The Official Batman (1989) Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man I will never forget when I first saw the Flugelheim bit from that teaser on Entertainment Tonight. My mind was simply blown away.

Yeah that preview was an enormous deal to me and my friends. Thank God, it's not a 60s show homage! Batmania had begun for me and my friends.

I saw it in the theater but the showing was so packed I and a bunch of people had to watch standing up. It was nuts, but I was about 12 and was too enthralled to really care. My family rented it on home video later that year and I finally got to enjoy it sitting down.

I also remember me and my best friend being obsessed with collecting all the trading cards... and being so bummed that we could never find the Batman action figure in stores. They would all just sell out too quickly.

...........you watched the film in a cinema....standing up?

I also remember me and my best friend being obsessed with collecting all the trading cards... and being so bummed that we could never find the Batman action figure in stores. They would all just sell out too quickly.

Same here! My brother and I had to have all the cards. We had to share the toys... I remember dad bought us the ToyBiz Batmobile that shot the yellow missiles from the front. Ahh, 1989... :cwink:

Ah, when it was released I probably saw this movie 20 times. Then at the time they used to rerun the most successful movies in trios. Many times I had to see other movies just to watch B89 more than once.

I didn't have a VCR at the time, but in 1992 I got one so I bought the movie and saw it once and again.

I love this film, this and Returns are constantly in a battle in my mind. I have difficulty choosing which one is my favorite Batman live-action film.

Same. Sometimes I think I prefer Returns and then I go naaah... and vice versa. I love them both for different reasons. I have a few mates who love the first movie and hate Batman Returns... and I love having that argument with them :cwink:

...........you watched the film in a cinema....standing up?

This wasnt uncommon in my area. Seemd back then theatres didnt care too much about runing out of seats. I remember afew movies where there were people sitting in the center on the floor. Batman was like this at my theatre too. Poeple were actually leaning against the walls. It was insane.

I watched the Burton commentary and the movie itself over the weekend. Christ, do I love this movie. Love the swift two hour pacing too.

I love te build up to the reveal of Bruce Wayne and the investigation of both Wayne and Batman. About 30 minutes in Batman is seen as a myth. And I love Gordon's reaction to when he finally sees him. Gives me chills.

It reminds me how I'd like to see a prequel story to Keaton's Batman. Is it better ambiguous or to reveal it? I think it works really well if we don't know about it.

Yeah, its almost half of the charm, not knowing the origins, not seeing much. The whole mystery and staying in the shadow thing

It reminds me how I'd like to see a prequel story to Keaton's Batman. Is it better ambiguous or to reveal it? I think it works really well if we don't know about it.

My idea for this was what Burton did in Edward Scissorhands. Three flashbacks that reveal core parts of Batman's origin peppered throughout the movie. But telling the story backwards.

The first one, revealing Bruce's training (we get it's the way he prepared to be Batman).

The second one, revealing the moment when the bat crossed his window , scaring him (we get where Bruce got the idea for Batman)

The third one, as seen, his parents murder (we get what's his primal motivation).

I picture his training and him wanting to become Batman is the reasoning Burton took with casting Keaton. His size. Perhaps they acknowledge that in some way. Nothing in your face, but it's pretty apparant Bruce has to push himself a lot more than usual, which enhances his characterization. Bruce is all about his drive, and Keaton's Batman had to be no exception into becoming Batman. Like just imagine a shot of him in place of Bale in Ra's' fortress in BB, surrounded by the League. Imagine Keaton's smaller figure among them. It would be a cool image. The idea and the symbol of Batman just comes across as much stronger with Keaton's take. I like Burton's reasoning as to why he has to put on the costume, you could use that as well, but it still maintains the true essence of what makes Bruce what he has always been.

Keaton was an amazing actor in terms of his body language. Very commanding; to make Mr. Mom actually intimidating well that demands respect. I will never doubt Burton back in those days cause he always made it work. He was a genius director back then. Always got great performances out of all his actors. Lately though....

I will say that the only movie I remember people literally sitting in the theatre steps during was Terminator 2 those were the days when Arnold was king. What Will Smith is today but times 100.

Never any of the Batman's. Though I do remember when seeing Batman Begins in an IMAX room there were nothing but the fronts aisle seats left and some people actually sat there. I was just like wtf. Talk about a crick in the neck.

Seeing 89 at the drive in opening night then a week later at a sold out theater for a second time were two of the best experiences of my life at the ripe old age of 5. I still remember it like it was yesterday.

Wow... it definitely made an impression on you, then. I can't remember dick that happened to me at that age. I can barely remember my teens! :funny:

Wow... it definitely made an impression on you, then. I can't remember dick that happened to me at that age. I can barely remember my teens! :funny:
Really? I remember my 3rd birthday. I know what cake I had, all my presents, what I was wearing, etc.

I saw BATMAN when I was 6 and still vividly remember getting that VHS tape that christmas and how I watched it before opening any other presents lol

Hell I remember my first 2 trips to the movies when I was 5 and they were Kickboxer & The Fly II ha ha. It's amazing to me how much I could remember from about age 3 and up actually.

I do remember seeing Batman for the first time.. I was 11. We were in a department store Christmas shopping (we must have been since my Dad was there and he never went shopping with us)... Anyway I saw a huge advert stand of all the VHS tapes stacked up nicely. I begged my parents to get it, and I recall they both looked at one another and then my Mom said "All right... go ahead." We all went home and watched it that night. :woot: Memories.

I wish I could remember my plastic Batman suit from when I was really young. I was the (k)night. :batman:

I saw Batman Returns before I saw Batman 1989. Fortunately it wasn't a pre requisite to see them in any particular order as Returns' story doesn't rely on the first movie's in any significant way.

Definitely Batman Returns. It's my second favorite Batman movie after TDK.

I saw Batman Returns before I saw Batman 1989. Fortunately it wasn't a pre requisite to see them in any particular order as Returns' story doesn't rely on the first movie's in any significant way.

Noooo. It is not the same. Even if there's no need to see the first one in terms of continuity, the effect is not the same.

Definitely Batman Returns. It's my second favorite Batman movie after TDK.

See? :(

Payaso, are you saying I should prefer the first movie more than Returns?

I assure you my reasons for liking Returns more are not nostalgic. I think the story and characters in Returns are genuinely more deep and interesting. That's coming from a die hard Joker fan boy who should probably prefer the first movie more just because of Joker's presence.

But I think DeVito and Pfeiffer ran rings around Nicholson's Joker.

Payaso, are you saying I should prefer the first movie more than Returns?

I assure you my reasons for liking Returns more are not nostalgic. I think the story and characters in Returns are genuinely more deep and interesting. That's coming from a die hard Joker fan boy who should probably prefer the first movie more just because of Joker's presence.

But I think DeVito and Pfeiffer ran rings around Nicholson's Joker.

Not at all. I was just joking.

In fact it could be a good thiung to watch Returns first. I saw B89 when I was 14 and BR at 17, but BR was a bit of a letdown as I was expecting a movie much closer to B89.

But yes, Catwoman and specially Penguin had a great impact on me nevertheless.

I remember seeing Batman Returns and thinking it was a little strange... and had expected a movie much like the first one as well. I didn't dislike Batman Returns, but I don't think I even remotely appreciate it until a few years later (like when Batman & Robin came out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"