First Avenger The Official Captain America: The First Avenger Review Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's definitely the best-looking of any of Marvel's films.

Can't wait to see Rogers story.
I want to compare it to the short list that came out last year.

Jensen Ackles, John Krasinski and Scott Porter specifically, the story sold in the trailer really highlights why Evans was chosen.

Last edited:
Just saw the film at an advance screening, and I really loved it. They did a really awesome job.

Solid 9/10, as good as the first Iron Man, but in many ways its much better.

^^^That's the kind of review that really matters to me. It's not that I discount the critics' opinions, but other fans are usually more in tune with what I want from a film.

^^^That's the kind of review that really matters to me. It's not that I discount the critics' opinions, but other fans are usually more in tune with what I want from a film.

This is my first experience with any Captain America material, so I'm not exactly a fan.

Well.. I am a fan now. Captain America did exactly what Iron Man did for me, completely immersed me in that world and got me totally interested in the source material.

Want to go see it again :)!

About to jump in the car and go see a movie about Captain America.

I love the 21st century...is this great or what?

^^^That's the kind of review that really matters to me.

What, two sentences and positive?

I just got back from the midnight show. I'm not sure how I feel about the film yet. It definitely wasn't bad.

Off the top of my head, I like that it felt more like an older action movie. Probably a lot to do with the fact that Cap doesn't have any 'powers', it was nice to see tried and true 'guns and punching' in a CBM. Hugo Weaving was great, all of the humor landed.

I didn't like that we never are really told what Red Skull's motivations are. What's his plan, besides attacking American cities? Why America first? What's he going to to once he's finished?

I also feel like many of the action scenes weren't big enough. The situations are pretty awesome, the tone is certainly epic, but it seemed like the camera was always mid-to-close range. There wasn't a lot of breathing room.

I'll definitely be seeing it again. But at this point I'm neither disappointed nor blown away.

Last edited:
I thought that was one of the greatest comic book films I've ever seen.

Comparing it with Iron Man is like apples and oranges, but Cap was just as good as Iron Man, if not ******* better!

And also, Cap= Indiana Jones of Marvel Studios. And that was the biggest compliment I could give.

10 out of ******* 10

Just got back from seeing it and thought it was great. It was definatley one of the best Marvel movies and I was really pleased the characterizations. Also the humor in the film definatley felt natural and not forced. It definatley felt like a WWII Cap movie. 8.5/10

Just got back from Cap and I have to say I loved it.
Cons: I thought this movie was short. It may not have been but it seemed like it ended too sooon.
I would have liked for more scenes between Cap and Bucky.
Pros: I cant think of a single actor or actress who didnt pull their weight in this movie. I hope Cap 2 is set during WW2. I'd like to see more of the Howling Commandoes. Cap's last flight had more emotion than the comics origin.

The Awesome: An Invader makes a cameo, A reference to Raiders of the Lost Ark....and the trailer for Avengers which got the biggest crowd reaction of the night

Last edited:
I didn't LOVE it like i did Thor and Ironman BUT this was still a damn good solid superhero movie. There were some hokey, cheesy moments here and there that i could have done without but neverthless very solid. Chris Evans owned the role, and there was great acting all around. Plus lots of shield throwing. And the ending got me PUUUUUUUUUUUUUMPPPED for next summer!!

I was so into the movie...yet I can't remember both the Indy reference and the Invader cameo.

Someone refresh my memory please lol.

I was so into the movie...yet I can't remember both the Indy reference and the Invader cameo.

Someone refresh my memory please lol.

Original Human Torch is in a presentation at the Fair

Red Skull views the Cosmic cube back at his base and says something like: "The Fuerer is digging up the desert looking for artifacts but I have true power"

@Spideyfan

The Invader cameo was in the 1st act during the Stark Expo. He can be seen as the camera scans above the crowd...in his classic costume.

The Raiders reference was when Skull holds the Cosmic Cube for the 1st time and says something about "Hitler digging for trinkets in the desert." (The Ark of the Covenant)

Just got back from the midnight showing.

Chris Evans was awesome as Cap.
Loved having Howard Stark figure in,
Solid flick.
Another Marvel Classic.
The Avengers Trailer- seeing Robert Downey Jr. and Thor together...wow!:awesome:

Indiana Jones in the same universe as Marvel Cinematic Universe= too much :awesome:ness

Wow! so amazing! IMO this might be Marvel Studios finest production to date. Chris Evans owns this role like RDJ owns Tony Stark. But I'm sorry that Hugo Weaving was rather underwhelming as Red Skull that would be my only complaint otherwise

I just got back from the midnight, WOW, they nailed it!:awesome::up: Chris was awesome as Cap,:cap: oh hell everybody was awesome in this thing and after the credits HOLY CRAP!:eek::up: I loved it and will be seeing it again at least 2 more times 9.5/10!:D:up:

Just got back from Cap and I have to say I loved it.
Cons: I thought this movie was short. It may not have been but it seemed like it ended too sooon.
I would have liked for more scenes between Cap and Bucky.
I thought Bucky's death was handled rather poorly. There should have been a lot more suspense to it, IMO. That's one of the biggest complaints I had about the film.

Well just got back, loved it! I give it a solid 8.5/10

The [SOILER]The death of Bucky didn't really bother me much, because of the good chance we will see Winter Soldier eventually :).[/SPOILER]

I did feel the movie was a little rushed in spots, and could have used a few more scenes here and there, The time span in the film was three years but it didn't feel that way. Small scenes here and there would have tightened everything up a bit. Also the ending of the movie was good, but felt a little abrupt I still however liked it.

One scene I would have liked would have been the construction of the new suit and him trying it on, only because the transition in the film was alittle abrupt so some of the effect on the public is lost but that is a minor nitpick. Would have liked at least one more Bucky scene or maybe his
DEATH
to have been moved slightly more towards the end of the film so maybe it would have had a bigger impact. Also a little more of the Howling Commandos wouldn't have hurt. End Nit Picks!

Now! The good stuff!

The acting was very good to great, everyone did a great job particularly Evans, Weaving, Tucci, and Atwell. Sebastian did a great job with what he had to work with, And TLJ is neither as good as some say nor as bad imo, but his dry humor works well. The action was bad-@ss IMO, even though I nitpicked the ending, I still quite liked it, the last line works even if it ends slightly abruptly afterwards. The entire first half of the film was incredible to me, I liked the heavier action stuff later on too, but that is where some more framing scenes imo were mostly needed. Cap was a hell of a fun ride, had that old school sensibility that has been sorely missing from today's movies, hopefully, it plus Super 8 brings that back. Red Skull looked incredible! And he had some of the coolest lines in the book.

despite it's minor flaws loved the movie!

8.5/10

Also

Avengers Teaser in glorious HD was orgasmic!!!!! O_O Hopefully it is released soon!

Last edited:
It was emotional but it could have been handled so much better.

So did Captain America only throw his shield 5 times through out the movie? I remember Joe Johnston saying that he would only throw his shield 5 x.

Secondly, does Cap beat up alot of guys?

Thirdly, how many action pieces are spread out through out the movie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"