Playstation The Official Playstation 5 Thread

I finally saw an actual fb page for scalpers in my country selling the ps5 and damn.... they have plenty of ps5s in their storage and they have pictures posted of them delivering the ps5 they scalped to their customer.

And the console is like 1,100 dollars and digital version is 1,000. It is crazy. This business practice should really be illegal. Its not like they imported the console overseas not to follow the standard retail price in the country.

And of course, people who mentioned that retailers/Sony should sell this in person, keep getting replies that "it shouldn't be sold in person because of covid" and I'm like do you see how many people are out there in the streets and public transport, not having a care in physically distancing yet we have to make a different case for selling a console in a physical store. And people are having parties every day. So yeah I'll never get this eXcuse/reasoning. Even in countries with lower covid cases, ps5 is an online only purchase.

Like i have to wonder if Sony and retailers are deliberately making this easy for scalpers.

If bots and resellers aren't ruining the pre orders...

Then buyers are starting chaos in retail stores...

PS5 Shortage Results in Chaos at Tokyo Store, Police Called

Yikes. 2 months later, and news articles regarding the PlayStation 5 keep getting wilder. All of these could have been prevented if sony didn't decide to have a console release that turned to be so limited and nightmare. But I guess they don't care as long as they have money in their pockets.

I got notified that everyone who preordered the console from this retailer before 30th of September will receive it within these few weeks. I was 10 days late from the cutoff point, so chances are I will get it around April. Which is kinda ok.

Like i have to wonder if Sony and retailers are deliberately making this easy for scalpers.

What would Sony have to gain from that? Some people might just cancel their preorders. Unless the scalpers work for Sony and kick back a percentage I can't imagine why they would be actively enabled. And it's a bit far fetched that retailers would allow it. Most likely it's just because this situation is unprecedented

What would Sony have to gain from that? Some people might just cancel their preorders. Unless the scalpers work for Sony and kick back a percentage I can't imagine why they would be actively enabled. And it's a bit far fetched that retailers would allow it. Most likely it's just because this situation is unprecedented
Its because as long as the console sells quickly, they will also earn their profit quickly. I don't think they care if this goes to the genuine gamers as there will people who will buy the console from a scalper anyway, the same scalpers that bought most of their stocks. And those people who buyfrom scalpers would probably buy the new ps5 games in the retail stores/ps store to make the most out of their eXpensive ps5.

I do think these scalpers debacle is also attracting people toget into reselling for a higher price and scalping business.

The onlygoodsolution I have seen so far from retail stores is they draw names and not every third party store does that. While Sony still haven't made a move against the scalpers. It is still "we will manufacture more" but no actual move to prevent scalpers from getting most of their stock.

Yes, from the record launch they end up matching the PS4's first quarter. Likely slowing down a bit due to the pandemic and much higher competition of the capacity of production companies but still a peak first quarter. Still that's unfortunately of course not even close to meet the insane demand.

I also saw this article talking about scalpers and the extent of their effect in the larger context of the supply and demand for the PS5.

Scalpers aren’t the main reason you can’t find a new console

Oh scalpers definitely aren't a big factor in finding a ps5..... :o

Surely you understand the difference between "main reason" and "big reason". The former is an objective statement based on the numbers at hand while your choice of words is subjective and not what the article talks about. If you believe the article is incorrect you can post numbers from some other source to show whether scalpers are the main reason the console is hard to get.

Sure, main and big. Does it matter? No need make the scalper situation light.

Sure, main and big. Does it matter? No need make the scalper situation light.

Yes, it matters a lot. Just because something is bad shouldn't mean that we should lose our capacity for nuance and rationality. It's like saying that robbers are the worst people on Earth because robbers suck, but most people realize that there are people that do even worse things. Pointing out the latter isn't making light of robbers, it's being rational.

Did the Sony recap 2020 thing and saw I put 68 hours on ps5 in 2020.

Yes, it matters a lot. Just because something is bad shouldn't mean that we should lose our capacity for nuance and rationality. It's like saying that robbers are the worst people on Earth because robbers suck, but most people realize that there are people that do even worse things. Pointing out the latter isn't making light of robbers, it's being rational.

