The Official "Ohhhmerrgerrd Panic" Thread

I'm really not panicked at all.

My emotional connection to this movie was not all that high. Would I have seen it? Yes. Do I still want to see it? Pretty much. But am I worried? Honestly not.

To me, if Whedon, Downey, Evans, or Hemsworth were to suddenly have leave then I'd be worried or panicked.

To me, Ant-Man was never a big part of this puzzle. And I was less enamored with a take focused on Scott Lang while Hank Pym is an older actor, so Scott Lang is the main hero instead.

I love Edgar Wright and his films, but I was never completely sold on this version or vision of Ant-Man.

I'm really far more invested in and excited about Guardians of the Galaxy right now.

Last edited:
Wright was fired. panic isn't the right word. i'm angry and disappointed. the lack of news was frustrating enough. now i've wasted a lot of time being hopeful about something they had no faith in; for who knows how long. on some of the news sites, they are speculating that there have been problems behind the scenes for maybe 2 years. Wright leaving isn't a deal breaker. but this was his creative vision. so will there be any creativity or vision left in this?

Well if they are still using his script, obviously some of his vision is still there. I think we all know it's time to get Brett Ratner on the phone.

Brett-Ratner.jpeg

Yes, Ratner is the Tom Stoppard of comic book dialogue. I can hear it now: in the final confrontation with Klaw, Klaw exclaims, "You cannot stop me! I am the KLAW, B***H!"

I'm panicking. Really need some super good news with this film plz.

I wouldn't say I'm "panicking" but I'm very disappointed and have little hope in this film. Wright was the main reason I was looking forward to this... and now he's gone. Beyond that, him leaving the film suggests there are some major problems behind the scenes.

Well if they are still using his script, obviously some of his vision is still there. I think we all know it's time to get Brett Ratner on the phone.

Why, are we ordering pizza?

Hercules is still in post-production, Ratner is a media mogul now and his salary would be huge... No, it won't be Ratner.

I'm sort of happy that Marvel has cut ties with Wright. Because they wanted to keep him happy Wasp wasn't in Avengers. Because they wanted to keep him happy Ant-Man isn't involved in Avengers 2.

Let's be honest their is ZERO anticipation for this film. Now if you are excited about this movie it was ONLY because of the director. If the rumors of delays was true I'm glad that he's gone.

Wright gave us a 2 second teaser last SDCC. Marvel probably wanted a big trailer for this year's SDCC. Is it weird we have NO info about this film? Who's the villains? Marvel wanted to push Ant-Man like a serious franchise, but it wasn't a priority to Wright. Now that he has a actual deadline he isn't producing.

Everyone upset about Wright's departure wasn't interested about this film because of the character it was because of the director. That's the main problem to me.

I'm sort of happy that Marvel has cut ties with Wright. Because they wanted to keep him happy Wasp wasn't in Avengers. Because they wanted to keep him happy Ant-Man isn't involved in Avengers 2.

Let's be honest their is ZERO anticipation for this film. Now if you are excited about this movie it was ONLY because of the director. If the rumors of delays was true I'm glad that he's gone.

Wright gave us a 2 second teaser last SDCC. Marvel probably wanted a big trailer for this year's SDCC. Is it weird we have NO info about this film? Who's the villains? Marvel wanted to push Ant-Man like a serious franchise, but it wasn't a priority to Wright. Now that he has a actual deadline he isn't producing.

Everyone upset about Wright's departure wasn't interested about this film because of the character it was because of the director. That's the main problem to me.
That's my biggest problem as well. You should be slightly more invested into the characters on the screen, not just there to see whatever crazy things a singular director is known for.

Well not a lot of people were invested in Ant-Man as a character in the first place. Because he's..Ant-Man. But they had a dude who could make it all work in the public's eye. Like how, and if, Guradians of the Galaxy worked, we should kiss James Gunn's feet.

Let's be honest their is ZERO anticipation for this film. Now if you are excited about this movie it was ONLY because of the director.

honest would be realizing how stupid it is to make blanket statements like that. capitalizing zero doesn't make it any more true.

honest would be realizing how stupid it is to make blanket statements like that. capitalizing zero doesn't make it any more true.

I can understand you are an Ant-Man fan, but besides the director we know not much about this film. I would see an Ant-Man film because it's a Marvel Studios' project.

I still see no one excited about the character just the director.

I can understand you are an Ant-Man fan, but besides the director we know not much about this film. I would see an Ant-Man film because it's a Marvel Studios' project.

I still see no one excited about the character just the director.

I'm more excited for Wasp than I am for Ant-Man.

That's my biggest problem as well. You should be slightly more invested into the characters on the screen, not just there to see whatever crazy things a singular director is known for.

A great director can be the difference between Sam Raimi and Marc Webb or Bryan Singer/Matthew Vaughn and Brett Ratner. Only Christopher Nolan could make The Dark Knight the way that it was so visionary.

