Unpopular Opinions about Thor and The Avengers

fantasymoon

Civilian
Reaction score
Forgive me if this is not the right thread for this. Definitely move it if its not please. :yay:

Hi, I’m new to the fandom. I saw Thor and Avengers several months ago on Netflix. I have been lurking since then on various boards having a great time reading people thoughts until I to felt a desire to actually post something myself. So without further ado I thought this would be a fun first thread.

This is a safe haven. As the thread title says post your unpopular opinions, and reasons if you have them, without fear of being told off. :jedi

Rules:
-Keep your reasons short and sweet. One or two sentences to explain your opinions are fine, but no long paragraphs.

-Be Nice- :)

-No negative debates- Like I’ve stated this is a safe haven. A person should be able to voice their unpopular opinion without having to get into an argument about it with someone who disagrees. If someone’s unpopular opinion bothers you so much make another thread and argue to your heart’s content because this thread is not the one for it.

-You are free to agree with an unpopular opinion, but again negativity take it elsewhere.

-Even though this thread was made with unpopular opinions about Thor and the Avengers in mind you may post about the other origin movies as well.

-If you have an unpopular opinion about the trailers ( all including the Dark World's ) you may list it here to.

-Have fun- this thread is not for malice. It’s just a fun thread to see differing opinions from the majority.

I’ll start- Sorry my unpopular opinions mostly surround Loki, but he is my favorite.

I’m a Loki fan that does not find Tom Hiddleston attractive (runs from pitchforks).:devil:

I think Thor had better overall dialogue, tone, and character moments then The Avengers.

I think Loki was treated better as a character in Thor.

I don’t like the Hulk (I know sacrilege ;) - to godlike and acts like an animal, and he’s blatant cgi. Not a fan of that either.

I have no interest in The Avenger’s sequel (sacrilege again). :shock

The deleted scenes of Thor should have never been deleted. There were some great character movements in there. They made the movie so much fuller and better.

I don’t think Loki/Tom is as popular as my fellow fans think he is.

I needed no confirmation that Loki would not be in The Avengers sequel since to me it made no writing sense for him to be in it in the first place.

Cap is a boring character (Ditto for widow and hawkeye) and his origin movie was so boring I couldn’t finish it.

I didn’t care that Coulson died.

I don’t mind Loki dying. I’m a character person first and a fan second. As long as it’s written well I don’t mind it happening. Better that then him overstaying his welcome and becoming a caricature.

I don’t think Hiddleston will have a strong career after Loki. He becomes the character so well that it’s hard to see him in anything else. He’s like two other brilliant actors in that regard for me. Brent Spiner (Data) and James Marsters (Spike). Oscar worthy performances, but their careers never took off after the characters they played so masterfully.

Out of all the prequel movies leading up to The Avengers I think Thor's is the only one that should be watched for back-story. The main villain is from his world as is the Tesseract.

Last edited:
I'm fine with Thor, though i hated how they retconned the emotional of his movie (inability to get back to Jane) by having him be able to get back to Jane afterall.

I'm not interested in the sequel for two reasons.

1. Never was an Avengers fan. I grew up with Spidey and X-Men and Avengers were the B-Listers to those A's, though i do like some of them individually but as a team they don't have the family aspect of X-Men and don't mesh together as well for my tastes. Being superheroes are more like their job than their life, they assemble save the day and go back to their own lives, I don't find that interesting

2. The first movie was okay it was pretty much a by the numbers action comedy just with fantastical aspects. and i don't have much interest for that genre, i like action movies or comedy movies not the two together. And the lack of any substance and meaning and stakes made it too forgettable storywise imo

This is a safe haven. As the thread title says post your unpopular opinions, and reasons if you have them, without fear of being told off. :jedi

I doubt that'd happen as uberfans can't take critisism of this particular movie

I’ll start- Sorry my unpopular opinions mostly surround Loki, but he is my favorite.

