The Official "The TV Show wasn't all that" Hulk thread

I really think the newer people who heavily favor the show are people who could fast forward through stuff and just get to the Hulk stuf. For all the Bixby leg humping, I'm sure they cant remember one plot point.

They did a couple Hulk things right in this new flick. Abomi? Not so much.

Really? They must have done something right then I guess:cwink::woot:.

Yes..... just one.

smiley_rainbow_large.gif

Is there anyone out there that rates the first season of the 90s cartoon that have the travelling man theme wanting to rid himself of the hulk but failing at every turn, where bruce banner is at his most desperate?

I thought that was completely ace and nailed it pretty much

I was a huge Hulk comic fan when I saw the first preview for the TV show. I was so excited, I couldn't wait to see it. As a very young child I had no idea that that they would completly change the character for TV. I remember being so disappointed when I saw Hulk get shot and run away. That wasn't my Hulk. I eventually learned to like the TV show mostly because we didn't have cable back then, but I never thought of that show as being the Hulk. In my mind it was a guy named David who turned into a Hulk-Lite type creature, somewhere the real Hulk was screaming "Hulk SMASH!!!". A few years later Marvel published a comic that had Hulk going to Holywood to Smash the producers of the show because it made fun of him. He ended up runing into the Thing there and they had a nice little fight. Funny stuff.

I just found a description of that Hulk Mag that I remembered as a kid. The one where Hulk gets pissed about the Hulk TV show. Its from http://www.sleepinggiantcomics.com/wideawake.php?ID=63, I pasted it below.

The cover of this mini-extravaganza is chock full of excitement as we see the Thing and the Hulk locked in hand-to-hand combat on a Hollywood set as various film crew staffers try to evade the carnage. Alan Kupperberg is credited as the writer/artist and is aided by Chic Stone (inks) and Roger Stern (editor). The “Battle in Burbank” as it’s called opens with the Thing at home watching television. Specifically, he’s watching an episode of The Incredible Hulk tv show which, during the time of this story’s publication (cover date December 1978) was one of the higher-rated shows on the CBS network—airing Friday evenings along with The Dukes of Hazzard and Dallas if my aging mind recalls correctly). The Thing is quite upset that the Hulk is the subject of a tv series and he proceeds to destroy his brand new 25-inch color tv (getting it stuck on his “size 40 tootsie” in the process). Alarmed by the sound of Ben’s ruckus, the other members of the FF rush in, prepared for action. Ben quickly explains the situation and Reed proposes that Ben contact the show’s producer and petition for his own tv series. Ben rushes to take a midnight flight (he apparently knows the departing flight times for the major airlines at JFK and other nearby airports).

Meanwhile, in an apartment in Los Angeles, three men who were fired from the Hulk tv show for “try[ing] to sell show concepts back to the same studio we stole them from” (you figure it out) decide to kidnap actress Karen Page (a supporting cast member in the pages of Daredevil before she was killed off a few years later) who’s been offered $1 million to co-star on the Hulk tv show. These unemployed men (named Steve, Don, and Greg [as if it matters]) decide to kidnap Ms. Page, believing the studio will pay “a few hundred grand” for her release.

Elsewhere, a semi-naked Bruce Banner is running thru the streets of a small Nevada town (is there any other kind?) when he sees in the window of an appliance store the Hulk tv show (which is airing at that moment). Outraged that his life has been turned into a “soap opera” he transforms into his green-skinned alter ego (I wonder how Banner would have reacted had he seen the Saturday Night Live super-hero party sketch from that era in which the Hulk was played by the late John Belushi). The Hulk watches the show in disgust and asks “Who is making fun of the Hulk this way?” to which the tv replies “…Filmed at Miracle studios in Hollywood!” The Hulk smashes the window of the appliance store and the tvs within before leaping away toward—you guessed it—Hollywood, California.