Edgar Wright has proven to me he is better than those directors I just named in the good column (save for Nolan).

Now that Ant-Man will probably go to a TV director scrambling to use Wright's already set cast and aesthetic with Marvel's new approved script promises...well not a whole lot to me. It is a shame.

Honestly, Marvel should cancel this now, push their second 2015 film back to the winter and give us Captain Marvel, Blade or Black Panther instead of choosing to flop with a film that people can't get interested in.

And I was less enamored with a take focused on Scott Lang while Hank Pym is an older actor, so Scott Lang is the main hero instead.

If I were running Marvel, this concept would have never gotten off the ground to begin with. Old man Hank Pym is a concept that is too awful for words. Plus, there's really not one Edgar Wright film that I feel is good. (Maybe if I were more British?) I would have kicked him to the curb right after our first meeting.

I'm to panicked. I'm just sad.

Jesus, I asked Wright about this movie at a Q&A panel for Hot Fuzz eight years ago. I practically grew up with his movie's pre-production. :csad:

I'm to panicked. I'm just sad.

Jesus, I asked Wright about this movie at a Q&A panel for Hot Fuzz eight years ago. I practically grew up with his movie's pre-production. :csad:
yeah, it really is a pity .

It's a shame. However, remember that Thor 2 had directorial problems, and it turned out better for the last-minute change.

It's a shame. However, remember that Thor 2 had directorial problems, and it turned out better for the last-minute change.
Alan Taylor was on that close to a year before production, though. But then Marvel took it away from him during post and it shows.

Ant-Man is in pre-prod. Sets being built. Cast finalized. This is not good.

Last edited:
Honestly, Marvel should cancel this now, push their second 2015 film back to the winter and give us Captain Marvel, Blade or Black Panther instead of choosing to flop with a film that people can't get interested in.

If you were a major studio would you flush $30-40 M down the toilet? Cause that's probably what they've spent in pre-production.

If you were a major studio would you flush $30-40 M down the toilet? Cause that's probably what they've spent in pre-production.

If there were last second rewrites, then the sets that are being built clearly aren't being used. I'd take the $30-40 million loss now than lose $100 million at the box office on a box office flop. I wouldn't totally cancel the property for good, I'd just try to shelve it. I'd also save the sets for other films, or for whenever Ant-Man gets off the ground but preferably for the Netflix shows.

Then I'd rewrite the whole script since the new one is horrible and Wright's script was too standalone, squandered a future with Pym and came across as In Name Only. I'd put Pym in the lead, recast Douglass with Neil Patrick Harris, find another role for Douglass since he is under contract and he probably cost a lot of money to sign, then I'd use Paul Rudd as Scott Lang in the sequel once the property is established since the current plan is too convoluted to launch a franchise with.

I was never pumped for this film and even though I'm even more bummed now, I hope that this will give Marvel a chance to restart from scratch and make the most of a poor situation. If anything, this means a chance at a new property like Captain Marvel which Marvel does have a script for already which can come late in 2015 for the holidays since the current release date still overlaps with Avengers and they'll both be in theaters at the same time. The last time Marvel did that, Hulk didn't earn as much as it could have since Iron Man was still playing.

Ant-Man would come in 2016 or 2017 as the third film that year since it's already in production but it'll need a delay.

Quite frankly, what this means is more revenue within the next few years, a third new franchise coming along in Phase 3 alongside Ant-Man and Doctor Strange, Marvel's first female-led film, better production values on TV and with pretty much a full refund on any cash spent so far within the near future, aside from signing Rudd which will play out in the long term during Phase 4.

Plus, my plan would split Ant-Man into two films with Pym also being an Avenger which contradicts the stand-alone nature of Wright's vision. If anything, this setback can lead to future profit from Marvel but they need to realize that a character who the general audience doesn't care about since he hasn't had an ongoing series since 1965 is a MASSIVE risk and having a great director was the main selling point. Hank Pym's last shot at an ongoing was canceled before it ever hit shelves because next to nobody was willing to pay for a subscription in advance and comic shops were hesitant to order it. The most success that Marvel has had with the IP were making him the lead in an Avengers book first with Mighty Avengers and then later with Avengers AI.

Taking the less popular Ant-Man and making him the main character was an even bigger risk considering that Scott Lang is a C-List hero who unlike Pym has never had his own ongoing series. Like Pym is a gamble due to his B-list status but C-listers in general don't get their own movies. Moreover, Scott Lang's most interesting arcs were as part of a love triangle with Luke Cage over Jessica Jones and losing which would fall under the TV properties, his daughter becoming a hero and then dying which would be a Young Avengers or Avengers Academy movie/TV show and his being a member of the Fantastic Four as of late. If Hank Pym is a tough sell, then Scott Lang is a serious longshot and without an A-list director attached, it's going to be hard to find an audience.

[YT]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMykYSQaG_c[/YT]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"