Iron Man 2 The Official IRON MAN 2 Novelization Thread [ MAJOR SPOILERS ]

But I guess it seems the heroes in Marvel Cinematic Universe only take care of problems pertaining to them, but I guess that's what give the ability for each hero to have their own film.

But, it's not like these heroes can take out others' problems, just because of the timeline so far.

Five years prior to Iron Man, Dr. Banner turns into the Hulk and runs away from Virginia after General Ross tries to capture him, to use Bruce's genes for his own doing.

In Iron Man, Stark becomes Iron Man and S.H.I.E.L.D. finds several occasions to speak to him, even with Stark insisting that he is Iron Man, which Fury tells him "he's not the only superhero", obviously referring to Captain America of course(which, then with The First Avenger: Captain America, events are taken place during WWII and then after that time period, which I think is before Iron Man, as is also when Dr. Banner turns into the Hulk. Cap is thawed out, but under S.H.E.I.L.D.'s watch now, imo).

And now, Iron Man 2, only six months after the first film, nothing extraordinary is happening; maybe the only good reference we can get and will is about the Hulk's path of destruction where he is now residing in Brazil.

And then with Thor, is set AFTER The Incredible Hulk, so most likely we will get more references to the past actions such as the Iron Man films, and then with TIH. And again, will set up why Thor will be working with S.H.I.E.L.D. as it will be known why Iron Man is, and also why "Thunderbolt" Ross will be working with them as well. I suspect a lot of references with S.H.I.E.L.D., a conversation between Thor and Fury, and a cameo of sorts featuring the Hulk(if we go by the route with Loki taking control of the green beast).

Yeah Southwest section sounds like a Thor reference since I believe the setting for that move is in New Mexico.

Anyone got a source on that New Mexico thing?

From everything I've seen, it's only a filming location not where it's actually set.

Likely choosen for the mountain scenery as well as having a lot of empty space to build the town.

If they're taking a cue from the comics, it'd be Nebraska, either way, unlikely that it's the SW reference. Thor's never been associated with the SW, just the Hulk.

EDIT: The only thing I could find was an old obscure casting sheet.

Last edited:
Yeah Southwest section sounds like a Thor reference since I believe the setting for that move is in New Mexico.

Hrm...didn't know Nick Fury could predict future events...

maybe his bald head is really a very dark-colored globe?

Wait, Fury is actually Mysterio!

:cwink:

How is he predicting the future when we don't know where Thor actually fits in to the timeline. For all we know he could have already appeared on earth during Iron Man or Iron Man 2.

And Mysterio can't predict the future.

Great way to be a jackass and show your knowledge of comics.

Off-topic I guess, but am I the only one who doesn't really care about Thor or Capt America? I mean, Thor's kinda cool I guess but I never really read the comics and thought he was kinda meh, ya know? Anyway, my 2 cents.

How is he predicting the future when we don't know where Thor actually fits in to the timeline. For all we know he could have already appeared on earth during Iron Man or Iron Man 2.

And Mysterio can't predict the future.

Great way to be a jackass and show your knowledge of comics.

Says the jackass who doesn't understand that Thor is AFTER The Incredible Hulk, and, in which, TIH is AFTER Iron Man 2.

Great job showing off your knowledge on what's going on with Marvel's Cinematic Universe.

Haha, I picture you, eating your Cheetos, pushing up your thick-rimmed black glass trying to reply to me, in your little gesture of "I am far superior to you! I'll show you who's boss!".

Shut it.

Oh, and genius, no **** Mysterio can't predict the future. It's called "acting like a *****e", which I was. But then again, you're showing your expertise on that subject by your reply. So, I hope you understand my reply, yes?

Please show me official conformation that Thor is set after TIH.

Because as far as i'm aware there hasn't been squat.

Therefore what we all said regarding Thor possibly being referenced in Iron Man 2 is completely valid. All your post did was offend, there was no need for it whatsoever.

No, not valid whatsoever.

Why?

Thor is in Asgard...

We all know that the events in Iron Man (and possibly Iron Man 2) take place before The Incredible Hulk. How does Thor fit into this time-line?

In terms of time-line, Thor is set after The Incredible Hulk. In the script we make mention of gamma radiation and one of the scientist characters, I think Stellan Skarsgard's Professor Ford recalls, “There was brilliant scientist (Bruce Banner). He was a genius with gamma radiation and somehow S.H.I.E.L.D. made him disappear.” So Thor's story would take place after The Incredible Hulk.

http://www.latinoreview.com/news/thor-exclusive-marvel-secrets-from-insiders-part-i-9425

Thank you, see i was completely unaware of that interview.
Maybe next time you should post that first.

Maybe next time read earlier spoilers on other posts? Or, you know, ask me first of all.

I supplied you the resource once you asked.

It's simple to do it.

I want to avoid any major spoilers so I don't really want to go through the summary, but would it be possible for anyone to post the novel's description of Whiplash's final suit?

Haha, I picture you, eating your Cheetos, pushing up your thick-rimmed black glass trying to reply to me, in your little gesture of "I am far superior to you! I'll show you who's boss!".

Shut it.

