The official Dream director thread.

Wonder Woman- Matthew Vaughn- Vaughn was producing Guy Ritchie movies when they were good. Since their split Ritchie hasnt been the same so I wonder how much control Vaughn actually had. He was interested in both Thor and X-Men at a time and now doing Kick-Ass so obviously he likes the genre. The screencaps of Kick-Ass look delightfully cheesy, something that would come in handy when Wonder Woman first enters man's world. Vaughn also knows goofy yet likeable heroes which would come in handy for Steve Trevor. All he'd have to do his hold him back a little and let Wonder Woman naturally enter the foreground. Hes also done Stardust and wanted to do Thor so i think he has an interest in the mythological, sword-and-sandal realm of action movies.

Lobo- Neveldine and Taylor. N+T know CRAZY action and characters. Afterall they created the ridiculousness that is Crank and up the bar even more for Crank 2. They recently wrote the screenplay for Hex so they are probably interested in comics.

Martian Manhunter- Alex Proyas. Theres 2 possible directions for MM: big sci-fi or sci-fi noir. Either way Proyas has the chops for either. Big Sci-fi, Proyas has done I,Robot which I liked and Knowing coming out plus was once attached to Silver Surfer. sci-fi noir is apparent in Dark City and The Crow, cult faves definitely among comic fans. Again Proyas is also definitely interested in comics with both The Crow and rumored for Silver Surfer.

The Fourth World- Steve Spielberg or James Cameron. Bare with me. I don't know if Fourth World has the drawing power that other stories would, comic or not. I think an outsider looking at the Fourth World could be easily be turned off by then design. But the nature of the stories definitely lends itself to bigger scope, bigger stories, and bigger budgets. I think this is the kinda thing Spielberg or Cameron would love. Really big sci-fi world with the potential of great visuals and story. and both have the drawing power needed for a studio to risk millions of dollars on anything. They are definitely considered gods of filmmaking especially with this kind of movie. The only problem I see is it being so well established as a comic book that either would be turned off at the idea of not doing something they could change or control more as much as they would be entitled to.

Metal Men- Robert Zemeckis- Zemeckis has a great way of making quirky funny dramas (Forrest Gump and Cast Away). And if they go older for Will Magnus, that Tom Hanks would kill it. Hes a little inexperienced with action-packed stuff but he definitely scratched the surface with Back to the Future movies and Romancing the Stone. Who Framed Roger Rabbit was fantastic that mixed thriller, action, and comedy but still made it fairly appropriate for all ages. Roger Rabbit also had experience with him directing actors with characters who weren't really there since the MEtal Men would have to be CGI. Currently Zemeckis is on a CGI bender with Beowulf and Polar Express, and he has the Christmas Carol on the way, he may jump at the chance to mix the techniques of the 3D animation with the superimposing techniques of roger rabbit.

Last edited:
Doom Patrol-Terry Gilliam. Gilliam's work is always best when he is messing around with fantastical characters. Terry's work also relies heavily on personal identity, a theme that would complement the premise of alienation and pain that Doom Patrol has. Terry's visual style would also complement Morrison (and pretty much anything Morrison has done really). Gilliam needs a comeback and this kind of movie could be right up his alley. Gilliam used to have great practical effects but has been using more computer effects so I would be hoping for a blend of these two methods. Gilliam was once attached to Watchmen so I think that he has some interest in comics as well.

What does every1 think about Rian Johnson for MM?

Deadman- Guillermo del Toro. Del Toro is a self-proclaimed comic fan, has made one of the best adaptations with Hellboy, and has already expressed interest in Deadman. He is a growing name within the industry. Pan's Labrynth and the Hellboy movies were fantastic. He seems to love fantasy and supernatural elements and weaves great stories from them. Plus he knows Doug Jones who would make an excellent Deadman.

Kamandi- Alfonso Cuaron. Cuaron is an up and coming director. Him and Del Toro and Alejandro González Iñárritu are considered the next generation Spielberg/Lucas/Coppolla. Children of Men was great and dealt with post-apocalypse type environment and had a lot of the human despair/desperation. He also handled a Harry Potter movie very successfully, so big blockbuster fantasy based movie isn't out of his league.

Shazam- Mike Newell. A former Harry Potter director so he knows fantasy. He directed Donnie Brasco which has little to do with Shazam except for being an excellent movie, so Newell is at least an experienced and accomplished director. Newell has experience with the Young Indiana Jones series so he is at least familiar with adventure. He is also currently directing Prince of Persia, which could make or break him as an option.

Plastic Man- Edgar Wright. I'm a huge fan of Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead. I thought they effortlessly injected comedy into the respective genres of action and horror without making them stupid spoof movies. The way I see Plas is a funny goofy character but in a relatively legit storyline.

I also realize how silly it is for me to continue to post in a thread that doesnt seem to have a whole lot of interest but I come up with a director idea and I have to put it somewhere. Oh well.

I'm reading it and liking it. Keep bringing it on. And i'd like to see Edgar Wright's Plastic Man.