The next day the Thing arrives at Miracle Studios. After destroying a guard station, he runs into a talking duck who may or may not be Marvel’s Howard the Duck (he is using the name “Uncle Waddles,” though I’m guessing it must be Howard unless Hollywood is overrun with English-speaking water fowl). Eventually the Thing meets Mr. Joe Jusko, a balding, tv producer wearing a white suit (which I assume was at one time gray or blue and has become stained top to bottom with cocaine [remember, it’s 1978]), pink shirt with wide lapels (again, 1978), John Lennonesque eyeglasses (tinted blue, no less), a gold necklace, and is smoking a cigar. At that precise moment Karen Page arrives to sign her contracts (this seemingly unimportant detail will become drastically important in moments ahead—no, seriously).

Outside, the trounced guard is recovering, but as he does so he fails to notice the three stooges who sneak past him. Seconds later, the Hulk arrives. He has, amazingly, found not only Hollywood, but Miracle Studios. He smashes through a soundstage, disrupting the filming of a M*A*S*H* episode, to which Alan Alda replies, “He’s for real!” The ruckus is heard by Jusko and Grimm, while just outside Jusko’s office, Ms. Page is abducted by the three brainless wonders who have cleverly disguised themselves as phone-repair personnel. Back in Jusko’s office, two giant, emerald hands smash through the wall and as the Hulk sees Jusko and the Thing, he reasons that Ben is responsible for “…making the Hulk look dumb!” A four-page slugfest ensues, during which time the kidnappers abscond with both Page and Jusko. The Thing fights the Hulk while trying to catch up with the crew of kidnappers and kidnappees. Finally, all story participants end up on a Roman-like sound stage and as the Hulk smashes several of the giant faux pillars, they topple onto (say it with me) the kidnappers (well, they would have, had the Thing not held up most of the toppling prop). The kidnappers are presumably abducted as the security officers arrive. Jusko makes an impassioned speech to the Hulk that is priceless and must, therefore, be reproduced herewith verbatim:

“Hulk, Baby! I see what I’ve been doing wrong! When I’m through with the show, you’ll be bigger than Cheryl Tiegs!” (We see where her career went following Charlie’s Angels [though her posters do command big bucks on e-bay].)

The Hulk warns Jusko not to make him look stupid and promises he’ll be back otherwise (we assume the Hulk later watched the series and found it more to his liking since there are, to the best of my knowledge, no other stories featuring the Hulk and a guy named Joe Jusko at Miracle Studios (artist Joe Jusko did, however, paint at least one cover of the 1970s Hulk magazine…coincidence? You decide.)

To sum up: The Thing and Jusko decide to do business together. Jusko promises to send Ben a concept and does so the following week. I’ve spoiled enough of this story so I won’t tell you the exact ending. I will say Jusko’s concept involves a man named Bunker who refers to his co-star as an “orange meathead” (I swear to God I am not making this up).

This story held many lessons for its readers (both of us). We learned that kidnapping is wrong and that Hollywood is staffed by pretentious producers who wear loud clothes and use the word “baby” too often. We learned that even gamma-irradiated monsters are sensitive with regard to how they are portrayed on the idiot box called television. Mostly, we learned that not all Thing/Hulk team-ups are destined to be classics.

‘Nuff said!

The problem is that tv shows follow a formula. It's like Smallville with the "freak of the week" system.

They could've done Hulk differently, but you know that people were just waiting on Hulk at twenty-five and fifty past the hour.

If you developed some strong storylines with Banner, I'd bet people would complain about not having enough Hulk. Could you imagine if they went an episode or two without showing him?

People would walk away.

Three things about the Hulk TV show:

- The pilot is actually a pretty solid origin story, considering the limited resources of the time, and it was very serious and dramatic, it can be considered the first of that kind on superhero live-action versions. The show got more formulaic and cheesy after that, but it was never a self-parody in the way of the Adam West Batman show, which still was people´s reference to comics adaptations at the time.

- It was a TV show from the late seventies, early eighties, it was a dreary time for TV shows, you didn´t have anything remotely close to Twin Peaks or The Sopranos back then.

