Days of Future Past The Official Dofp MAGAZINES Thread

For me I think everyone knew x-men and spiderman in the 90's and because of that obviously both those films did well, but then the release of iron man and the creating of marvel studios has made them the bastard step child. Even in the comics recently to some degree.

For me I think everyone knew x-men and spiderman in the 90's and because of that obviously both those films did well, but then the release of iron man and the creating of marvel studios has made them the bastard step child. Even in the comics recently to some degree.

Oh definitely, since the mid 2000's the X-men have become less known. But prior to that not at all.

Last edited:
I think Bryan is saying that lately because the XMen franchise hasnt reached the huge success as other franchises like Avengers, Spiderman, LOTR, Pirates, and co.
But I think they should consider the possible reasons of that. XMen have always been popular, since the 90s at least, with the great tv show, and there was even another one on the 2000's for a younger audience, so the popularity isnt the real problem.

with GA X-Men Is bastard stepchild. The one who has huge cult following among comic fans.

X-Men doesn't just have a cult following. It's full blown mainstream.

Calling X-Men a Bastard stepchild is flat out bs.

Last edited:
I agree. if new properties like Pirates, Avatar and more have made huge business, I see no reason why something as epic as "XMen" couldnt have made it too.

I don't think of X-men as the bastard child of anything. It has a huge comic book following, the 90s cartoon was insanely popular (got me hooked), and the first X-men movie paved the way for future comic book movies, specifically showing that team superhero flicks are possible if done right.

The only thing I will say about Spiderman or X-men is that they aren't as "new" to the mainstream as Ironman and Avengers. Before the first Ironman movie, no one outside of the comic book world had a clue who Tony Stark was.

I think you made a point. Maybe the X-Men movies didnt feel as "fresh" or werent "fresh" enough for general audience. The great cast was there, so the reason must be something totally different than that.

I agree. if new properties like Pirates, Avatar and more have made huge business, I see no reason why something as epic as "XMen" couldnt have made it too.

Definitely. Problems lie in the studio decision making and mapping of the franchise as well. DOFP should be the one to get things back on track.

I don't think of X-men as the bastard child of anything. It has a huge comic book following, the 90s cartoon was insanely popular (got me hooked), and the first X-men movie paved the way for future comic book movies, specifically showing that team superhero flicks are possible if done right.

The only thing I will say about Spiderman or X-men is that they aren't as "new" to the mainstream as Ironman and Avengers. Before the first Ironman movie, no one outside of the comic book world had a clue who Tony Stark was.

Pretty much this.

Even In the comics X-Men Is starting to get overshadowed by other characters from what I have heard.

Due to studio wars X-men Is being overshadowed on one hand Avengers,granted DOFP could outgross domesticly Thor:The Dark World,and Spider-man on one side and Superman,even the online hated superman returns did better domesticly than last 3 X-Men films,and Batman on the other. There Is no disputing that.

X-Men at least domesticly has been coming off as more a cult following although somewhat large compared to films above.

Even If DOFP IS received as well as the well received films In Series-X-Men,X2,and First Class there remains possibly Captain America:The WInter Soldier will outgross It.

Definitely. Problems lie in the studio decision making and mapping of the franchise as well. DOFP should be the one to get things back on track.

appart from the studio and their budget issues (between other things) I have more theories, but I wont go there :funny:

appart from the studio and their budget issues (between other things) I have more theories, but I wont go there :funny:

Let me guess more studio bashing and more bashing of not having yellow spandex costumes:whatever:

Even In the comics X-Men Is starting to get overshadowed by other characters from what I have heard.

Whoever told you that couldn't be more wrong. X-Men is huge for Marvel comics right now. We have over a dozen titles and tons of solos. Iron Man and the solo Avengers still don't sell as high as X-Men.

Due to studio wars X-men Is being overshadowed on one hand Avengers,granted DOFP could outgross domesticly Thor:The Dark World,and Spider-man on one side and Superman,even the online hated superman returns did better domesticly than last 3 X-Men films,and Batman on the other. There Is no disputing that.
The only ones who care about studio wars are extreme fans. If X-Men had more movies that looked in scope of Spider-Man 2 or Thor Dark World/Avengers and was mapped out better it would have been a different situation. The X3 audience was huge at the time. Beat Superman Returns and Batman Begins overall. That doesn't mean Supes and Bats are now the bastard stepchild of DC.