Wonder Woman: Guillermo del Toro. The Hellboy movies, Pan's Labyrinth...Del Toro not only can tell a good story that takes idea from different myths, but is excellent with visuals and action.

Flash - Michael Bay
Michael Bay is one of the best directors in America today, I don't care how unpopular that opinion is. No one outdoes Bay in visual effects and Flash offers one of the most interesting visual challenges in a Superhero film. I would also love to see Bay's Superman.

Superman - Alfonso Cuaron
Cuaron created my favorite film of all time, Children of Men, and I would love to see him handle Superman. He can handle the big franchise as shown with Harry Potter and with a mature and intelligent script, his Superman movie could be a masterpiece.

Green Arrow - Paul Greengrass
Green Arrow, Greengrass. Seems like a fit to me.

A lot of very very cool pairings in this thread. For some bizzare reason I would find it cool if Ridley Scott (has he been the most mentioned director on this thread?) take a stab at The Human Target (especially if they use the Vertigo take of the character as a Blue print. It can be sort of a "Bourne Identity", "24", "WiseGuy" mix).

I don't think Bay is the right director for "The Flash". For "Superman", maybe, but "The Flash"? I don't think so. And i agree with Paul Greengrass's "Green Arrow".

Wonder Woman: Guillermo del Toro. The Hellboy movies, Pan's Labyrinth...Del Toro not only can tell a good story that takes idea from different myths, but is excellent with visuals and action.

Nice one. I also like the Snyder name drop because he and del Toro have action, visuals and cinematography all wrapped in respect to source material.

Seeing her lasso some Clash of the Titans **** in those sweeping camera shots would be a visual orgy.

Superman- Ridley Scott. I have been holding reservation for a Superman movie for a while. Bit Ridley Scott has the right amount of talent, notoriety, and experience to handle a Superman movie. He is an event director who understands the need for the thrill of action, but not at the expense of the heart of the drama and vice versa.

Aquaman- Kevin Reynolds. Waterworld and Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves were not all that great, but Costner was getting a little to involved in Reynolds job, but I thought they were shot very well. The performances were not always top notch, but they looked incredible. Same with Tristan + Isolade (didnt see it so I cant really vouch for the performances). BUt his version of the Count of Monte Cristo was fantastic, and in many ways mirrors the Aquaman concept I think. Curry outcasted by his friend/brother who tries to take his place of power.

Swamp Thing/Hellblazer- David Cronenberg. Simply the idea of Cronenberg adapting Alan Moore is reason enough to produce this movie. Cronenberg has been on a real realistic trip lately with both History of Violence and Eastern Promises not sharing his usual visceral imagery, but his dramatic turn in thrillers and his classic visceral sci-fi both would combine to make the ultimate Swamp Thing movie.

Last edited:
Transmetropolitan- Luc Besson. I originally thought of him for The Invisibles, but I think he is too flashy for that. Transmet is still a pretty dingy environment but has a satirical flare to it that would benefit from Besson's sometimes "out there" vision.

Gen13- Bret Ratner. After X3, Im sure there are plenty of haters, but I still dont think hes good for nothing. Gen13 is a pretty upbeat action story, the kind of stories that have practically made Ratner famous. And he isnt completely useless when it comes to drama seen with The Family Man and Red Dragon. Furthermore, Gen13 is a book that seems a little too hard to be trendy which is something it has in common with Ratner. X3's effects were still good regardless of the story. In fact I think he worked with every power Gen13 has in X3 (Rainmake/Storm, Freefall/JEan, Burnout/Pyro, Fairchild/Juggernaut sorta, Grunge/Colossus sorta)

Jack of Fables- Richard Kelly. I loved Donnie Darko regardless of the mixed reviews. Really captured the portrait of a depressed, troubled kid who was a little more than human, kinda like Jack. Southland Tales had even worse reviews but I still dug it. It was flawed, but i think its biggest flaw was not following one character, which is alleviated when focusing on Jack rather the entire Fables realm. I think Kelly's visual style and fearless storytelling (not afraid to be weird) would complement Jack of Fables.

Last edited:
Resurrection Man- Frank Darabont. Darabont is a great underrated writer/director. Shawshank Redemption was fantastic. The Mist was great too and he actually got to do more action and use of visual effects. I think he would balance the dark tone, the depressing and fearful human emotions, and the horror atmosphere that relates to R-Man. PLus he worked with Tom Jane who would make a kickass R-Man

Unknown Soldier- Clint Eastwood. If Eastwood knows anything, he knows the gruff heroic loner. The Unknown Soldier allows Eastwood the chance to work on something that is not so obvious of a superhero movie. He is well equipped with action and drama, and is seasoned in dealing with war and war vets. He would also bring a name brand quality to a lesser known hero and a bigger budget to what could be a risky film to invest in.

Last edited:
Superman: Steven Spielberg
He submitted a script to WB in 1974 and they told him to go to hell. Then he made Jaws and WB wanted him to do Supes, but Spielberg didn't like the direction the Salkinds were going in and told them to goto hell. Half of me wants to know what could have been, and the other half wants to see what Spielberg could do with some of the more excellent Post-Crisis Superman material.