I’m a Loki fan that does not find Tom Hiddleston attractive (runs from pitchforks).:devil:

I think Thor had better overall dialogue, tone, and character moments then The Avengers.

I don’t like the Hulk (I know sacrilege ;) - to godlike and acts like an animal, and he’s blatant cgi. Not a fan of that either.

I have no interest in The Avenger’s sequel (sacrilege again). :shock

The deleted scenes of Thor should have never been deleted. There were some great character movements in there. They made the movie so much fuller and better.

I needed no confirmation that Loki would not be in The Avengers sequel since to me it made no writing sense for him to be in it in the first place.

Cap is a boring character (Ditto for widow and hawkeye) and his origin movie was so boring I couldn’t finish it.

I don’t mind Loki dying. I’m a character person first and a fan second. As long as it’s written well I don’t mind it happening. Better that then him overstaying his welcome and becoming a caricature.

I don’t think Hiddleston will have a strong career after Loki. He becomes the character so well that it’s hard to see him in anything else. He’s like two other brilliant actors in that regard for me. Brent Spiner (Data) and James Marsters (Spike). Oscar worthy performances, but their careers never took off after the characters they played so masterfully.

Out of all the prequel movies leading up to The Avengers I think Thor's is the only one that should be watched for back-story. The main villain is from his world as is the Tesseract.

Agreed with the parts in Bold :cwink:

Last edited:
Really? In a Marvel section? A place where 90% of users think The Avengers is a 10/10 movie? You won´t find many unpopular opinions.

To me The Avengers...well, to me, to say The Avengers is a great movie is like saying that a hot dumb girl is the best kind of woman a man can get for his life. I mean, a hot girl, even if it´s stupid, can be a lot of fun to play with. But do you really wanna spend time talking to her? Do you really wanna have her as the mother of your children? Maybe not. The Avengers is just like that. It has some cool visuals, a couple of funny lines but it´s really not something that fascinates me intelectually or emotionally. It´s basically a cartoon. If you have kids, that´s a great movie to watch with them.

6.5/10

Is that unpopular enough for you?

Thor just feels pointless. I can´t even get my brain to start forming an opinion about the movie. I just didn´t care.

It´s just like nobody gives a damn about the script anymore. The studio execs must be like this:

"You know what? Screw the script! Just put some m*ther*****ers in costumes smashing stuff and people will buy it. The story? I don´t know...they just have to fight some mofos from other planets and kick their asses...throw a couple of hot gals into the mix, have an happy ending, and you got your billion dollar franchise."

Movie Thor was far and above the best take on the character to date.

Iron Man was the central character of Avengers to the determent of the film

Agree Avengers is the hot dumb girl... maybe not dumb tough... barely legal... it just lacks the necessary life experience to be a suitable partner, lol.

Pretty much agree with everything you said.

Loki/Tom Hiddleston isn't conventionally "attractive". He's actually kinda ugly, but what people like about him is his acting, style, presence, vocabulary and accent.

Thor:

Everything that happens on earth involving Natalie Portman and/or her unbearably cheesey friend is terrible. And so is the "romance." More like a puppy love with a god of thunder that falls for a skinny girl for no reason whatsoever; this is a god that comes from a world full with goddesses and brave female warriors.

Another unpopular: Loki. Hiddleston was great in the role, the character was very well written in his background, we understand why he is the way he is and why he's so bitter at Odin. But Odin seems unable to explain himself. In fact he's shown as a true bastard that used Loki for his political purposes, and right when he should be explaining himself and taking the conflict somewhere else, comes the easy way out: somehow, for some unexplained obscure reason he falls asleep. Cue sad trombone.

Just to wrap up: I wish Loki could have been kept as great in Avengers, but it didn't happen. Slowly, the character passed from evil to a baffoon.

If Avengers is the "hot dumb girl",does that make TDK the "pretentious high maintenance" girl?

:hehe:

Avengers is the witty girl you like talking to.

TDK is the girl that sometimes freaks you out because you know she is way smarter than you.

Both are super hot.