You aren't going call out Sony for their shortcoming in this ps5 launch, so why do i bother continue commenting on your posts. Its never their fault especially you already got a ps5, so you can't relate to those who haven't seen a ps5 in person. I'm just going to put in your ignore from now. :D

Anyway...
Nintendo Has Almost Completely Pushed Sony Out of Japan

You aren't going call out Sony for their shortcoming in this ps5 launch, so why do i bother continue commenting on your posts. Its never their fault especially you already got a ps5, so you can't relate to those who haven't seen a ps5 in person. I'm just going to put in your ignore from now. :D

Anyway...
Nintendo Has Almost Completely Pushed Sony Out of Japan

Says the one that came up with the solution that Sony should have waited a couple of months and then refuses to acknowledge that it was what you suggested and just ignore things that are said in conversations you are in. Personal accountability should come before accusations toward others. Without the former there can never be any sort of constructive conversation.

My views on Sony's launch isn't based on whether I have a console because my arguments are consistently based on facts, not emotion. You, on the other hand, make up your own standards for the industry that are far above what anyone's ever been able to do and certainly sound like someone that doesn't want anyone else to have a console because you don't have one.

Weird conversation in here. The PS4 was also hard to get so how can anyone be surprised about this? I didn't get my PS4 until April the following year despite preordering it and I live in a place that got it right away, while several places had hardly even had it launch by the time I got mine. As expected I haven't gotten a PS5 yet either but I can hardly cry about that since I knew it's how launches go.

Weird conversation in here. The PS4 was also hard to get so how can anyone be surprised about this? I didn't get my PS4 until April the following year despite preordering it and I live in a place that got it right away, while several places had hardly even had it launch by the time I got mine. As expected I haven't gotten a PS5 yet either but I can hardly cry about that since I knew it's how launches go.
Its not a weird conversation. People wanted to buy the console at launch and they can't get the console because Sony failed to catch up to demand and the scalpers and bot got the advantage in pre ordering the console. The consoles out are out there online ready to be bought from scalpers by just paying $1,000. You can't even get this in a retail store like previous consoles. It also doesn't help that we are in a "pandemic" but of course Sony promised that there won't be shortages in this time which turned out to be false.

I could go on and on. This is definitely a bad launch even if you are used to elusive consoles during their launch year.

I wish you could say this to the people who were waiting for a ps5 since it was announced back in 2019. That they need to get over it and get used that consoles are hard to get in launch. The gaming community would be much more.peaceful I guess. Nevermind, the games I just bought that would have benefitted the ps5 and I don't have to wait for months or more than ayear just to play some next gen only games.

Its not a weird conversation. People wanted to buy the console at launch and they can't get the console because Sony failed to catch up to demand and the scalpers and bot got the advantage in pre ordering the console. The consoles out are out there online ready to be bought from scalpers by just paying $1,000. You can't even get this in a retail store like previous consoles. It also doesn't help that we are in a "pandemic" but of course Sony promised that there won't be shortages in this time which turned out to be false.

I could go on and on. This is definitely a bad launch even if you are used to elusive consoles during their launch year.

I wish you could say this to the people who were waiting for a ps5 since it was announced back in 2019. That they need to get over it and get used that consoles are hard to get in launch. The gaming community would be much more.peaceful I guess. Nevermind, the games I just bought that would have benefitted the ps5 and I don't have to wait for months or more than ayear just to play some next gen only games.

Yes, it's weird. The same thing happened as every other time and yet some people get surprised. And who cares if they can be gotten in a store. This seems like an extremely petty thing to talk about in the context of a pandemic where people get really sick and many working in health care are pushed to their limits to keep up.

Yes, it's bad to your weird expectations.

What are you talking about? I already said that I've been trying to get one myself, and that I tried to get the PS4 at launch as well, so in what way did you get the impression that I haven't been waiting for one since it was announced? Judging from your previous posts I've been trying to get early consoles longer than you. So I'm very obviously not just saying it to people that have been waiting, I'm saying it as someone that has been and still is waiting. I don't expect all of the gaming community to get it though since there are a lot of whiny babies there.

Yes, it's weird. The same thing happened as every other time and yet some people get surprised. And who cares if they can be gotten in a store. This seems like an extremely petty thing to talk about in the context of a pandemic where people get really sick and many working in health care are pushed to their limits to keep up.

Yes, it's bad to your weird expectations.

What are you talking about? I already said that I've been trying to get one myself, and that I tried to get the PS4 at launch as well, so in what way did you get the impression that I haven't been waiting for one since it was announced? Judging from your previous posts I've been trying to get early consoles longer than you. So I'm very obviously not just saying it to people that have been waiting, I'm saying it as someone that has been and still is waiting. I don't expect all of the gaming community to get it though since there are a lot of whiny babies there.
I already said before that I'll keep my eXpectations in check for ps6, given the disastrous launch of the ps5.

