Playstation The Official Playstation 5 Thread

Upgrade to more space is a big worry. The system is only 825 GB and after OS system and such that means you are only going to get like 700 or something that is nothing now days. Going to have to upgrade space pretty fast and from my understanding you can only use PCIe 4.0 SSD and only some of them that are not even out yet, and the ones that are like the closest to what you need right now cost a lot. I was looking and like 4.0 PcIe cost like $200 for like 1 TB, and like $400 for a 2TB. That is way to costly and i get that prices are going down but still.
I was hoping for bigger hard drives this gen from everyone, but as they made the jump to SSD that was pretty much off table. Obviously SSDs bring huge advantages but space is going to be at even more of a premium than last gen.

That's exactly it. I don't spend days on end playing retro games or listening to every last song in my collection or every last film. I just like having my whole collection readily accessible so I have the luxury of on the spur of the moment playing a round from Tekken 1, 2, 3 etc or listening to a song I won't listen to again for 5 years or a film I might never watch again. It is adding significant value without being used all that much.
and it's nice to have one machine that can play as much old media as possible, even if it isn't something you use too often.

but here, we're not even talking about old games from 2-4 gens back. but games from the most recent gen (PS4).

Your Rainbow Six Siege PS4/Xbox One discs will work on PS5 and Xbox Series X - VG247

Rainbow Six Siege is the first game to confirm disc forward compatibility on PS5 and Xbox Series X.

Rainbow Six Siege was one of the first live service games to pledge support for PS5 and Xbox Series X.

After previously confirming that players will be able to join each other across console generations, Ubisoft has now clarified that even disc versions can come forward. Siege creative director, Leroy Athanassoff, confirmed that your existing PS4 and Xbox One Siege discs will work on PS5 and Xbox Series X. When you do that, you’ll be able to download and play the game on the new consoles.

“The only thing we are communicating right now is the fact that we are supporting cross-generation matchmaking,” Athanassoff said.

“For example, PS5 players can play with PS4 players, and Xbox Series X players can play with Xbox One players. The game will be backwards compatible, meaning that you can take your disc of Rainbow Six Siege on PS4 and put it in your PS5, or take your Xbox One disc and put it in your Xbox Series X.”

I suspect a lot if not the bulk of the 'Top 100 current PS4 games by play time have been tested as PS5 compatible' are going to be online games.

PlayStation.Blog - Unveiling New Details of PlayStation 5: Hardware Technical Specs [UPDATED]

UPDATE: Hideaki Nishino, Senior Vice President, Platform Planning & Management: A quick update on backward compatibility – With all of the amazing games in PS4’s catalog, we’ve devoted significant efforts to enable our fans to play their favorites on PS5. We believe that the overwhelming majority of the 4,000+ PS4 titles will be playable on PS5.

We’re expecting backward compatible titles will run at a boosted frequency on PS5 so that they can benefit from higher or more stable frame rates and potentially higher resolutions. We’re currently evaluating games on a title-by-title basis to spot any issues that need adjustment from the original software developers.

In his presentation, Mark Cerny provided a snapshot into the Top 100 most-played PS4 titles, demonstrating how well our backward compatibility efforts are going. We have already tested hundreds of titles and are preparing to test thousands more as we move toward launch. We will provide updates on backward compatibility, along with much more PS5 news, in the months ahead. Stay tuned!

I'm still wary - He still didn't say will be playable 'at launch' or when later but it's better than next to nothing. It could have said 98%+ of PS4 titles will be playable at launch.

That is much clearer from Xbox.

previous Sony blog post said:
Lastly, we’re excited to confirm that the backwards compatibility features are working well. We recently took a look at the top 100 PS4 titles as ranked by play time, and we’re expecting almost all of them to be playable at launch on PS5. With more than 4000 games published on PS4, we will continue the testing process and expand backwards compatibility coverage over time.

