The Thor: Ragnarok Rotten Tomatoes/Critic's Reaction Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is so awesome it went back up to 97% even if just for a moment. Wow!

Very close to the 150 mark.

OK. I think we can call it fity fity. It's basically gotten half the reviews and is at 96%. 11/12 fresh puts this above IM. It's been doing better than that (14/15) since what I think was about a 70/71 start.

Unless we're dealing with a different population.....blah blah blah......

Last edited:
Superhero fans deserve better than this

Don't you just love it when some critics presume to speak for everyone and tell us what we deserve?

We DO deserve better.....from critics.....

I don't mind someone not liking a movie, but I can't stand pompous....uhh...well....what was it the Guardians of the Galaxy were called?

Wow... Well then, color me shocked. Surprised she did like it.

I still just mostly ignore Dargis' reviews though, LOL!

Dargis is one of those critics who has crawled so far up their own ash that I can't take them seriously. Long before the MCU was a gleam in Kevin Feige's eye, she proved to be a disinterested reviewer when it came to genre films she thinks are beneath her lofty standards. Only movies with pretentions that match her own merit serious analysis. Even with movies she seems to like, Dargis isn't an engaging or persuasive writer. On more than one occasion her bland, boilerplate prose has caused me to suspect she spent most of her time in the theater checking her email rather than paying attention to the film at hand.

Berardinelli's position as a top critic is somewhat mystifying. His reviews are only published on his own micro-site and apart from having his blurbs read on RT he doesn't seem to reach a mass audience. The editors must have chosen him, I suppose.

Your daughter sounds a lot like me, I'm also in my 30's and have been reading comics for 20+ years. :yay: I didn't originally get into comics through my parents but through a friend at school. Top parenting there though Surfer, your daughter is very lucky to have such a cool dad. :woot:

To get back on topic, how many fresh reviews is it now until the percentage raises to 97%? Just one?

Thank you for the kind words. But really I am the lucky one to be blessed with such a great family.

Surfer

4557849-youre-the-man.gif

Phew! Thats a relief. Now I can actually continue to show up on this site without being embarrassed for making such an absurd claim. Lol

Surfer

OK. I think we can call it fity fity. It's basically gotten half the reviews and is at 96%. 11/12 fresh puts this above IM. It's been doing better than that (14/15) since what I think was about a 70/71 start.

Unless we're dealing with a different population.....blah blah blah......

Wouldn't it be wonderful if Ragnarok ended up with the highest RT score of any superhero movie? That would cause cranial implosions in certain circles. Lots of goalpost-shifting would go on such as insisting that the average is more important than the percentage (already the favorite argument of the some) or that Metacritic gives a better score (even though no one knows how meta-scores are calculated).

That's not a crow that's one of Odin's Ravens. Lol

Surfer

I was pulling up to a drive thru at Burger King a month or so ago and their were two ravens perched up on the speaker box I had to order from. I had never seen one up close. These things were MASSIVE, I'm talkin' easily 2.5 feet long and their beaks/talons could've been murder weapons. #TrueStory

Dargis is one of those critics who has crawled so far up their own ash that I can't take them seriously. Long before the MCU was a gleam in Kevin Feige's eye, she proved to be a disinterested reviewer when it came to genre films she thinks are beneath her lofty standards. Only movies with pretentions that match her own merit serious analysis. Even with movies she seems to like, Dargis isn't an engaging or persuasive writer. On more than one occasion her bland, boilerplate prose has caused me to suspect she spent most of her time in the theater checking her email rather than paying attention to the film at hand.

Berardinelli's position as a top critic is somewhat mystifying. His reviews are only published on his own micro-site and apart from having his blurbs read on RT he doesn't seem to reach a mass audience. The editors must have chosen him, I suppose.

Hi Xeno!!! Wow, it's been a while since we've interacted on the boards here, LOL!

Yeah.... I think you nailed why Dargis' bugs me so much. I feel her disinterest/disdain in particular genre movies. I'll be interested to see who NYT dusts off for Black Panther.

I've actually been more interested lately in sites like The Verge, Vox, and The Atlantic (I think Christopher Orr writes for them now? His reviews of CBMs are generally fair, even if I don't agree with him), and AV CLUB. Their writing seems more engaged in the product, the film itself, rather than slapping together the obligatory, "It feels like a trailer for the next MCU movie..." blah blah blah....

Wouldn't it be wonderful if Ragnarok ended up with the highest RT score of any superhero movie? That would cause cranial implosions in certain circles. Lots of goalpost-shifting would go on such as insisting that the average is more important than the percentage (already the favorite argument of the some) or that Metacritic gives a better score (even though no one knows how meta-scores are calculated).

I'm waiting for its induction into the "Overrated Films" thread :woot:

With a 107 scored reviews counted, its average rating is right now at 7.603.

I was pulling up to a drive thru at Burger King a month or so ago and their were two ravens perched up on the speaker box I had to order from. I had never seen one up close. These things were MASSIVE, I'm talkin' easily 2.5 feet long and their beaks/talons could've been murder weapons. #TrueStory

Wow, it sounds like you went to Burger King for dinner, but almost ended up being dinner. Lol But really those sound like Massive Birds.

Don't forget to vote on who you think would win in the Hulk-Buster Iron Man Vs The Abomination MCU battle going on now.

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=535485

Surfer

Average rating has dropped down to 7.588. This will mostly finish with a 7.5 unless some of the following fresh reviews have 9s and 10s.

I just refreshed the page and it's 95%. 143 fresh to 7 rotten.

When did the 7th rotten review come in?

2 rottens made it drop 2 percent, how stupid.

Last edited:
96%
Average Rating: 7.6/10
Reviews Counted: 157
Fresh: 150
Rotten: 7

"Everything here is a goof."
3/4

Robert Horton
Seattle Weekly

"The third film about Marvel's superhero based on the Norse god of thunder shakes things up drastically, taking the series in a more colorful, more fantastic and more comedic direction."
B-

Britton Peele
Dallas Morning News

"It may sound as if the movie is only for 13-year-old boys, or the Marvel faithful, but it isn't."
4/4

Michael O'Sullivan
Washington Post

"It has confidence in its characters and in its own invention, and so it avoids repetition and stays fresh."
3/4

Mick LaSalle
San Francisco Chronicle

"It's a thrill a minute, which is a lot of thrills for a running time of 130 minutes."
3/4

Maren Longbella
St. Paul Pioneer Press

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"