The Official Jimmy Olsen Casting & Discussion Thread

Daybreak_st

Old-School Comic Cool
Reaction score
I know there is already a Metropolis/Smallville casting thread but those threads rarely involve discussion of the character along with potential casting. I'd like to see more discussion of jimmy along with potential casting.

My characterization of Jimmy:

Jimmy Olsen:

Jimmy Olsen = awesome! Jimmy is the everyman, young, optimistic, enthusiastic, he’s just an all-around great guy. He’s like the little brother you wish you had. He’s smart but kind of geeky at the same time. He’s also adventurous. I can’t think of any actor who has totally nailed this portrayal of jimmy to date, but the all-star superman comic does a good job of showing this kind of jimmy in action (though its often over the top and he’s a bit older , prob mid-twenties). Ideally Jimmy is between 17-19 years old, probably an intern going to college to study photojournalism. He’s quirky, collects star wars memorabilia. Jimmy should feel like a guy you know or would like to know. He’s definitely likeable and you can see why he and Clark hit it off so well. He’s outgoing while Clark appears to be reserved. He reminds Clark of himself when he was younger, with such an adventurous spirit. Jimmy doesn’t realize just how similar he is to Clark, b/c Clark’s metropolis persona is so dialed back compared to his “real” personality.

That being said he's hard to beg down for an actor. I'd like his age to be between 17-21. Either a photo journalism intern or new graduate. The "cub reporter" thing is very old school. I could see jimmy as a really smart kid who could've gone into engineering or something, but just has a passion for photojournalism and so went for it. I'd like to see his relationship to clark and lois be a solid one. He's friends with clark and kinda looks up to him and thinks lois is the best. For Perry, Jimmy is the son he never had. He's tough on him only b/c he sees the potential in Jimmy to be great. I really like L&C tv show, the DP cast was great, they made us care, we enjoyed their interaction, all that good stuff should be incorporated into the new film. I never felt anything for the DP staff in SR although Sam did a good job for the little time he had as Jimmy. Though i hated seeing him, 1) wear a bow tie 2) call clark "mr. kent" when they obviously looked the same age and 3) get so little screen time.

Someone i think would've been great as Jimmy about 10 years ago is Seth Green.

seth-green-20040723-4698.jpg

the height and look are perfect and his personality could've captured a good modern Jimmy Olsen. I can't think of many actors that give me the same vibe other than Morgan from Chuck and he's also too old now. Any thoughts? I know a lot of people think Anton Yelchin, i too think he's about the onl choice i've seen so far but i'd like more options thrown around. Not a fan of Michael Cera after watching the previews of his new movie. I don't want a jimmy i feel sorry for, i want more of the young everyman who's fun to watch, out of everyone i think jimmy should be fun, even comical but not over the top if that makes sense.

Here's a good look for jimmy i found from a recent comic:

jimmyolsen.jpg

I actually think Aaron Ashmore did a good modern take on Jimmy when he first appeared on Smallville, he was just too old compared w/ Clark and Lois. But jimmy shouldn't be angsty, more of the upbeat character of the film.

Make no mistake people i will not let this thread fade into SHH oblivion by going to page two :o !!! Even if i have to keep posting myself. :oldrazz:

I guarantee someone will suggest Michael Cera before this thread hits page three.

I really like L&C tv show, the DP cast was great, they made us care, we enjoyed their interaction, all that good stuff should be incorporated into the new film.

I think this is one area that the movies have failed, STM included. The daily planet provides great interaction and obviously they turned it into a successful series for 3 seasons. As for jimmy, I like the description you gave. I would want the to avoid the over the top nerdy with bow tie because who dresses like that any more. Him being geeky is fine but that doesn't mean he has to be incapable. He should in a way be the comic relief but not because of his own characteristics but more in his actions.

First off, thanks for posting guys, it was getting lonely in here :yay:

I guarantee someone will suggest Michael Cera before this thread hits page three.

yeah i don't doubt it, i just don't see much Jimmy in the guy. Like i've said in other threads i think the key to good casting is figuring out the character first, personality/attitude and then and only then do you move to the casting stage.

Incidently that's why i think a lot of the casting suggestions for Lois are just wrong, people are basing it all on looks but not on personality/character. I agree with you about Rashida Jones for lois lane, perfect casting there.

I think this is one area that the movies have failed, STM included. The daily planet provides great interaction and obviously they turned it into a successful series for 3 seasons. As for jimmy, I like the description you gave. I would want the to avoid the over the top nerdy with bow tie because who dresses like that any more. Him being geeky is fine but that doesn't mean he has to be incapable. He should in a way be the comic relief but not because of his own characteristics but more in his actions.

