The Official Moon Knight Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
And now I wish I had MK in one of the Hype's RPGs again...

He's free in two games mate and I loved your interpretation the last time you were around. I have him in One Universe now and he's becoming one of my favorite characters to write.

Back on topic, I've been loving the Vengeance... run, despite the similarities to -THAT- DC character. Still, I preferred the deranged Marc in the '05 run than the current Jake.

Anybody know where these are from? I'm pretty sure it was during Planet Hulk but I don't know the exact issue number.

886069hulk8005aj2super.jpg

886068hulk8007ze0super.jpg

Let's try this again.

That is from a story in the recent Hulk series, I believe issues 7-9 where the story was split between the 2 Hulks. One was of Bruce and Moon Knight, Ms. Marvel and the Sentry taking on some Wendigos swarming Las Vegas. Red Hulk's half of the book had him facing off with the Lady Liberators (I believe).

Damn the art is pretty good.Should I track it down?

Story was meh. Art Adams art was the only real good thing about it.

I just have this thing that I need every MK appearance ever.

Let's try this again.

That is from a story in the recent Hulk series, I believe issues 7-9 where the story was split between the 2 Hulks. One was of Bruce and Moon Knight, Ms. Marvel and the Sentry taking on some Wendigos swarming Las Vegas. Red Hulk's half of the book had him facing off with the Lady Liberators (I believe).
Ah, thanks for clearing that up. I actually saw these scans through this youtube video. I'm going to try and get my hands on those issues.
I just have this thing that I need every MK appearance ever.
The same. :up:

For instance there's this girl who runs this DD blog and she's read all of DD's issues and appearances. Her posts have so much detail and thought put into them and I've never seen someone with that much knowledge of the character.

No prob always feels good helping a fellow Moon Knight fan.

Marvel has remained committed to Moon Knight. Including his last volume, he's remained in print about 4 years now, which is a lot longer than many other characters have. To be honest I gave up on the last volume of his around issue #19, because it got too bleak and dark even for me. The VENGEANCE OF THE MOON KNIGHT volume, though, has been a step up. Moonie's trying to be a hero even though he is tempted, and still has his issues. That and the artwork is usually very good.

Moon Knight has used armor in the past, so I don't mind him using Omega Red's knock-off Russian Adamantium now. It allows him to survive more stuff. Cynics will say he is still too close to being Batman, but I suppose I don't mind it as much because he does have genuine supernatural origins, and abilities. He's closer to a pulp hero than Batman has become.

I don't think his placement on SECRET AVENGERS will help sales of his ongoing, which after about 6 issues are at 19k, which was where his last volume was when they canceled it. But it won't hurt. He's probably had it better lately than another 1970's hero I like, Iron Fist. Sure, IMMORTAL IRON FIST was awesome, but that only lasted 27 issues, and he's done little since. Still, I think now is the perfect time for Moon Knight to be on the Avengers again, now that he is "trying" to be more of a hero than a caped butcher. I look forward to seeing Brubaker handle him in his Avengers book.

VENGEANCE OF THE MOON KNIGHT seems to be relying on guest stars lately, first Deadpool and next Spider-Man, which is good or bad depending. His biggest dilemma is having too few enemies of his own that are still alive.

SHADOWLAND looks interesting. I wonder if it will be some exercise to "merge" a lot of Marvel's darker street heroes who struggle in sales, like Moon Knight and Ghost Rider do.

I'd like it if they started making new villains for MK to fight, because as Dread said most of the oldies are dead. But these team ups are getting on my nerves, so I hope it doesn't become "Moon Knight Brave and the Bold" - I want to see MK start developing some interesting plotlines of his own with himself and the supporting cast that isn't about him turning everyone he loves away.

I agree with Dread...MK has more in common with The Shadow than Batman. I am glad he is getting exposure but it would be better if he was played up as an urban myth....they can also tap into the story of a jewish hero doing the bidding of an egyptian god

I think Dread is spot on. (Good post :up:) And I too look forward to seeing the character under the helm of Brubaker. I also agree MK should be focused more on his own story rather than having him constantly teaming up with other heroes just to spike sales. I remember reading some other MK readers complaining about the same thing and how people only bought the last issue due to who was guest starring.

Still, I don't think that'll last long. Hurwitz mentioned in his latest interview that he'll be getting back to the darker aspect of Moon Knight coming this fall. And how MK will be playing a major role in an upcoming Marvel event. Most likely Shadowland.

I bought MK #8 even though #7 sold out and Marvel makes it freakin impossible to order their back issues.

Just Read #8 and loved it.The scene where Moon Knight finds out Deadpool can't die is awesome and we get a look at how frustrating it's been holding back for Moon Knight.Also I agree Moon Knight has never been like Batman.Completely different characters.

I don't mind MK teaming up with Spidey cause they have a long history together, but this Deadpool team up seemed forced - regardless of how well it turned out. But, I'll stop complaining about team ups now - especially because I'm really excited about Secret Avengers.

Well Deadpool and Moon Knight didn't team up at all.They fought twice with Moon Knight completely destroying him the second time(Moon Sword=Win).I loved how it was highlighted their both off their rocket in different ways though.Also Deadpool provided a great way for Marc to reflect if he's really up to this whole Hero thing.

Well Deadpool and Moon Knight didn't team up at all.They fought twice with Moon Knight completely destroying him the second time(Moon Sword=Win).I loved how it was highlighted their both off their rocket in different ways though.Also Deadpool provided a great way for Marc to reflect if he's really up to this whole Hero thing.
"Team up" was a generic term I used to explain a guest star in an issue. ;)

Aw sorry about that.:oldrazz:But anyways I feel the Deadpool story did futher along the plot of the book and it didn't feel like Deadpool was just put in there for sales.