Just to wrap up: I wish Loki could have been kept as great in Avengers, but it didn't happen. Slowly, the character passed from evil to a baffoon.

Agreed, i liked him in Thor, he was a character with motivation and substance. He went onto become essentially a mustache twirling villains smiling his butt off the whole time.

Agreed, i liked him in Thor, he was a character with motivation and substance. He went onto become essentially a mustache twirling villains smiling his butt off the whole time.

Heh, I couldn't have said it any better myself. That evil smile was great the first time. By the end of a movie it was already a cliche in itself.

Sorry, I don't know how to multi-quote from different users worth a darn yet so I’m going to do it this way for now.:huh:

“Really? In a Marvel section? A place where 90% of users think The Avengers is a 10/10 movie? You won´t find many unpopular opinions.”

I’m definitely beginning to see that, but I didn’t know where else to put it. I was debating with myself with here, community diner, or the cutting room. I ultimately chose this forum because my thread is about the marvel movies, but on the other hand it’s more like a game thread in that it’s more in the vein of fun and not something important. Do you think I should ask the mods to move it, and if I do that which forum should it be moved to?

"And the lack of any substance and meaning and stakes made it too forgettable storywise imo"

‘‘It has some cool visuals, a couple of funny lines but it´s really not something that fascinates me intellectually or emotionally. It´s basically a cartoon. If you have kids, that´s a great movie to watch with them.’’

Agreed. I just couldn’t care about the characters. There was just no real emotional punches for me, no believable tension, the script was cheesy and full of jokes more often than not, and Loki unfortunately became the biggest joke of all. Bottomline: I. just. didn’t. care.

“Loki/Tom Hiddleston isn't conventionally "attractive". He's actually kinda ugly, but what people like about him is his acting, style, presence, vocabulary and accent.”

I definitely agree with this except for me ugly is too strong a word. He has a rather unique face that works with the straight black hair, clean shaven, loki’s outfits/mannerisms and that holy damn acting. As himself he’s just meh looking to me, but like you said it’s everything else about him that works.

“Everything that happens on earth involving Natalie Portman and/or her unbearably cheesey friend is terrible. And so is the "romance." More like a puppy love with a god of thunder that falls for a skinny girl for no reason whatsoever; this is a god that comes from a world full with goddesses and brave female warriors.”

I was going to put something about the romance as well, but I didn’t think it was unpopular. I thought it was the general consensus that it reeked lol.

The main problem for me was that hemsworth and portman didn’t have any chemistry with each other. Combine that with having to suffer though the already sleep-inducing earth scenes (Thor shined as a film on asgard and the ice world) and your talking about someone about to kill over with boredom. That’s one of the few things I loved about the avengers there was NO romance. Note to Hollyweird unless you are doing a romantic comedy or drama you don’t need romance in your films.

“Just to wrap up: I wish Loki could have been kept as great in Avengers, but it didn't happen. Slowly, the character passed from evil to a baffoon.”

Indeed. Whedon destroyed him in the avengers. What happened to my layered villain from Thor? Who was this Loki the mustache twirler? I just could not take him seriously. The last straw for me came with the hulk smash. I gave up even trying to see him as an actual threat to the avengers by that point. I honestly don’t want whedon touching the character ever again. In the Dark World I hope we see more of the shades of grey villain from Thor then the pathetic punch-line we saw in the Avengers.

Some more unpopular opinions

I dislike the helmets. They look ridiculous, and was glad the first time we saw Thor wear his was the only time. Now if Loki could follow suit…

Thor's outfit looks better with sleeves then not.

I don’t get the Odin hate with regards to Loki. Odin, Thor, and Frigga loved him and I saw this, through dialogue and performances, from both movies. If anything I think the first Thor movie failed in its execution of showing me the opposite.

Last edited:
I’m a Loki fan that does not find Tom Hiddleston attractive

Cap is a boring character (Ditto for widow and hawkeye) and his origin movie was so boring.

I agree with all of those things!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"