I totally agree with you. I just watched all 4 films over the last month and i never really like perry or jimmy. They didn't do a whole lot and their interaction with clark and lois was spotty at best. L & C did the best job with the DP staff hands down. Really hoping they will take a look at it and really wrap their brains around how to portray these characters in the new film so that we actually enjoy seeing them interact.

I agree, geeky jimmy could be cool, but not lame.

Dave Franco. Having seen him on Scrubs, I think he has what takes to be Olsen.

for me i dont really know who i would go for. i wouldnt mind a named guy, but more likely then not jimmy could end up being an uknown. As for the character. i would make him be a good friend to lois and clark, and to be the humor one of the bunch. I would make him an aspiring photojournalist. Who is either still in school and interning at the planet. Or freshing out of college between 19-22 yrs old. Now if he is around 22 yrs old. Then i would want lois and clark to be 28-30 yrs old for the film. So they are a bit more mature on jimmy and all that.

rupert-grint-picture.jpg

Rupert Grint (with a US accent) for Jimmy Olsen

P.S.: I'm gonna get flamed for this, aren't I?

he would be an interesting choice. have u heard him talk in a us accent?

Someone suggested Clark Duke. I like that choice a lot.

rupert-grint-picture.jpg

Rupert Grint (with a US accent) for Jimmy Olsen

P.S.: I'm gonna get flamed for this, aren't I?

If not him .... someone who looks just like him.... and I say leave the long hair. It's time for a more up to date Jimmy.

I do hope they actually go for a young 18-23 yr old actor for the role. if the character of jimmy is going to be a young character. if its true no origin and an established superman for awhile. Then yea going for a slightly older guy would probably work better. But i rather see a young late teens/early 20s jimmy. With a starting out superman at 28-30yrs and lois there too.

Great choices guys! I would say Anton Yelchin is the best choice at this point, just his enthusiasm as Chekov in Star Trek alone sold me on the guy, plus he's the right age. I haven't seen a better choice yet, but i do like the Duke guy if they go for a complete visual departure from traditonal Jimmy.

Are their any actors comparable to a young Seth Green these days? For me he would've been perfect for Jimmy about 10 years ago.

Someone suggested Clark Duke. I like that choice a lot.

That would be me:yay::yay::yay:

My old choice was Christopher Marquette, but Clark Duke has become my new choice, and not just because of Hot Tub Time Machine. I think Duke is a riot and would provide an entertaining Jimmy. I have always Jimmy should be there for comedical purposes first and foremost, and too a point, the Daily Planet as a whole should be funny. Not in an over the top, dumbass Jonah Jameson/J.K. Simmons manner, but smart and sharp. This is why Ted Danson is a favorite choice of mine for Perry White, although I also like Michael Keaton, and if yoiu wanted a gruffer, tough as nails Perry, I would look into William Forsythe.

Also, might it be better if we take this thread and create a "Official Daily Planet staff" thread?

Great points! I started this thread mainly so we get more discussion as to why we want a certain person as jimmy rather than just throwing out names. There is already a "metropolis/Smallville" thread and you pretty much just get names thrown out their, few pictures and a little discussion. I wouldn't mind the new thread you mentioned but it could potentially just mirror the metropolis thread and i'd be dissappointed if we don't get any further discussion on characters beyond random name posting.

yea that is issue for me i dont really know alot of young late teen/early 20 actors i would go with besides yelchin who i would love to see in a comic book movie.

Rupert Grint...hmm. Actually,I was watching the movie hes in,Cherrybomb. He had to do an Irish accent and it was very convincing. But his acting was superb,I never once thought or reminded that he is Ron Weasley,hes quite a versatile actor.

Huntington was almost perfect casting.

Rupert Grint...hmm. Actually,I was watching the movie hes in,Cherrybomb. He had to do an Irish accent and it was very convincing. But his acting was superb,I never once thought or reminded that he is Ron Weasley,hes quite a versatile actor.

With a vocal coach, I'm betting he would be able to do a very credible American accent but he might be a bit old for the part by the time they get rolling with the next film.

I wouldn't mind Rupert Grint at all. Multiple people have said that he's the most talented actor of the three Potter kids and that he has the best chance for a bright future in film after Potter ends its run on the big screen (but, I think someone forgot to tell Radcliffe that.) As someone mentioned earlier, I'm surprised no one has chimed in with Cera's name yet, although I don't think he would ever do it. I could be wrong, though. However, what about the poor man's Michael Cera - Jesse Eisenberg?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"