The Official DC Comics THE SPIRIT Thread

Comics N' Toons

Viva La Revolucion!
Reaction score
This thread is dedicated to DC's ongoing Spirit series that was started by DARWYN COOKE (The Spirit originally started by one of the greats, Will Eisner).

Now if you're like me, you love the SPIRIT (one of the original comic book heroes.) If not, well then I guess this thread won't get many posts.

Anyhow, DC's adaptation of the Eisner character has been great! We are now up to 32 issues.

Discuss, the DC series, Eisner's work and the movie (if you want to:hehe:)

Last edited:
I quit reading when Cooke left. He is to hard an act to follow. As the writing got to silly, and poor. The art also went downhill to me.

Can't wait for The Spirit to show up in the First Wave with Doc Savage though. I'll be reading that for sure.

Yeah, the book died after Cooke left.

This title's being canceled isn't it? :up:

In one of the interviews with Dan Didio about First Wave.

I'm pretty sure he said The Spirit was being canceled and relaunched, totally new, totally different, and totally better. Totally.

Welcome to November 2009, lol. :awesome:

have they put anything out yet? Are they starting completely over or are they going to continue with issue 33?

Also, what did you guys think of the film by F. Miller?

Cooke's run on the character was great. After him, the run by Aragones and Evanier was just terrible. Then the last 7 or so issues, when they brought in different creative teams were decent to pure crap.

I'm looking forward to Azzarello's "First Wave". That should be awesome. But the new Spirit series will be set within that universe. As for whether or not Azzarello is writing it is yet to be announced. The "First Wave" title is a 6 issue series and then after that, i believe there will on-goings for most of the characters that appear.

Frank Miller's film was crap.

It was a great movie if you wanted to see The Spirit be humiliated.

Cooke's run on the character was great. After him, the run by Aragones and Evanier was just terrible. Then the last 7 or so issues, when they brought in different creative teams were decent to pure crap.

I don't understand the hate for Sergio's work.

He only did with the Spirit what Eisner had previously done... used the character in different tones, different locales and different situations.

I agree that Cooke's run was better, but IMO the later issues weren't bad.

The movie was pretty upsetting to anyone who had been a long time Spirit fan, though I also don't agree with the SIN CITY comparisons either.

Also, what are your opinions of Eisner's work?

Last edited:
I actually have to agree with you on Aragones and Evanier. I mean, it wasn't nearly as enjoyable as Cooke's run nor was it as complex, of course, but I thought it still held pretty well to The Spirit's original essence and told some fun stories in the process.

Is the Darwyn Cooke series continuing once First Wave starts? That seems confusing, seeing as how the Cooke series is contemporary.

No, they're canceling it.

The Spirit/Batman story Cooke wrote has to be one of my favourite team ups ever.

Eisner's is still the best Spirit, but Darwyn was great!

Denny O'neil did a great Spirit story as part of the Christmas Special.

I just felt the Aragones stuff had terrible dialogue and sub-par artwork. They weren't exciting to me, just really bland. I dropped the title until Michael Uslan did his 3 issue run and then individual creative teams were brought on for each issue till the end, which were decent to good.

Anyone here ever read the "New Adventures of The Spirit" published by Kitchen Sink in the 90's? That had some real good stuff in it. Alan Moore and David Gibbons do the first issue that deals with the Spirit's origin that has a bunch of fun twists and turns in it.

Anyone here ever read the "New Adventures of The Spirit" published by Kitchen Sink in the 90's? That had some real good stuff in it. Alan Moore and David Gibbons do the first issue that deals with the Spirit's origin that has a bunch of fun twists and turns in it.

is it available in TPB or something?

is it available in TPB or something?

It got a hardcover release from Dark Horse a few months ago. I haven't picked it up because like the other Spirit Archive books from DC, it's kinda pricey. I have 2 individual issues from that series though and both are very very good.

Thanks CRIMSON MIST... I bought the "New Adventures of The Spirit."

on a different note, I was wondering what your favorite Spirit stories were?

Thanks CRIMSON MIST... I bought the "New Adventures of The Spirit."

on a different note, I was wondering what everyone's favorite Spirit stories were?

mine are the original origin, anything with Ebony White, and the first Darwyn Cooke issue.

I really dig the Spirit/Batman oneshot.

Other than that I can't remember. My comics are all in storage, can't look back at them.

I for one was really disappointed in the SPIRIT film. You would think Miller, being a fan himself, would have done justice to it.

I think he had a great cast, and if the writing was good IT COULD HAVE BEEN A GREAT FILM.

It had been my idea even before the film came out that Samuel L. Jackson would be a great OCTUPUS (if only they hadn't shown his face) HE COULD HAVE USED HIS VOICE ALONE and hid his face in the shadows.... kind of like Blofeld in the early Bond films.

I thought GABRIEL MACHT was great and a lot of the other actors as well.

The dialogue sucked & the plot wasn't really true!

The Spirit has no powers of healing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"