Superman: The Movie The Official Christopher Reeve as Superman Appreciation Thread

I'm too young to have grown up with Christopher Reeves' Superman movies (I'm in my 20s), but last summer I watched the 1978 movie and I loved it! Sure it's aged a bit, but I'd argue not as much as some other movies; heck, I'd almost be willing to bet that this movie is more watchable now than Man of Steel will be in three decades. The flying effects were fine, and all the characters and situations were fun, but the best part was Christopher Reeves, that man IS Superman; true blue, colorful suit, and likable personality. My only complaint about the movie is that maybe they could have done a little more with the finale, but I recall it being fine, and this was obviously made before every movie had to end in a huge spectacle. In my opinion Reeves is still the definitive Superman, at least until they reboot and recast.

I'm too young to have grown up with Christopher Reeves' Superman movies (I'm in my 20s), but last summer I watched the 1978 movie and I loved it! Sure it's aged a bit, but I'd argue not as much as some other movies; heck, I'd almost be willing to bet that this movie is more watchable now than Man of Steel will be in three decades. The flying effects were fine, and all the characters and situations were fun, but the best part was Christopher Reeves, that man IS Superman; true blue, colorful suit, and likable personality. My only complaint about the movie is that maybe they could have done a little more with the finale, but I recall it being fine, and this was obviously made before every movie had to end in a huge spectacle. In my opinion Reeves is still the definitive Superman, at least until they reboot and recast.

I grow up with Christopher Reeve as Superman , I recently watched it on the tele. And you can forget just how much he nailed it. He shows more heart and soul in one scene than Mr Cavill does in the entire movie.And I am not hating on him. Hes okay as Superman. But that's it I'm afraid.. I am gobsmacked when people say they prefer Henry Cavill. It's like saying you prefer a shadow to the real thing.

I grow up with Christopher Reeve as Superman , I recently watched it on the tele. And you can forget just how much he nailed it. He shows more heart and soul in one scene than Mr Cavill does in the entire movie.And I am not hating on him. Hes okay as Superman. But that's it I'm afraid.. I am gobsmacked when people say they prefer Henry Cavill. It's like saying you prefer a shadow to the real thing.

I don't know much about Cavill as an actor, but I feel like he would go over better if the filmmakers would let him smile and act more charismatic. I would argue he doesn't look the part, but I don't think that's as important as simply being a charismatic Superman. Reeve can portray Superman/Clark with his body language alone, which is extremely impressive.

I was watching an old episode of Johnny Carson and Reeve was promoting Superman III. He said it would be his last. Of course, there was a fourth one. Carson wondered how Richard Pryor and Superman were in the same movie. They showed a clip of Clark sneezing and smashing the bowling pins.

I was watching an old episode of Johnny Carson and Reeve was promoting Superman III. He said it would be his last. Of course, there was a fourth one. Carson wondered how Richard Pryor and Superman were in the same movie. They showed a clip of Clark sneezing and smashing the bowling pins.

That was a good bit of comedy with the bowling pins. Despite the crap SIII gets (some of it deserved for sure), it does have some of the finest moments of the saga.

I was watching an old Interview with Letterman from 1982 where Reeve promoted the film Deathtrap. He starts out by talking about Superman and is appreciative towards it's success. At the end of the interview he totally rips into Brando and didn't enjoy working with him.

Saw the original Dick Donner Superman for the first time tonight. There was a screening at my local theater. Figured it was as good a time as any. Man, that movie was terrific. The camp, the sincerity, the "gee shucks truth and justice" of it all had me captivated. I see why it's such a beloved film.

Saw the original Dick Donner Superman for the first time tonight. There was a screening at my local theater. Figured it was as good a time as any. Man, that movie was terrific. The camp, the sincerity, the "gee shucks truth and justice" of it all had me captivated. I see why it's such a beloved film.

First time ever seeing it? :eek:

How come you've only just seen it?

Having just bought the Donner Cut of Superman II a few months back, WB putting out this extended cut of the original Superman finally gives me a reason to purchase that as well.

BAA37477-54C4-4C54-B24C-B23AC574654D.jpg

Christopher Reeve Kingdom Come Superman

Last edited:

Williams should’ve been Reeve’s Mxy. 😔

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"