The Official Golden Compass (Northern Lights) Thread - Pictures, News, Posters...

For TGC I agree. However for SK and TAS, there is actually a strong case to be made that it has athiest (or anti-organized religion) overtones. But some folks do identify with and are religous.

True, but what these groups were pushing was that the movie was about "a little girl who sets out to kill God." Which absolutely wasn't true.

^What was funny was that movie had barely any anti-religious messages in it, it was more to do with anti-authority and anti-grown-up more than anything.

I really did enjoy this movie when it came out. I do hope we get a sequel, but who knows. Here's to wishful thinking.

True, but what these groups were pushing was that the movie was about "a little girl who sets out to kill God." Which absolutely wasn't true.

Yea that is true. I don't mind open debates about the material (in fact that I think is what pullman would want), but I wish folks were more informed on it.

Movie is upto $350 million WW now according to Boxofficemojo. It must be doing REALLY well in Japan.

Pullman's new short story prologue to His Dark Materials comes out April 8th

51AUjFD97TL._AA240_.jpg

In this new prequel episode from Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials universe, Lee Scoresby--Texan aeronaut and future friend to Lyra Belacqua--is just 24 years old, and he's recently won his hot-air balloon in a poker game. He finds himself floating North to the windswept Arctic island of Novy Odense, where he and his hare daemon Hester are quickly tangled in a deadly plot involving oil magnate Larsen Manganese, corrupt mayoral candidate Ivan Poliakov, and Lee's longtime nemesis from the Dakota Country: Pierre McConville, a hired killer with at least twenty murders to his name.

It's only after Lee forms an alliance with one of the island's reviled armored bears that he can fight to break up the conspiracy in a gun-twirling classic western shoot out--and battle of wits. This exquisite clothbound volume features the illustrations of John Lawrence, a removable board game—Peril of the Pole—on the inside back cover, and a glimpse for Pullman fans into the first friendship of two of the most beloved characters in the His Dark Materials trilogy: Lee Scoresby and armored bear Iorek Byrnison.

I also recomend the other HDM book Pullman wrote, Lyra's Oxford. It's a short story about Lyra after the events of HDM, and highly recomended if you need your Lyra and Pan fix.

According to Boxofficemojo.com, TGC is now upto just over $367 million WW, its done incredibly well overseas, maybe we will see The Subtle Knife after all.

If they treat it anything like they did the Golden Compass I sincerely hope not.

^Well its at WB now, i hope they get a different director Weitz was just in too much of a hurry with the movie, it all went by too fast without really stopping for some character and emotion.

Pullman's new short story prologue to His Dark Materials comes out April 8th.

Has anyone seen this out yet? I have yet to see the movie but I am currently about halfway through book 3.

Has anyone seen this out yet? I have yet to see the movie but I am currently about halfway through book 3.

It should be available for order on amazon. I have no idea if it is in stores, though borders or any place like it is a safe bet.

Didn't see this movie in theaters but I will rent it...

US Release: April 29
UK Release: April 28

36271948ys2.jpg

73627039xr0.jpg

Wow! This film made big bucks overseas, pretty shocking imo for a film that didn't even cross 100 million domestic.

I hope we do get a sequel.
I still give this movie a C+ but I would probably watch a sequel. There is room for improvement and the first hour of the film was awesome!!..the other half, not so great.

I'll be picking up the dvd! I hope the dvd sales will warrant a sequel!

^It seems the movie isnt finished WW yet, its still making money at the BO from somewere.

Got the UK version of the DVD today, the 2 disc, supposed 'Extended Edition', yet the movie wasnt extended at all, isnt that a joke, not too mention false advertising.

My feelings on the movie are still just the same though, it was too short, moved along too fast, and the ending they chose was just too sudden, there should have been more Daniel Craig as well.

So has no one bought the so called 'extended edition' only to find it not extended at all?

^Seriously? I haven't had a chance to buy it yet. What scenes were added, if any?

^Seriously? I haven't had a chance to buy it yet. What scenes were added, if any?

NON, zero, zilch, absolutely NO scene's were added, despite it stating in big letters on the covers '2 Disc Extended Edition.'

Its a joke.

Did anyone get the Best Buy exclusive? I was wondering what was on the 45min. exclusive disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"