was the VP candidate certain pro-Obama posters would be screaming "He lied!" and calling him Collin Bush?

I can't speak for everyone here, but doubtful in my case. I've been saying Colin Powell was the only worthwhile person to emerge from the Bush administration for years now. There was even a point where I kind of wanted to see him throw his name into the Presidential race.

Oprah is more powerful that one person should be allowed to be....

She must be stopped.....REBELLION!!!! Rise up against the big headed tyrant...put down that copy of "East of Eden" she told you to read.....put down the free goodie bag of skin care products and FIGHT...FIGHT...FIGHT...

She must be stopped.....REBELLION!!!! Rise up against the big headed tyrant...put down that copy of "East of Eden" she told you to read.....put down the free goodie bag of skin care products and FIGHT...FIGHT...FIGHT...

Never! You shall be overrun by battalions of Dr. Phil clones!!!! :cmad:

jag

:eek: Infidel! :cmad: I have reported you and your comments to Emperor Oprah! Long live the Empire! :boba:

jag

:funny:

Never! You shall be overrun by battalions of Dr. Phil clones!!!! :cmad:

jag

I shall send out platoons of out of control teenage girls and abused housewives to stop those Dr. Phil clones in their tracks....

hahahahaha.....

I shall send out platoons of out of control teenage girls and abused housewives to stop those Dr. Phil clones in their tracks....

hahahahaha.....

No amount of Jerry Springer is going to save you!

jag

Y'know, I think its time we close this thread down.

wouldn't someone just open up another one? its certainly managements call if it needs to be closed though

Y'know, I think its time we close this thread down.

Close down the Obama thread??? But where would we discuss Barack Obama if the thread for Obama was closed? :huh:

Well, thats kind of what I'm thinking. Obama Thread 2.0. Don't the lounges close after a certain point? We are near 500 pages and well past 10 thousand posts. Yeah, closing.

In before close...

I always wanted to do that...

They are just having a little fun. No need to throw out the baby along with the bath water. :word:

I don't mind that. Obama Thread has become our unoffical lounge anyway. Its just too damn big :cmad:

In before close...

I always wanted to do that...

I expected that from someone...but not you :csad: :cwink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member