And it doesn't matter if you tried getting the previous consoles in their respective launches in the past. Sony should be improving their services. Really, you want people to eXpect everytime that consoles are hard to get during their launch period? For how long eXactly? a year? It sounds easy for you but people aren't all the same. I subscribed to a lot of gaming channels on YouTube, and all of them are reviewing and playing games in the ps5. Lots of ads from scalpers are appearing in my fb feed as well.

Now this won't be an issue if I don't care getting the ps5 now. I didn't get ps1/2/4 at launch, so I couldn't care less if they were hard to find during their launch period. You don't see me complaining how Series X is out of stock as well.

But just don't be surprised if people are who willing to pay 560 and been waiting for months to get it, can't get the console and they are eXtremely frustrated by it. Sony didn't market this thing to be a limited release for how many months now? Maybe Sony should improve their supply and marketing. "Ps4 was hard to get as well" is a lame eXcuse, you are only telling me that Sony a big company will not always keep up with the demand everytime they launch a new console. Yet people can now purchase games on the go, there's plenty of technology advances since 2013 but Sony can't improve shipping consoles/keeping up with the console demand after all these gaming generations? Next thing, you'd be saying wait til neXt year or 2023, if I mentioned there's a chip shortage happening right now.

You don't need to get it but people are allowed to be frustrated in things they can't get. Its been almost 3 months since it was released publicly. Its not like we are just waiting this to land in our lap for free.

Last edited:
I already said before that I'll keep my eXpectations in check for ps6, given the disastrous launch of the ps5.

And it doesn't matter if you tried getting the previous consoles in their respective launches in the past. Sony should be improving their services. Really, you want people to eXpect everytime that consoles are hard to get during their launch period? For how long eXactly? a year? It sounds easy for you but people aren't all the same. I subscribed to a lot of gaming channels on YouTube, and all of them are reviewing and playing games in the ps5. Lots of ads from scalpers are appearing in my fb feed as well.

Now this won't be an issue if I don't care getting the ps5 now. I didn't get ps1/2/4 at launch, so I couldn't care less if they were hard to find during their launch period. You don't see me complaining how Series X is out of stock as well.

But just don't be surprised if people are who willing to pay 560 and been waiting for months to get it, can't get the console and they are eXtremely frustrated by it. Sony didn't market this thing to be a limited release for how many months now? Maybe Sony should improve their supply and marketing. "Ps4 was hard to get as well" is a lame eXcuse, you are only telling me that Sony a big company will not always keep up with the demand everytime they launch a new console. Yet people can now purchase games on the go, there's plenty of technology advances since 2013 but Sony can't improve shipping consoles/keeping up with the console demand after all these gaming generations? Next thing, you'd be saying wait til neXt year or 2023, if I mentioned there's a chip shortage happening right now.

You don't need to get it but people are allowed to be frustrated in things they can't get. Its been almost 3 months since it was released publicly. Its not like we are just waiting this to land in our lap for free.

It's not what I want, it's what reality says. Just wishing for things that aren't realistic is childish and not behavior for an adult, let alone demanding it...

That you don't care that the previous Playstations were hard to get is the reason why you're whining now. Had you read up on the facts of reality you'd have reasonable expectations instead of your fantasy world and you'd handle it better.

Why don't you go tell Sony where all these manufacturers with unused capabilities are so they can make more then? You seem to know so much about the business so you're sure to know of big corporations that Sony, Microsoft, Nvidia, AMD, etc, are missing in their incompetence.

To be frustrated and to make ignorant comments are not synonymous. The latter is a product of someone not being able to handle the former.

Last edited:
It's not what I want, it's what reality says. Just wishing for things that aren't realistic is childish and not behavior for an adult, let alone demanding it...

That you don't care that the previous Playstations were hard to get is the reason why you're whining now. Had you read up on the facts of reality you'd have reasonable expectations instead of your fantasy world and you'd handle it better.

Why don't you go tell Sony where all these manufacturers with unused capabilities are so they can make more then? You seem to know so much about the business so you're sure to know of big corporations that Sony, Microsoft, Nvidia, AMD, etc, are missing in their incompetence.