Wonder Woman: Joss Whedon
Yank Joel Silver off the property, beg Joss to come back on hands and knees, and fast track the result with the same level of commitment the Wachowski Brothers got for the Matrix movies. The only stipulation being that it is done in such a way that that it doesn't preclude a Justice League franchise.
Other Possibilities: Ridley Scott, Kathryn Bigelow

Green Lantern: Ridley Scott
The current storyboard premise is a trainwreck waiting to happen. Scott is the only director I trust to get both the space opera and interpersonal relationship aspects together right.

Flash: David Goyer
I was really psyched about storyboard premise of that particular proposal. But if thay are going with Barry....

Shazam!: John August
WB needs to get on its collective knees to beg him back. It looked like he had the perfect idea for Captain Marvel.

Green Arrow: Joel Schumacher
No, I'm serious. Veronica Guerin shows the perfect tone for how a Green Arrow movie should be made. Show Joel a copy of The Longbow Hunters, dump that load of $#!+ that is Supermax and give us a real Green Arrow movie.
Other Possibilities: Kevin Reynolds, Bruce Malmuth

The Question: Quintin Tarrantino
He's done neo-noir and faux-exploitation tales of black and gray morality. He's done female martial artists respectfully (for the most part). And with that guest directorial spot on Sin City, he's even done comic book films.
Other possibilities: Bryan Singer, Curtis Hanson

Aqua-Man: James Cameron
If this isn't the DC Comic property for Cameron, none of them are.

Doom Patrol: Terry Gilliam (for the original Sixties incarnation) Tim Burton (for the 70's/80's or the Grant Morrison Version)
Terry's the guy I wanted to do Fantastic Four and the original Doom Patrol is the closest thing DC has to it.

Metal Men: Alex Proyas
Whan it's done at its best, it's X-men meets I, Robot. 'Nuff said.

Dial "H" for Hero: Alex Winter
He did a good job with with Ben Tennison. Let's see how he does with the urqual, Robbie Reed.

Plastic Man: The Wachowski Brothers
Their script was incredible, and the state of the art has advanced enough to make it work without breaking the bank. Jim Carrey is slowly aging out of the part, but there's still Peter Carell.
Other Possibilities: Tim Burton, Alam Shankman

Transmetropolitain: Terry Gilliam
He's the only one I can think of who can keep it bizzare enough without turning it into high camp.

Animal Man: M. Night Shamalyan
I can think of no one who does the Tomato Surprise in cinema better than him.

Now tear it apart!

Last edited:
He submitted a script to WB in 1974 and they told him to go to hell. Then he made Jaws and WB wanted him to do Supes, but Spielberg didn't like the direction the Salkinds were going in and told them to goto hell. Half of me wants to know what could have been, and the other half wants to see what Spielberg could do with some of the more excellent Post-Crisis Superman material.

Brilliant. I forgot about Spielberg's pitch back in the 70s.

Catwoman: Steven Soderberg I'd love to see a real Catwoman film with Selina. I think something along the lines of Selina's Big Score would translate beautifully to film.

Wonder Woman: Matthew Vaughn, just read cereal's post above :up:

Plastic Man: Ivan Reitman, I'd like to see a funny superhero comedy.

Aquaman: John Stockwell, his movies have only been decent so far, but they've had some AMAZING underwater cinematography that would bode well for Aquaman.

Perhaps the greatest director of all time. Seems like a pretty good choice to me.

Batman: David Fincher
His dark films like Seven and Fight Club would provide the perfect template for how the Batman should be portrayed in cinema. His dark and gritty tone would probide the perfect environment for a "Batman" movie.

Wonder Woman: Zack Snyder
He's proven he can do epic, and his "300" should give some sort of idea of how to make a "Wonder Woman" movie.

Flash: Jon Favreau
He can make a superhero film hilarious and serious at the same time. See "Iron Man" for proof. Flash should be modeled somewhat off of "Iron Man", so this guy is perfect for the job.

Green Lantern: JJ Abrams
For some reason, when I saw "Cloverfield", I was thinking that it reminded me of how a "Green Lantern" movie should be made. His "Star Trek" looks phenomenal, and hopefully that shows he can do deep space epic movies like Green Lantern.

JLA: Peter Jackson
The dude makes movies that are epic as hell, so why don't they bring on his usual crew that helped with the "Lord Of The Rings" and make a badass "JLA" movie? The dude would do an awesome job.

Martian Manhunter: M. Night Shyamalan
I don't really have a reason as to why M. Night Shyamalan should do a MM movie, but if he just set MM in like the '40's and made it a crime noir drama with a little alien thrown in, this movie would kick ass.

I know this is a DC thread, but I think Abrams would be perfect for Fantastic 4. Watch Fringe, it's almost the FF except without costumes and powers.

Catwoman: Steven Soderberg I'd love to see a real Catwoman film with Selina. I think something along the lines of Selina's Big Score would translate beautifully to film.

thats an interesting idea

Green Lantern: J.J. Abrams.

I'VE SEEN THE LIGHT! :woot:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back