Guardians of the Galaxy The Official Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 Rotten Tomatoes/Critic Reaction Thread

If anything I rarely see anyone defend TASM2. People treat it like it scored in the 30s on the Tomatometer.

(For the record, I strongly disliked TASM2.)
Must be a difficult job!

81% seems surprisingly low. I'd say it should be in the 90s.
I've said it before but as the years go on this film will grow in stature. It's hand made for film theory enthusiasts. As evidenced by this thread, some critics apparently wake up in a puddle of drool. Many of the reviews were paper thin in exposition and focused more on whether certain jokes worked (certainly an important factor) and little on the subtext/themes of the film. Because something so zany and colorful wouldn't dare have such things to mine. What is also weak about many critics is their lack of understanding or blatant dismissal of the role emotions play in film, and often equate emotion with 'messiness' or 'cheap manipulation'. Just ask Spielberg how his emotional work was often dismissed by critics back in the day as somehow less serious or important because he embraced emotional moments or constructed his films for emotional payoffs and catharsis. He lacked a certain emotional restraint for these critics, which many still don't know how to digest today. While 81% is an excellent score, I definitely think this film is more personal and superior to the first, which is 10 points higher in approval and .7 higher on AVG..

Last edited:
I agree, it's ability to work on multiple subsequent viewings is equal and in some ways greater than the first Avengers film. Each time I watch GOTG Vol. 2 I notice something that I hadn't before and yet feel slightly embarrassed not to have noticed before, like Peter listening to the Zune on Yondu's bed.

I've said it before but as the years go on this film will grow in stature. It's hand made for film theory enthusiasts. As evidenced by this thread, some critics apparently wake up in a puddle of drool. Many of the reviews were paper thin in exposition and focused more on whether certain jokes worked (certainly an important factor) and little on the subtext/themes of the film. Because something so zany and colorful wouldn't dare have such things to mine. What is also weak about many critics is their lack of understanding or blatant dismissal of the role emotions play in film, and often equate emotion with 'messiness' or 'cheap manipulation'. Just ask Spielberg how his emotional work was often dismissed by critics back in the day as somehow less serious or important because he embraced emotional moments or constructed his films for emotional payoffs and catharsis. He lacked a certain emotional restraint for these critics, which many still don't know how to digest today. While 81% is an excellent score, I definitely think this film is more personal and superior to the first, which is 10 points higher in approval and .7 higher on AVG..

It certainly had a lot of good stuff in it, I think GOTG 2 will stick around for a pretty long time.

How the heck did this fall to 81%? It wasn't as great as the first but I would have expected high 80s at worst.

A mix of "not new" and "somewhat weird pacing", I'd say. It doesn't surprise me, and while I think its better than, say, Ant-Man, the rating doesn't offend me or anything. GotG2 is a movie heavily involved with world-building, and I suspect movie critics are always going to dock some points for that.

I prefer GotG II/AoU/TDW > GotG I/TA/Thor

This movie should be minium 89%

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"