The Official Golden Compass (Northern Lights) Thread - Pictures, News, Posters...

305 million overseas is good. Sure, its a HUGE disappointment in the states but still.
Sucks that new line sold the overseas rights, they didn't get a dime from that 305 million...that sucks! No wonder they're not into a sequel.

I thought the movie was just okay 7/10 for me but it seemed like a sequel might have been awesome. Oh well

Yeah, 7/10 was my rating as well, but if we get a better adaptation 10 years down the line, I'm more than willing to wait.

^^7/10 was mine too i think.

The chances for a sequel happening seem to be very small now though you never know in Hollywood. If it doesn't get made it would be a shame with a cliffhangar ending like that one.

I'm amazed though by the contrast between the US box office figure and the overseas numbers. It's made more than 4 times it's US take overseas!:wow:

Also, the dvd is one of 2008 top sellers.
http://www.the-numbers.com/dvd/charts/annual/2008.php

I'm amazed though by the contrast between the US box office figure and the overseas numbers. It's made more than 4 times it's US take overseas!:wow:

1.9 million units isn't exactly a really big seller ($40 million is nothing to sneeze at, but combined with the domestic gross it still falls short of the projected production cost of $180-200 million). If it was on the level of, say, POTC 3 in terms of sales, I think WB would've considered a sequel.

such a shame... i actually (surprisingly) loved the first one....

^^7/10 was mine too i think.

The chances for a sequel happening seem to be very small now though you never know in Hollywood. If it doesn't get made it would be a shame with a cliffhangar ending like that one.

Even with DVD sales though, it just didnt make enough domestically. This needs to be re-adapted 10 years down the line IMO.

1.9 million units isn't exactly a really big seller ($40 million is nothing to sneeze at, but combined with the domestic gross it still falls short of the projected production cost of $180-200 million). If it was on the level of, say, POTC 3 in terms of sales, I think WB would've considered a sequel.

How the heck did they even end up spending so much money on this movie in the first place?I know it has an all star cast and lots of effects but even so....180 million?:huh:
Even with DVD sales though, it just didnt make enough domestically. This needs to be re-adapted 10 years down the line IMO.
What a shame that the overseas numbers don't seem to mean that much to some studios execs cause 302 million is a great gross for any movie.It just shows that movie wasn't marketed properly and/or released at the wrong time in the States.

Here are some qoutes from author Phillip Pullman and actress Dakota Blue Richards on a possible sequel.

Sunday 27th July 2008

He told the Oxford Mail: "It is quite possible that a sequel will happen but, as everyone knows, the film did not do well in the box office in America and that has a large effect on people's plans. I spoke to the producers last week and they told me about the latest developments.

"They are getting a script together and they have plans to get things going - in time all things are possible and I feel quite positive about it."
October 4, 2008

She says that despite the cliff-hanger close to The Golden Compass (Lyra flying off in a Zeppelin, in hot pursuit of Daniel Craig) parts two and three of her big-budget adventures are still on hold. The movie made over $360 million worldwide, but at a budget of $180 million this wasn’t seen as quite the right level of returns. “If they are going to make the other two films, I don’t think they’ll be doing them for some time. They might have to change the cast by then.”
Source:http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/2410519.high_hopes_for_pullman_film_sequel/
http://entertainment.timesonline.co.../film/london_film_festival/article4867879.ece

^If they are going to wait that long, they may as well just re-start the franchise with an adaptation a bit closer to the books, and with a director who can handle the story.

^If they are going to wait that long, they may as well just re-start the franchise with an adaptation a bit closer to the books, and with a director who can handle the story.

I agree. I'll hold my breath for the re-boot.

Can't blame the director. His script was shredded by the suits. This makes me sad. DBR was the perfect Lyra.

^I agree she was a great Lyra, and yes the suits did have an impact on the movie, but it wasnt the best adaptation of the book anyway.

Well lets look at it this way. Before he even sat to write a script he was told he had to get rid of the religious edge, write a film that comes in at 2 hours at the most, and he had to end the film on an upbeat tone.

Even with this he had quite a nice script, which was picked apart. Cut a good 30 minutes of his film. Then they made him change the finale that had already been filmed. No chance.

Well lets look at it this way. Before he even sat to write a script he was told he had to get rid of the religious edge, write a film that comes in at 2 hours at the most, and he had to end the film on an upbeat tone.

Even with this he had quite a nice script, which was picked apart. Cut a good 30 minutes of his film. Then they made him change the finale that had already been filmed. No chance.

Is this all really true? Due you have a source for this info?

I will see what I can find. I followed the development about a year out after reading the books.

A lot came out when it was revealed that they cut the finale. Weitz tried to sell it as his idea, but it was obviously not the truth. There were script reviews that mention scenes he inserted in his rewrite from previous scripts, that got hacked while still only on the page. If you watch the dvd extras there is an undercurrent of his annoyance. He even got fired at one point (after fixing the initial script), only to be rehired right before filming was to start. When talking about a sequel he has mentioned wanting more control.

And look I did find one of the articles.

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2007/12/golden_compass_scripts.html

Last edited:
Yea that's all truth. Check some of the older news stories on www.bridgetothestars.net as well. Weitz fought a lot with New Line over the content as well as casting issues (for example how they changed all the daemon voices and Iorek's voice with "celebrity" voices).

Edit: Just saw this to. No wonder New Line was so skittish.

Banned Books Week Begins in the US
Posted by krebbe on September 27, 2008 in Discussion
September 27 marks the start of a week long celebration of freedom to read and opposition to censorship. According to the American Library Association, more than 400 books were challenged in 2007. The Golden Compass came in at #4 most challenged, with the primary complaint being its “religious viewpoint”. The week will feature displays in public libraries and events with authors reading sections from their favourite banned or challenged books.

The censorship issue has been a topical one, appearing in the 2008 US presidential elections when it was revealed that Republican Vice-President nominee Sarah Palin had once enquired to her town librarian about the procedure for banning books with inappropriate language, although there have not been any reports of further action being taken. The controversy surrounding The Golden Compass movie is also fresh in the minds of His Dark Materials fans, with the “misdirected” attacks lamented by Mr Pullman for their effect on the film’s box office receipts in the US.

Further details about the anti-censorship week can be found on the banned books website.

That is also my site of resources when it comes to HDM. Good site.

Last edited:
Something funny because it made me double post.

Yea that's all truth. Check some of the older news stories on www.bridgetothestars.net as well. Weitz fought a lot with New Line over the content as well as casting issues (for example how they changed all the daemon voices and Iorek's voice with "celebrity" voices).

Edit: Just saw this to. No wonder New Line was so skittish.

I still dont think Weitz had the skills to make a good film anyway though, a more experienced director was needed to bring the story fully to life. Although the studio didnt help.

Not one iota. It is a shame, this had so much potential but it turned into a been-there, done-that thing. Shame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"