Jimmy/Jenny - where do you stand?

There is only one Olsen.
196264-19172-114735-1-superman-s-pal-jimmy_super.jpg

Don't act like you totally wouldn't want to see that movie.

I think they missed a chance to go another way with the character - not simply superficial aspects like gender, but in true characterization. Allstar Superman style.

If they go through with this then they must use 867-5309 in the movie.

I'm a bit miffed with it. But it doesn't bother me as much now.

It's probably a change to keep things in a more serious tone.

Jimmy is a comic relief character, a silly little boy more or less. Change into female will probably negate that.
Jenny will probably be Perry's assistant or something. Jimmy was just an ass kisser lol

This is incredibly telling.

The idea that Jenny Olsen "will probably be Perry White's assistant or something" is inherently sexist and kind of makes me want this to be an actual Jenny Olsen even more.

These comics go back a ways, gang. Back to a time where what Rodrigo said would've been the only logical conclusion for a female supporting character.

Jenny Olsen could and should be every bit the "anything for a shot" go-getter confidant photog we would hope the character was if it were Called Jimmy and was a man.

It'd be an eyebrow-raiser to me, to be sure, but not one that would likely bother me too terribly much.

What WOULD bother me is if they pull the "Jimmy's sibling/cousin/whatever" schtick with her, though. "Smallville" might have gotten away with that, but that doesn't mean it should be repeated.

The woman we’re calling “Jenny” is, apparently, a Chicago-based theater actor. No doubt, she’s very talented - but she’s not a “name.” For Jimmy (or even Jenny) Olsen, I suspect they would have cast someone better known. Ergo, she’s not Jenny.

Just a theory. :cwink:

I think for this movie to really be progressive that Jenny should actually be a Transwoman.

That is, her former name was Jimmy, and now she has been living as a woman for several years, is taking hormones, and well into the Pre-Opp phase, and currently saving up for surgery.

There.

Now everybody is happy. :D

Like the big name they got to play Bucky in Captain America, right? Or hey, what about the last guy playing Olsen! There's a name you can easily remem... Wait.

Um.

I think for this movie to really be progressive that Jenny should actually be a Transwoman.

That is, her former name was Jimmy, and now she has been living as a woman for several years, is taking hormones, and well into the Pre-Opp phase, and currently saving up for surgery.

clint-eastwood-disgusted-gif.gif

Like the big name they got to play Bucky in Captain America, right? Or hey, what about the last guy playing Olsen! There's a name you can easily remem... Wait.

Um.
Well, in the context of - specifically - the MOS casting, even the smaller roles are filled by relatively known actors (Meloni, Schiff, Lennix, Zurer, Traue). And even if Jimmy/Jenny gets consigned to not much more than a cameo this time, the production has sort of committed itself to the actor for possible sequels (where, it might be assumed, the DP gets more screentime). But you never know. Perhaps this will be Rebecca Buller’s (I looked up her name) big break. I wish her luck.

Hey, you really are angry. :cwink:

Maybe she dies and Jimmy will take her place in the sequels.

I don't see Clark, Lois, Perry, Martha dying here. Maybe they thought the movie needed an emotional death besides the death of Jonathan which seems pretty much a given now. So Jenny is created for this purpose alone, that's why she got screen time in trailers, she could be a cute and charismatic minor character that will have enough screentime to makes us care for her death.

Honestly, for the first movie, I have no issue with "Jenny", so long as there is mention of Jimmy in someway and that in future films Jimmy is included ;)

Jimmy is probably about to start high school or in his 3 to last year of high school when Clark joins the Daily Planet (the end of Man Of Steel probably) so it makes sense for him to not be there at the moment :)

I dunno. For me, I don't think a Jenny Olson would work because the whole point of the character to me is that he is Superman/Clark's only true guy friend and what that says about Supes. Where Metropolis Clark and Jimmy are portrayed as a couple of nerdy guys who share nerdy interests, it goes a long way to humanizing Supes. It suggests that nerdy, glasses Clark is a true part of Superman's character because he would rather send his time off hanging out with Jimmy. I'm not saying that men can't have true female friends, I have plenty. But the relationship is different I think. However, I'm open-minded. It all depends on how they interpret the character.

Um.

Sam Huntington .... doing great in Being Human. :woot:

Maybe she dies and Jimmy will take her place in the sequels.

I don't see Clark, Lois, Perry, Martha dying here. Maybe they thought the movie needed an emotional death besides the death of Jonathan which seems pretty much a given now. So Jenny is created for this purpose alone, that's why she got screen time in trailers, she could be a cute and charismatic minor character that will have enough screentime to makes us care for her death.

We know Jonathan Kent Is going to die???

Last edited:
Maybe. :p

Jenny? Why? Should be Jimmy. Live it. Love it. Learn it...UNLESS they cast Angelina Jole as Jenny .....:)

Having hate for Jenny Olsen is ridiculous.

As is accusing any diversification as "being PC." Changing race and genders of things that were made when everything was white men only and is now supposed to be happening in modern times makes sense on fourteen different levels. It'd be dumb to have a bunch of white guys (and Lois) just cuz 'that's how they did it in the 30s.'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"