Last edited:
PlayStation.Blog - Unveiling New Details of PlayStation 5: Hardware Technical Specs [UPDATED]

I'm still wary - He still didn't say will be playable 'at launch' or when later but it's better than next to nothing. It could have said 98%+ of PS4 titles will be playable at launch.

yeah, the response from Xbox is clearer and more definitive.

having all or most PS4 titles BC at launch is very different from having all or most games BC eventually, over time.

At least this is more reassuring from Sony, but they need to be clearer in their messaging.

Exactly what I expected regarding PS4. Panic was unnecessary. And why even care if it's 98% of back catalog or 73%? They're going through all or nearly all of them to ensure they work. Most popular titles will be available at launch. Some of less popular will be added a bit later. It's obvious they want to try to add performance boost to as many titles as possible, and it requires efforts from devs as well. So it will take some time.

What was in that tweet?

the panic and confusion was due in part to Sony's own botched messaging. it also shows that the hour long Cerny presentation, which was meant for developers, probably wasn't the best way to 1st reveal info to the general public.

and the fact that Sony did not also have a separate, more consumer-focused marketing package ready to go that concisely highlighted the key specs and features (including BC) suggests to me that they were unprepared and decided to release the Cerny talk to the public as a response to MS.

MS has been strategically revealing and releasing info about Series X over several months now. and each time, the messaging has been carefully crafted towards the end consumer.

Exactly what I expected regarding PS4. Panic was unnecessary. And why even care if it's 98% of back catalog or 73%? They're going through all or nearly all of them to ensure they work. Most popular titles will be available at launch. Some of less popular will be added a bit later. It's obvious they want to try to add performance boost to as many titles as possible, and it requires efforts from devs as well. So it will take some time.

What was in that tweet?
the # of BC games available at launch matters if one is trying to determine if or when they can trade in their old console for the new one.

that trade in, besides freeing up space in your media area, also helps to bring the cost down of the expensive new system. especially as retailers often run trade in specials and bonuses around the launch of new consoles.

if the new console can play most or all prior gen games at launch, then that makes the decision to trade in easier. however, if only some games are BC at launch, then you are likely to hold on to the older console longer if you still want to play those games that aren't BC yet.

that's why that distinction is key, imo.

There are a few more titles that come out before the launch of PS5. FF7, Last of Us 2, that samurai game... By the time these games are out, Sony will publish a lot more information about the console. So it's still too early to bother with PS4 sale and lacking BC of PS5. Unless you don't care about these games and considered to get rid of PS4 asap.

Last edited:
I trust that LoU2 and Ghost of Tsushima will have good compatibility

Personally I'm waiting for enhanced editions like TLoU Remastered, but if that doesn't happen I'll still wait since I don't have a Pro and I'd like to have the improvements available on PS5.

What was in that tweet?

Question: “When you say all games are backwards compatible for the Xbox Series X does that mean every Xbox game ever made or just the ones that are currently backwards compatible?”
Xbox (Twitter): "All games that are currently Backwards Compatible, yes. Plus all Xbox One games." (March 19, 2020 - deleted tweet)

new tweet:

Question: “When you say all games are backwards compatible for the Xbox Series X does that mean every Xbox game ever made or just the ones that are currently backwards compatible?”
Xbox (Twitter): "All games that are currently Backwards Compatible, yes. Plus all Xbox One games." (March 19, 2020 - deleted tweet)

new tweet:

yeah, I just saw that. That is a walk-back from the original tweet.

both companies need to shore up their messaging on BC with the right wording. using the wrong words and phrasing causes confusion.

Still, it seems MS is farther along with their BC process than Sony. at least MS is saying "thousands" of Xbox games at launch. that is more definitive than what Sony is saying so far.

Plus, given their past statements on BC and spanning generations, I have more faith in MS when it comes to BC. I expect most, if not all, Xbox one games, plus current BC 360 and OG Xbox games, to be playable at Series X launch, or shortly thereafter. Taking everything they have said in context leads me to that reasonable expectation.

Sony could still get most, if not all, PS4 titles BC by launch. but I'm less certain with them, since they haven't really given us much info anyways. And, they are only talking about one generation of BC, whereas the Series X is getting 3 gens.