To be frustrated and to make ignorant comments are not synonymous. The latter is a product of someone not being able to handle the former.
Oh well, then maybe Sony should advise people that cant get ps5 months after it was launched, that consoles are hard to get during launch period to avoid being called ignorant by people like you... who is posting childish comments now?

Again, ps4 being hard to get during launch isn't an eXcuse. Years ago, internet was slower but it is faster now because things were improved. So Sony shouldn't improve their services in catching up with the demand? This launch is much worse than ps4, if you didn't notice.

Also you don't need to bring up Microsoft, Nvidia,this is the PlayStation thread. And yes I would go to Sony if I could, nevermind I already posted a lot of comments regarding this issue in their social media. Maybe I should go talk to the ceo of Sony and manufacturers, perhaps that would make a change and as if thats my responsibility as a customer to talk to sony/manufacturers... what an insane comment.

Maybe you should be a spokesperson for Sony and lecture everyone to just wait (as if waiting for a year is so easy) because Sony simply can't keep up with the demand 7 years after the ps4.

Oh well, then maybe Sony should advise people that cant get ps5 months after it was launched, that consoles are hard to get during launch period to avoid being called ignorant by people like you... who is posting childish comments now?

Again, ps4 being hard to get during launch isn't an eXcuse. Years ago, internet was slower but it is faster now because things were improved. So Sony shouldn't improve their services in catching up with the demand? This launch is much worse than ps4, if you didn't notice.

Also you don't need to bring up Microsoft, Nvidia,this is the PlayStation thread. And yes I would go to Sony if I could, nevermind I already posted a lot of comments regarding this issue in their social media. Maybe I should go talk to the ceo of Sony and manufacturers, perhaps that would make a change and as if thats my responsibility as a customer to talk to sony/manufacturers... what an insane comment.

Maybe you should be a spokesperson for Sony and lecture everyone to just wait (as if waiting for a year is so easy) because Sony simply can't keep up with the demand 7 years after the ps4.

It was all over the tech news that there was unprecedented demand so that and the obvious teacher of history told the situation loud and clear in advance.

You should really get away from your childish defense stance of talking about excuses when people are just trying to show you how reality looks. Maybe that's why you're so uneducated on the subject. Sony doesn't manufacture the parts of the Playstations themselves, they have to order them from manufacturers and even among those demand is increasing faster than they can build larger manufacturing units. It's pretty obvious when you look at that Sony, Microsoft, Nvidia and AMD have had big releases recently. The one that succeded the best was Sony, while Nvidia and AMD had far fewer cards available. Then there's other products like phones that also eat up parts of the 7nm production. Finally, for the PS5, it of course has better components than the PS4 had, if we compare to their relative times.

Of course I need to bring them up. If you don't look at the entire context you're not going to learn anything, although at this point I'm starting to think you don't want to learn, you just want to whine about it. Your comments about you just telling them to change things up is the funniest thing I've heard in a long time. It's as if you don't think the companies are trying to make money.

Yet that doesn't line up according to people of this forum

Was the PS4 difficult to find at launch too? - PlayStation 4

Yeah it was hard... for you, not everybody else.

Haha, did you even read it before posting? Some quotes that say that it sold out:

"The only real difference is the lack of in-store supply"

"Yes, people couldnt find this sytem for months, some people couldnt find it for years."

"I remember I bought the Xbox one 3 months after it released and the gamestop I went to had no PS4's in stock"

"you could get into a store without pre order and get one on the launch week for ps4. after that it became quite rare for some time"

"I remember the ps4 wasn't readily available to buy in stores until Feb or March after release."

"I know PS4 sold out through the launch period"

The ones that said no said it due to walking in on day one to buy one in the store, which really just shows that the preorder system was different, which it was with many retailers. Someone said he had no issue getting a PS5 either, which is the case for plenty of people now but it doesn't mean that it's easy to get. Some just get lucky with timing or location.

But sure, go ahead and keep ranting if you want. You clearly don't want to learn anything so there's no point in talking with you.

I don't mind waiting a little bit, but I would at least like information about the future shipment. I think that's a reasonable ask

And personally, I never pre-ordered a console before which is why I'm surprised. I always thought pre-ordering was the sure way to get the product relatively early. At most I expected a month/month and a half of delay from launch date. Perhaps I was naive, I didn't wanna think the pandemic had such a big effect on this. In any case, I think we can agree that websites should get protection against scalpers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"