X-Men The Official MCU X-Men News and Discussion Thread

Yeah, what do people expect. X-Men 97 wasn't on the level of BTAS concerning artistry... no matter how much goodwill X'97 has with our youth.

The bad animation of the original is admittedly why it's taken me so long to revisit the series--especially Season 1.

Luckily the stories still hold up and I'm enjoying the rewatch. As long as '97 has the same level of commitment to story & character, I'm optimistic for this revival.

I mean, the animation on the original was s***
If it was too good it wouldn't feel like the original lol
The animation looks stiff, its like an animation made from Adobe Flash two decades ago. And as dated as the original series was, at least it didn't look as stiff as this.

Just look at that action shot with the Wolverine and Gambit in the trailer and compare that to the 90s X-Men intro which look so inspired even to this day.

Also, its been more than 2 decades ago since the original series. Animation have advanced so much. Just because they are reviving a 90s cartoon, it doesn't mean this should look dated/underbudgeted. It should still feel like a successor but with better animation. I didn't get that from the trailer and a lot of the close up shots are horrible. Its like they zoom in a scene and the drawing lines are enlarged. Terrible. I think this looks worse than the original series.

Idk I was mostly joking, I completely disagree with that assessment

I think the shots that look zoomed in ARE zoomed in, and won't look like that in the final show
and outside of a few jittery shots, I think the animation mostly looks much smoother than the original

You also can't compare it to the old show's intro, that's where they put actual time and effort into the animation
If you compare it to actual episodes, this looks remarkably better than the original show's animation

It doesn't look smoother.

The animation doesn't look fluid. And just because its supposed to set in 1997 and a successor to a 90s animated series, it doesn't mean they need to make it look like an animation made in the 90s. If that were their intention, its very bad in eXectution as there are clearly digital effects used which don't look very 90s but cheap looking software animation effects.

Also given Marvel Animation's track record in the last decade, poor animation is not surprising.

Also by theway, for those who didn't know. Thelast few episodes of the original series changed animation studios that the drawing/animation looked worse in those episodes compare to the first several episodes of the show.

Going back to this revival, with shorter episode run, they should have more time topolish the animation but it looks like the studio already moved on working on a 2nd season? Okay...

The bad animation of the original is admittedly why it's taken me so long to revisit the series--especially Season 1.

Luckily the stories still hold up and I'm enjoying the rewatch. As long as '97 has the same level of commitment to story & character, I'm optimistic for this revival.
season 3/4 animation is great imo

I couldn't get past the first episode, but I might give it another shot.

DeWanda Wise as Storm?

e4db2928468259374134e2cfe503068d14343822.gif

I'm even harder pro-race bend after this clip.

as long as he gets to do a fun voice like knives out.

Now that Vanessa Kirby is sue, I need to think of a new Emma. I got such Emma vibes from Renee rapp during one of the songs in mean girls

Now that Vanessa Kirby is sue, I need to think of a new Emma. I got such Emma vibes from Renee rapp during one of the songs in mean girls

How about Lucy Boynton as Emma Frost?

shouldnt she be........ you know............ DAZZLER instead?
I mean, come on! lol she would fit her perfectly, now that I see that clip (wasnt familiar with her yet)

it's going to take me a bit to get use to the different voices (some of them were just a little off from what I expected) the story seems interesting enough to overlook (overhear?) that

and the animation is very well done

I'm intrigued to see where they go with it, and will continue to watch

shouldnt she be........ you know............ DAZZLER instead?
I mean, come on! lol she would fit her perfectly, now that I see that clip (wasnt familiar with her yet)
Kylie Minogue is dazzler, forever and forever and forever

Oh that’s weird, why’s everyone agreeing in the x-fandom? Somethings up

I'm not familiar with Renee Rapp. I think my favourite for the role of Emma Frost is still Sarah Gadon.

I know people mean it in good faith and as a honest update to the Character but I think If you removed "holocaust survivor" from Magneto, even if it never came up in the narrative, attaching any other backstory to his character I think would both alienate a genuine large portion of fans and at the same time using genocides as interchangeable seems a bit ehhh.

It always depends on execution of course and maybe I'm completely wrong in my understanding of it all, but it's just a topic best left as is imo.

I know people mean it in good faith and as a honest update to the Character but I think If you removed "holocaust survivor" from Magneto, even if it never came up in the narrative, attaching any other backstory to his character I think would both alienate a genuine large portion of fans and at the same time using genocides as interchangeable seems a bit ehhh.

It always depends on execution of course and maybe I'm completely wrong in my understanding of it all, but it's just a topic best left as is imo.

On the other hand, only using the Holocaust as THE example of genocide lessons other examples of genocide and ethnic cleansing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"