But still, both companies need to be clearer on this issue and not have shifting responses. Someone needs to ask Phil Spencer to clarify this once and for all. and the same needs to be asked of someone at Sony.

Last edited:
Xbox isn't transparent either.
One supported only 40 games from the original Xbox, unlike 360, that supported almost half (still far from all or even majority of the original Xbox catalog).
They're saying Series X will support thousands of games. Well, I'm pretty sure majority of it will be from One.

But if I want to play something like Dead or Alive Ultimate, Xtreme Beach Volleyball or Kingdom Under Fire: Heroes - no luck for me.

As said above, both companies aren't transparent about BC. For now we only know that all gens will be supported, but what games or even what percentage of the catalog...

Xbox isn't transparent either.
One supported only 40 games from the original Xbox, unlike 360, that supported almost half (still far from all or even majority of the original Xbox catalog).
They're saying Series X will support thousands of games. Well, I'm pretty sure majority of it will be from One.

But if I want to play something like Dead or Alive Ultimate, Xtreme Beach Volleyball or Kingdom Under Fire: Heroes - no luck for me.

As said above, both companies aren't transparent about BC. For now we only know that all gens will be supported, but what games or even what percentage of the catalog...
not true.

Xbox has never promised full BC with 360 and OG Xbox games, as far as I know. They've always said it's a case-by-case basis to get those games BC on the Xbox One.

For the Series X, they've never said it will be BC with all Xbox games, from all gens, ever. They've always given the impression that the goal is for Series X to work with most Xbox One games (minus Kinect games), and the 360 and OG Xbox games currently BC on the Xbox One.

There are still some 360 and OG titles I want BC, so I hope they resume the BC program once Series X launches, and they can move forward towards nearly full BC with their entire catalog of games.

But, as far as I know, they've never promised full BC with every Xbox game ever.

not true.

Xbox has never promised full BC with 360 and OG Xbox games, as far as I know. They've always said it's a case-by-case basis to get those games BC on the Xbox One.
Not true. They bragged with BC with all generations of Xbox. This is the quote from their December presentation:
One Console, Four Generations of Gaming

One of the things we’re most proud of with Xbox Series X is the promise we’re delivering to our fans who have and continue to invest with Xbox. Thanks to backward compatibility, you can expect your gaming legacy, thousands of your favorite games across four generations of gaming, all your Xbox One gaming accessories, and industry-leading services like Xbox Game Pass to be available when you power on your Xbox Series X in Holiday 2020.
When it truth it's mostly One, the stuff that was supported by One and fraction of OG Xbox. Vague description, that makes it look much better than it really is.

Not true. They bragged with BC with all generations of Xbox. This is the quote from their December presentation:
When it truth it's mostly One, the stuff that was supported by One and fraction of OG Xbox. Vague description, that makes it look much better than it really is.
that quote says it supports BC across all generations, which is true. it never says BC will ALL Xbox games from all generations. It never says, play every Xbox game ever made on the Series X when it launches.

Here are the most recent quotes from their Series X page.

"Four generations of gaming: Our commitment to compatibility means existing Xbox One games, including backward-compatible Xbox 360 and original Xbox games, look and play better than ever before. Your favorite games, including titles in Xbox Game Pass, benefit from steadier framerates, faster load times and improved resolution and visual fidelity – all with no developer work required. Your Xbox One gaming accessories also come forward with you."

"Through the revolutionary new Xbox Velocity Architecture, thousands of games on Xbox One, including Xbox 360 and original Xbox Games, will experience improvements in performance, including improved boot and load times, more stable frame rates, higher resolutions and improved quality on Xbox Series X"

Again, it never says BC with every single Xbox game from all generations. They've never promised that.

Now, it also doesn't say Series X supports all Xbox One games (minus Kinect games) at launch. Just "thousands" of Xbox One games. Therein lies the confusion, and that's the part I want clarified definitively, one way or another. Is the goal to try to get all X1 games (minus Kinect games), including all current BC 360 and OG Xbox titles, playable on the Series X? That's what I want to know.