Enjoyed issue #8...It was a quick read to be honest. Was I the only one who thought the dialogue was lacking? I did like the fight, however.

No it was a short read.Which I hate when that happens.If Stan Lee proves anything is that you can jam a comic with dialogue.I still enjoyed it despite the flaw.

Repost of my review, with spoilers:

Dread said:
VENGEANCE OF THE MOON KNIGHT #8: This was the lone Marvel book I expected to buy, as it was on my list. This is the second part of a two issue story which guest-stars Deadpool. The next arc will guest star Spider-Man, and I suppose I could criticize that a book which seems to now require guest stars is a book on it's last legs. Sales for it are at 19k an issue, which was where MOON KNIGHT was last year when Marvel decided it needed a relaunch. While this volume will see an issue #10, I doubt it will last beyond issue #12, unless Marvel seriously expects SECRET AVENGERS to boost Moon Knight's recognition and popularity enough. I would much rather see Greg Hurwitz use whatever issues he has left to address Moon Knight's character and problems more directly; the first of all is his absolute lack of a rogue's gallery. Bushman is hardly the best villain, but he literally had to be resurrected because Specter has no one else who qualifies as an arch nemesis, or could step into the role. That is a problem. You also haven't seen many of Specter's supporting cast beyond his butler Samuels in these last two issues, which won't counter those "he's a rip of Batman" criticisms. I wouldn't be surprised if Hurwitz's editor told him he could do whatever he wanted, so long as his next/last few issues had guest characters in them.

To be fair, though, Hurwitz does a solid job of trying to tell a story that tests Moon Knight's new found sense of morality while obliging the mandate to have Deadpool in yet another book. Tan Haut, who did a bit of the art on GHOST RIDER, is aboard for these issues, and while I wasn't always thrilled with his stuff on GHOST RIDER, he's actually pretty good here. I also like how Hurwitz manages to keep Deadpool as funny as you would expect, without forgetting the fact that he is supposed to also be a dangerous mercenary for hire, as too many writers do (at times Deadpool is written like The Tick, only with guns).
Moon Knight is trying to prevent an old man dying of cancer from being killed by Deadpool; the twist is the cancer patient is a violent mobster who's always escaped justice, and whose goons are holding a child hostage. Deadpool has been hired by a victim of the mobster's "house-clearing" tendancies, out to avenge her family. Moon Knight is trying to be more "heroic", deny his violent impulses and his urges to kill every crook he meets, like the Punisher does. In this sense Specter walks that tight rope between Spider-Man (who never kills) and Punisher (who always kills). Apparently, killing people is like Durrio's Chips; you can't stop with just one, so best not to even try.

Moon Knight saves the kid this issue, and while he doesn't kill the goons, he is more violent than he has to be (smashing one through a table, face first, even after he has surrendered). He has another rematch against Deadpool at an amusement part (specifically a house of mirrors, ENTER THE DRAGON style), only this time Deadpool is seemingly prepared for him. When Moonie finds out that Deadpool regenerates and "can't die", though, it becomes a hilarious moment of dark humor. And that is why the Hurwitz run here has been better than the last. While he can still tell a dark or mature story, he doesn't let the tone get too stifling, and will always have some sort of laugh or comedy in there somewhere to relieve pressure. In the end, Deadpool's client takes the job into her own hands, and either Moon Knight arrived at the hospital too late to stop her, or chose to allow her to succeed, or hesitated, and then it was too late. That all said, I must say Moon Knight has preached more about the virtues of not killing criminals than Spider-Man has while fighting alongside Wolverine in FOUR YEARS.

I enjoyed this two issue tale, but part of me feels that Moon Knight has always had the dilemma of often having many 1-2 issue stories that are good surrounded by longer arcs that don't address some of his main problems. His supporting cast needs to be maintained and more essential & interactive, and he needs more villains. New and distinct ones. Whether that means trying to dust off some of his surviving corny ones (like "Conqueror Lord") or making up new ones (a tough feat, as new villains are given a worse welcome than new heroes by fans and retailers), I don't know, but it needs to happen, otherwise Moon Knight will continue to always been this quirky pulp hero who fights other heroes' enemies or stumbles onto their adventures. Despite all that, Hurwitz has done a bit to salvage Moon Knight from the last volume, making him nutty enough to be unique while sane enough to be an Avenger, and that's a step in the right direction. I just tire of baby steps when adult steps are possible for addressing a franchise's ills.

To continue on my point, I tried looking around for some of Moon Knight's enemies, and even many of the ones who are dead are bizarre. I do think something could be done with Stained Glass Scarlet, who I am not sure has even been seen in 15 years. She was basically an actress turned nun turned crossbow-carrying vigilante. Unlike Moon Knight, she always believed in icing villains, and I think now with Marc, or "Jake" trying to be a more proper hero and stifle his impulses (as well as Khonshu's urges), she could be an interesting foil, or even supporting character.

Aside for her, Moon Knight's enemies are really slim picking. A lot of the villains he faced in the 70's and 80's are either dead, Committee Freak-jobs, or both. And having Moon Knight have a lot of guest stars in his book is nothing new, either. Which is why I made a point in saying it would be nice if some of these fundamental issues were patched over. All he needs is that one, defining run. It worked for Iron Fist, after all.

Maybe some of the other gods have their own "mortal avatars" along the Egyptian pantheon? Other mystically enhanced champions to meet or fight? After all, Seth was often an enemy of Khonshu, and he hasn't been seen in a while.

There was one villain named Dr. Friday, who came around for a Brother Voodoo team up, who supposedly had mystical abilities but could make people into "zombies" with a formula. Could be interesting nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"