The Dark Knight Rises The one thing that bothers me about DKR.

ohmshalone

on the brink of sanity
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm sure this has been answered before, but I wanted to know:

How do you explain Bruce being stabbed at the end by Talia, including knife-twist, and he was still able to function afterwards?

In the movie Face/Off, we learnt that twisting the knife prevents the wound from closing.

This is the only real thing that bothers me about the trilogy. I'm a few years late in asking about it, but I don't know any website that explains it at all.

your thoughts?

I've heard of real life cases of people walking all the way to a hospital after being stabbed.

What did Batman do after he got stabbed? He sat in The Bat for the remainder of the fight. If he started fighting Bane or his men again, that would have been a real stretch.

I've heard of real life cases of people walking all the way to a hospital after being stabbed.

What did Batman do after he got stabbed? He sat in The Bat for the remainder of the fight. If he started fighting Bane or his men again, that would have been a real stretch.

It's not the stabbing so much as the knife-twist that bothers me.

You're right about just the stabbing part. A friend of mine was once shot multiples times in an attempted hijacking and then drove himself to the hospital.

How do you explain Bruce being stabbed at the end by Talia, including knife-twist, and he was still able to function afterwards?

Because he's Batman... Duh

Like The Joker said, he mostly sat on his ass on the Bat.

Like The Joker said, he mostly sat on his ass on the Bat.

If it's true that the wound doesn't close if the knife is twisted, he would've needed immediate attention afterwards. Even then, I don't know if the (profuse?) bleeding could have been stopped.

Maybe someone with medical experience can help us explain this.

I can even live with Bruce fighting Ra's with a treated wound in Batman Begins, but like I said, the knife-twist in DKR was too much for me.

If it's true that the wound doesn't close if the knife is twisted, he would've needed immediate attention afterwards. Even then, I don't know if the (profuse?) bleeding could have been stopped.

Maybe someone with medical experience can help us explain this.

Thankfully he lived in a pg13 world where men are made of awesome, not blood.

Honestly, it's not the Bat piloting that bothers me.

It's the epilogue. Alfred seeing him in Paris (or wherever) that seems the most unlikely. Escaping that explosion in the 1.5 seconds he had between scenes is already a stretch. But making the swim to shore and then the walk to the hospital with no assistance from Alfred or Blake... (Maybe Selina picked him up I guess) after being wounded to this degree is so absurd.

Certainly in the top few reasons this is the weakest of the trilogy.

after being wounded to this degree is so absurd.

It's just stab wound. This is the guy who tackled a man off a building after he was shot.

Dent was using a .38 special. If you're honestly saying that would cause more damage than the knife wound in this movie, you're sorely mistaken.

Two-face dying from that fall and Batman being able to get up and walk (run) away from the same fall (along with gunshot wound) is it's own topic for discussion. But this particular wound is even more of a cinema sin.

OP's point is quite valid.

No, it's not valid. There's lots of real life cases of people walking away from serious stab wounds. Walking to a hospital, or to a Police Station e.g.;

http://www.mercurynews.com/2008/04/...cisco-police-station-with-serious-stab-wound/

There was one woman who was stabbed in the back with a 6 inch kitchen knife by a mugger, and DIDN'T EVEN NOTICE. She walked home with it still in her back unaware it was there;

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1248155/The-mugging-victim-inch-knife--didnt-notice.html

Last edited:

It's the epilogue. Alfred seeing him in Paris (or wherever) that seems the most unlikely. Escaping that explosion in the 1.5 seconds he had between scenes is already a stretch. But making the swim to shore and then the walk to the hospital with no assistance from Alfred or Blake... (Maybe Selina picked him up I guess) after being wounded to this degree is so absurd.

This whole topic is not worth getting into. But my take on Batman's escape is that he got out of the Bat while he was still in the city, specifically in the explosion that Blake and the orphans see before it flies to the coast. The closeup of him in the cockpit was misdirection. You can see shadows crossing his face that would be from the buildings, not present in the vacant shoreline. The hints about the bat's autopilot suggest that Batman was not inside when it flew away.

I'll agree it's not worth getting into. It's a really bad sequence of clips in my opinion. Because later on it's alluded to that the autopilot was fixed. So yes, it doesn't sound like he had to swim a mile in frigid winter salt water with a stab wound. But why then, would they feel the need to mislead us?

BB and TDK were able to illicit emotional responses without this particular brand of trickery.

I'll agree it's not worth getting into. It's a really bad sequence of clips in my opinion. Because later on it's alluded to that the autopilot was fixed. So yes, it doesn't sound like he had to swim a mile in frigid winter salt water with a stab wound. But why then, would they feel the need to mislead us?
Because we're meant to think that Bruce died. The whole film foreshadows that this is it for him and even more with the idea that he's seeking it. The payoff at the end is that he made it. Escaping literally and figuratively. In the most basic sense the story is about a guy finding the will to live again.

BB and TDK were able to illicit emotional responses without this particular brand of trickery.

They both deal with narrative tricks and misdirection. Ducard actually being Ra's parallels Bruce's own duality in Begins and TDK brilliantly foreshadows and camouflages its ending within Harvey Dent's arc and the thesis of "you either die a hero..."

but dont you think there would have a puddle of blood where he was sitting?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"