- For many many people, it was their introduction to Hulk, I didn´t miss an episode as a kid, it was the show that made me get interested in the comics.

We'll see if this works out, splitting the threads. I've seen this in other forums, and it didn't work. I'll let it play out.

Hey! it wasn't me it was..........................Art teacher. Yeah, it was him. He made me do it. Oh pleeeeeeeeeeeeeese oh might keeper of the Gigantic Electronic Eraser (aka Keeper of the GEE) Pleeeeeeeeese don't delete me. :oldrazz::woot:

We'll see if this works out, splitting the threads. I've seen this in other forums, and it didn't work. I'll let it play out.

Well, most of the hulk fans I know here can tell the difference in positive and negative themed threads. I dont have that many good things to say about the show, and didn't want that other thread overwhelmed in bitter back and forths.

This isn't the Dark Knight forum where a debate about the Joker wearing make-up needs 8 open threads.

The problem that sometimes springs up is that the "Haters"..."Lovers" like to stop in on the thread and attack the viewpoint they are against and troll it up. So sometimes it can create problems as well, I've seen it on several boards. Hopefully this works.

wE ARE ALL GOOD SPORTS, FOR THE MOST PART.

No Problem, it should never be that much to ask, and as much as I have my negatives about the show, I can respect the memories that some have for it.

I don't hate the show. I liked it at the time for what it was. I have the first season on DVD but can't really watch all of em. The pilot was good, after that is was, how do you guys say it, meh.

I don't hate the show. I liked it at the time for what it was. I have the first season on DVD but can't really watch all of em. The pilot was good, after that is was, how do you guys say it, meh.
I liked it for what it was for its time. The pilot was cool. the first change was exciting. It eventually wore thin and eventually got corny. It served its purpose which was bringing the Hulk to TV. It was something different.

i gotta say that when i was a kid, the tv show was memorable, well only the hulk bits. i clearly remember the transformations as a 3 yr old. but as i grew older and wather re-runs on pay tv, i realised this tv show was piss weak. the box sets have never been released in stores here in australia, but in 2003 they brought out the piolt and a few tv movies on dvd. i must say that yeah, the piolt was ok, but any thing else was BORING! and all the movies were crap. the cameos from dare devil and thor were pathetic. i never did understand why the hulk has to be shot in slow motion?? im hoping this time we will get the '82 and '97 animated shows released in full.

It was a Ken Johnson idea to shoot Superspeed in Slow-mo. He did the same crap on Bionic Woman and 6 Million Dollar man.

One thing i hated about the show were the completely mundane reasons why there was a hulk transformation in the first place, although other people perhaps thought this was a humanising trait of banner. Maybe because people could relate to things like that.

Transforming into the hulk because of a telephone call is a lil bit much for me though....

If you think a phone call is a bit much you see the other reasons he changed.

http://kennethjohnson.us/HulkOutList.html

As for the Hulk TV show, no other superhero TV series would've put up with what they did to the main character. Changing the name, vastly underpowering him, dropping ALL of the supporting characters and villains, and never letting the title character speak. Can you imagine the Superman, Batman or Spider-man TV shows doing that? Oh yeah, that's right we should be greatful to get anything so shut up and be happy. Sorry, not this Hulk-fan.

Is so tiring to read "it sucked because is not like the comics", like the comics are so perfect, rational and full of logic, without any stupidity or cheesiness factor right? I liked the TV show for what it was, a realistic, different version of the character, I don't think most people are interested in listening Hulk talking like a moron: Hulk Smash! Only a small minority wants that cheese (fanboys), most people don't care, is so obvious that if they had followed the comics, the show would've been a total failure, most people don't take comics seriously, that's why the TV show was different and it worked, it was more serious, the Hulk was relatable, not a cartoon character that can't be hurt by bullets or destroy anything with his hands. Fanboys have to be more open-minded and accept the fact that most people don't like or read comics, movies or series are not made to please fanboys, but general audiences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"