The official Xebel and other underwater cities

John-An

Wonder Fingers!
Reaction score
I think if Mera appears, Xebel is a must in Aquaman's mythos.
aquamanV8_22pg11.gif

With all the sunk boats and airplanes I think it will be a visual fest to see this city located on the bermuda triangle on livescreen

Which other cities you think are must for the Aquaman mythos?

I'd actually like to see multiple subcultures and settlements for the Atlanteans.

Momoa's poster, with it's Pacific Islander design for a traditionally Atlantic bound hero, and with its catch phrase of "Unite the Seven," gives me some hope for a disparate and scattered kingdom of Atlantis, one with cities and settlements throughout all seven seas, each hearkening a bit towards the surface world they are closest to, but still sharing a common language culture and ambiguous ethnicity. And I'd throw in a few more surface world friendly Atlanteans, along with a major civil war theme of the outlying and distant kingdoms against the centralized capital.

So, Xebel, with it's Bermuda Triangle location, would have a more Caribbean air and would be home to not only Mera, but also hybrid characters like Lorena, though she might be a candidate for being a hybrid with Hispanic ancestry as well.

Poseidonis, as the traditional capital, would be located in the Atlantic, and have a gilded age and imperial theme to it, with Orm and his father ruling there. This would also be the most advanced but stratified city in the kingdom, since it's held by a sorceress monarchy.

The Pacific colonies would share a strong connection to their Islander allies, with Arthur hailing from there, as well as sorcerously mutated beings, like Lagoon Boy and asking Shark.

I'd have an old Capitol in ruins located in the Mediterreanean, a frozen world ruled by the Dead King, and other such areas throughout.

Okay, Been thinking about this a little more, and here's some actual real world legends that could be incorporated somehow into Atlantean mythos:

Celtic legends of lost cities: Ys (Brittany), Lyonesse (Cornwall), Cantre'r Gwaelod (Wales)

Russian legend of a lost city: Kitezh

Arabic legends of a sinking and rising city: The vanishing isle from Sinbad.

I'm sure there's others as well, but imagine an Atlantis where there are people who actually have been "conquered" by the rise of the Sea and subjugated by the ruling Atlantean elites, or where some places have been early Atlantean experiements in transportation.

And here's a thought for how a sometimes expansive undersea empire could already have Black Manta and co. at full power:

Atlanteans could occasionally be running raids on surface world settlements and taking a seizing prisoners. At the same time, when submarines start appearing, the Atlanteasn analyze and start making their own versions, which thanks to sorcery and a species of scientists who can operate at the bottom of the ocean, do become more advanced. Eventually, a member of Atlantean royalty decides he needs a foreign bodyguard he can control.

Enter the Manta Guard; surface dwellers enslaved and made a kind of Janissary style military group, with their need for oxygen and resources tied into serving the king. And like the Janissaries, they eventually become much more powerful than mere slaves, while also providing a background for Black Manta's armor, ships, men, and view of the world as a "Conquer and rule or submit and slave" kind of place. Then all you need is Arthur to accidentally kill Manta's father to get a vengeance obsessed madman on as his enemy...but also someone who's association with Atlantis is strong enough he might have a half-breed son.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"