Look how long it took to get to Sentinels. They havn't exactly used the franchise to it's potential in the past 14 years.

X-Men at least domesticly has been coming off as more a cult following although somewhat large compared to films above.
Dish out bad movies and your audience will start to go. You need to reel them back. Fox have been doing that.

Even If DOFP IS received as well as the well received films In Series-X-Men,X2,and First Class there remains possibly Captain America:The WInter Soldier will outgross It.

They have a better track record and unleashed an epic sized crossover. Of course they have that chance.

Last edited:
Agreed on every single point def. People that are upset X-Men haven't been able to compete with the current Marvel movies or Batman can hold Fox accountable.

The first two movies + First Class & TW were all great but due to budget constraints and the sheer fact that Fox hasn't displayed any sort of confidence in this franchise until now, the X-Men haven't truly been able to live up to their full potential.

Hopefully that changes after DOFP, but to say X-Men under perform because they aren't as popular as other current heroes is ridiculous. Marvel took Iron Man, a superhero that most people barely even knew existed, an turned him into a superhero more popular than Spider-Man and X-Men currently. Same could be said for Captain, Thor and to a lesser extent Black Widow. They placed confidence in their characters and it's paid off.

+1
Since Fox cant do more solo movies, the team ones should really sell the other X-Men, mainly the ones that havent shined enough yet. If they do that in Dofp and next movies, the XMen will get more popular, beloved and succesful

+1
Since Fox cant do more solo movies, the team ones should really sell the other X-Men, mainly the ones that havent shined enough yet. If they do that in Dofp and next movies, the XMen will get more popular, beloved and succesful

They may not be able to do solo movies in the traditional sense of the word but they can certainly do more solo "team films" such as X-Force, X-Factor, Xcalibur etc.

That way, they can break things up, have smaller team sizes and spread characters out instead of having to shove every big player into one team. With that format, there's no way every character is going to be able to shine equally - there's just not enough room.

Last edited:
count me in for XForce, that movie is a must to me. But I still think Fox could make all the xmen shine on the same movie, its just about spreading the screentime better, with a plot revolving all the team, instead of 2 or 3 members with a big role. We have seen enough material with them, so now they can develop the others a bit more, while keeping the main players.

I just don't think it's going to continue to work to have the big players all in one movie.

- Cyclops
- Jean
- Storm
- Kitty
- Iceman
- Beast
- Rogue
- Wolverine
- Colossus
- Professor X

In addition to any new members they'd introduce or reintroduce such as:

- Angel
- Gambit
- Nightcrawler
- Havok
- Banshee
- Emma Frost

Not to mention any side players like Moira MacTaggert and anyone else. It gets to the point where it's starting to feel stuffed. Some people character are inevitably going to have to take a back seat.

If they were smart they'd keep Wolvie in his own solo run, spin-off Kitty into Excalibur with Nightcrawler, put Angel into X-Force and Havok into X-Factor and put Banshee anywhere to fill that gaps. That would leave about 7-8 characters in the main X-Men team which is way more manageable than have upwards of 12-15 big characters. fighting for screen time.

with GA X-Men Is bastard stepchild. The one who has huge cult following among comic fans. Think trekkers pre2009 only larger.

Oh, for god's sake...my 6-year-old nephew even knows who the X-Men are.

EW should've thought about photoshopping that Mystique pic some since you can clearly tell JLaw is wearing a body suit.

Oh, for god's sake...my 6-year-old nephew even knows who the X-Men are.

Well the X-Men are to GA compared to Iron man,Avengers,SPider-man,Batman,and Superman.

Inless GA shocks me no matter how good DOFP Is it's doudtful It reachs Iron Man,The AVengers,SPider-man trilogy,Dakr Knight and dark Knight rises levels.

Maybe it can surprise people and reach Amazing SPider-man or man of steel levels

The filmakers behind DOFP first said it so you will also have to argue with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"