Oh, and genius, no **** Mysterio can't predict the future. It's called "acting like a *****e", which I was. But then again, you're showing your expertise on that subject by your reply. So, I hope you understand my reply, yes?

Man, you can't talk down to someone like that in that kind of way because it makes you look immature and childish.

Both of you need to relax, it's just a fricken movie timeline.

I want to avoid any major spoilers so I don't really want to go through the summary, but would it be possible for anyone to post the novel's description of Whiplash's final suit?

Basically, Ivan was impressed by the suitcase armor -- that it wasn't clumsy or would slow down the wearer. That it was form fitting. It could make up for his body's weaknesses while amplifying its strengths. So he gives it a 2nd thought after dismissing it originally because of how easy Stark beat him. It would magnify the power of the whips. And for irony and a tip of the hat to Stark for inspiration, he'd put on a helmet and mask. He prides himself on putting it on himself while Stark needs an army of bots to do so.

".. joints were broad and covered only by a carbon fiber mesh"
".. feet and lower legs. These were heavily armored."
"So were the shoulders and torso, to protect vital functions as well as the arc reactor.."
"The helmet was functional and minimalist, its eye slits modeled consciously on the Mark IV but the rest of it designed to look angular and predatory.."
"And the piece de resistance, of course, were the gloves and armoring of the lower arms. The whips could be stored in a spool that wrapped around the forearms. They deployed from a slot inside the wrist, and could be controlled without the user holding them."
"By removing concerns about dropping the whips [...] It was as if they grew from him, and he used them not as a tool but as an extension of his arm."
"The palms and fingers were reinforced with high-tech ceramics derived from spacecraft re-entry shields."
".. face obscured behind a triangular mask"

That's about all I could see.. sounds like that concept pic.

Sounds pretty damn awesome. I just hope he has a pretty decent fight in that armor before getting owned by Warhammer...or is it Pepper? :csad::cmad::cmad:

Basically, Ivan was impressed by the suitcase armor -- that it wasn't clumsy or would slow down the wearer. That it was form fitting. It could make up for his body's weaknesses while amplifying its strengths. So he gives it a 2nd thought after dismissing it originally because of how easy Stark beat him. It would magnify the power of the whips. And for irony and a tip of the hat to Stark for inspiration, he'd put on a helmet and mask. He prides himself on putting it on himself while Stark needs an army of bots to do so.

"So were the shoulders and torso, to protect vital functions as well as the arc reactor.."
"The helmet was functional and minimalist, its eye slits modeled consciously on the Mark IV but the rest of it designed to look angular and predatory.."
"And the piece de resistance, of course, were the gloves and armoring of the lower arms. The whips could be stored in a spool that wrapped around the forearms. They deployed from a slot inside the wrist, and could be controlled without the user holding them."
"By removing concerns about dropping the whips [...] It was as if they grew from him, and he used them not as a tool but as an extension of his arm."
"The palms and fingers were reinforced with high-tech ceramics derived from spacecraft re-entry shields."

whiplash-iron-man-2.jpg

sure sounds like it to me...

Thanks plenty for posting that. Sounds pretty cool. Here's to hoping that its painted crimson red or at least has some crimson decals.

Figs i think he will have a decent fight in his final armour.

My interpretation of the ending...

So as you know War Machine 'kills' Vanko with the ex-wife. Here is my interpretation. During the Justin Hammer/Rhodey scene as we saw in the trailer Rhodey takes many many weapons for War Machine. In the novel he takes a huge missile which is plonked on the opposite shoulder to his Gatling gun. I believe this to be the ex-wife which blows up Vanko. However i don't think the ex-wife is in the film because as we have seen from the Hot Toys figure and what War Machine clips we have seen in the trailers Rhodey has two small rocket pods on both shoulders, no big missile can be seen. Therefore i think the ending is purely fabricated for the novel. So don't worry i think we will get a Iron Man vs. Vanko fight.

If you know the 'ending' ^^ that is why i think he will have a fight in the film unlike the novel.

I'm crossing my fingers and to be honest, why would Favreau give him a new suit of armor near the very end of the film only to have him get owned with little to no fight to show it off.

What do you mean when you say "ex-wife"? Who's ex-wife??

The ex-wife is what Rhodey and Tony call the missile, it's never really explained why.

But I think the missile on Rhodey's shoulder, described in the book. Which isn't present on any action figures or movie clips is the 'ex-wife'.

Oh ok. So is that kind of supposed to replace his RPGs from the comics?

Well if you look at images of the suit from the film as well as the figures he has two launchers on his shoulders, most likely rpgs and one gatling gun.
My assumption would be that they got rid of rpg launchers in the novel to replace them with the 'ex-wife' so they could have a different ending from what we will actually see.

Sorry for all the double posting, the internet here is really starting to annoy me.

Last edited:
The ex-wife is what Rhodey and Tony call the missile, it's never really explained why.

But I think the missile on Rhodey's shoulder, described in the book. Which isn't present on any action figures or movie clips is the 'ex-wife'.

I think its called that simply as a joke/acronym with "Extreme Warfare Infantry Firebomb Explosive" or something similar. The whole ex-wife, divorce, wife takes everything, leaves you with nothing, ultimate destruction thing, I thought, was pretty good and would be funny onscreen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"