For a moment, based on that initial twitter reply, I thought they gave a definitive answer when they said, point blank, all Xbox One games, including current 360 and OG Xbox BC titles. But then they walked that back with the corrected statement.

So, I agree, there still is an air of confusion re BC for both companies. And both need to clarify.

Still, though, what MS has said about BC on the Series X is way ahead what Sony has said so far. MS is saying "thousands" of games will be BC at launch, across 3 prior gens. Not all games, but thousands. And that covers multiple gens.

Sony initially gave the impression that only the top 100 most played/popular PS4 games would be BC at launch. They then corrected that by saying they are "testing thousands" of PS4 games over the coming months. And that the "majority" of the 4,000 PS4 will be BC. However, they haven't specifically said if that means most PS4 games will be BC at launch or if that means it will happen over time. And, this is only for one gen of games, the PS4. So far, they have given no indication of BC with PS1-PS3 gen.

So, as it stands now, MS is more definitive in their BC plans, and they are supporting multiple gens, compared to Sony.

But, both companies could stand to make clearer statements re BC and not have shifting messages. They need to be clear, at launch, exactly how many games will be BC on their consoles and when most of the current gen games (X1 and PS4) will be BC.

I suspect, in the end, the majority of current gen games (both X1 and PS4) will be BC on their respective new consoles. The question is, when exactly will that happen? At launch, or over time?

And beyond that, will Sony add BC support for PS1-PS3 games, and will MS continue to add 360 and OG Xbox games to the BC list.

Last edited:
Sony didn't give the impression that only top 100 games will be available. They said they tested 100 most popular games for BC and and almost all of them worked. They needed to say that they're working on making the entire catalog available, or at least overwhelming majority. Like they did yesterday.

Sony didn't give the impression that only top 100 games will be available. They said they tested 100 most popular games for BC and and almost all of them worked. They needed to say that they're working on making the entire catalog available, or at least overwhelming majority. Like they did yesterday.
that was the initial impression they gave based on the Cerny talk. that only the top 100 games would be available at launch. Not that the top 100 PS4 games would be the only BC titles ever on PS5. But that only those top 100 PS4 games would be BC at launch.

that was the initial impression. which got people upset, confused, and worried.

they then corrected that with the updated blog post 2 days later.

They said they tested top 100 most popular titles (by play time) and almost all of them will be available at launch. That wasn't a good way to put it, but regardless some people interpreted it as only these titles will be available at launch. And because these people began to spread misinformation, Sony had to expand on their words, that not only these titles are being worked on, but the entire catalog of PS4.

Xbox on the other hand had to correct themselves from "currently backwards compatible" to "backwards compatible on Xbox One + Xbox One games". Obviously because 360 BC is different from One BC. One is way more limited regarding the original Xbox. And of course it's far below the initial statement of 4 generations of Xbox. It's utter BS, because by the same logic Sony could just say that all generation of PlayStation (as well as original Xbox, GameCube, Wii and Super Famicom) will be playable on PS5. Why? Because some of games from these platforms were ported to PS4.

So far it looks like Xbox Series X will have 40 titles from the original Xbox (out of 1000), 500+ titles from 360 (out of 1300) and the rest of "thousands" of games will be from One.

Last edited:
well, I still disagree with you on how you are characterizing MS' stance on BC.

but, at this point, we seem to be talking over each other and splitting hairs on words and semantics.

more will be revealed from both companies re BC as we get closer to launch. and then we shall see which console offers a more robust BC offering.

let's leave it that.

So I recently refound out that the PS3 can play all the old Playstation 1 games. I'll have to look into buying one of those so I can play the PS3 and PS1 games, since I already have a functioning PS2 and PS4.

Bit of a relief there. Just have to find a reasonably priced PS3.

With the end of next month being when we get Q1 sales i wonder if we will get a state of play talking about TLOU2 and GOT and or more ps5 news around then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"