The Phantom, anyone? The original inspiration for Batman

They would've listened more attentively had you strapped it to a rock and chucked it through the window!

...I think the film works very well if you look at it as "what if a 1940's movie serial had big budget and done in color", and just like the Flash Gordon movie, accept the film for what it is. That's how I view it, anyway.:yay:

Absolutely, and I don't dispute that. But what it misses is the entire point of those serials; the frantic, cliffhanger energy. The rolicking adventure and cheap thrills. The Phantom is simply too tame.

But what it misses is the entire point of those serials; the frantic, cliffhanger energy. The rolicking adventure and cheap thrills. The Phantom is simply too tame.

....and this is why I would very much like to see an extended cut of the film. I know there is one deleted scene, for example, that had Phantom fighting a lion.

I just found this:http://chroniclechamber.com/

Another Possible Phamtom Movie

The Daily Telegraph reports that director Tim Boyle is looking to make a new Phantom film possibly staring Sam Worthington in the lead role. The main points are;
  • Tim Boyle is the director
  • Sam Worthington is rumoured to star as The Phantom
  • Tim has written 65 pages of the screenplay which he hopes to have finished before he flies to New York next month for a meeting with the owners of the copyright to the comic strip (I am assuming this is King Features)
  • Tim states the movie will have "action, romance - all the good stuff"
  • The plot will centre on the Phantom and his son, "about a boy and his destiny".
  • Compared to the Zane film, his version was a mulligan, a re-shot.
  • and his initial plan failed to impress the studio, but he wrote another idea for the film that was snapped up.

I really hope Boyle will get to make this film. I am not familiar with his previous work, but he sounds like a passionate fan of the character.

In fact, there are three different Phantom film and TV-projects rumoured/in planning at the moment that we know of, which is a weird but wonderful feeling for a die-hard fan of a character who has so far not received the media-exposure he so truly deserves. We have the Boyle film, a proposed TV-series for Sci Fi Channel written by Daniel and Charles Knauf, and there's even a rumour that Paramount are intending to make a sequel to their 1996 version, again starring the terribly underappreciated Billy Zane.

I would love to somehow see both a new take by Boyle AND a sequel with Zane, but I know that isn't very likely. The Sci Fi Channel project can die a terrible death for my liking, as it sounds like they want a purple Punisher more than anything else (their Phantom would shoot and kill people, according to the press release).

I think the time is better than ever for the Phantom to return to the screen. Lesser known characters like Iron Man, Hellboy, Daredevil, even the Punisher to a certain degree, has proved that you don't need a "big name" comic for a movie to bring in bucks. Plus, I dare say the Phantom is far more famous than any of the aforementioned characters anyway. After all, it is said that over 100 million people read the comic strip in the prime of its popularity.

They're even making a new movie based on Mandrake the Magician, which was also created by the great Lee Falk, starring a perfectly cast Jonathan Rhys Meyers.

I highly recommend people to check out what Moonstone Books has been doing with the Phantom. They are truly the best and most passionate US publisher to ever touch the character, and has made some amazing stories throughout the years. They are going to relaunch the character soon with an all new regular book called The Phantom: The Ghost Who Walks. I'm already counting the days! :woot:

Really, just give them a try. Mike Bullock is the regular writer, and does a terrific job in every way. Other than him, people like Ben Raab, Rafael Nieves, Ron Marz, Tony Bedard, Chuck Dixon and Craig Shaw Gardner has done some great work on the character for them. http://moonstonebooks.com/phantom.asp

(I know I sound like I work for the company or something, but I am just a HUGE fan of the Man Who Cannot Die who is happy that there is some kind of newfound interest for his adventures).

Here's hopes to see the Ghost walk to the screen again soon! :yay:

phantom.jpg

I hope they keep the trunks in the new film.

Instead of Blue and Black stripes, though, I'd like to see it as all black but the stripes are defined by the having them alternate matte and shiny.

Oh... and seeing that Falk's original design made the costume Grey instead of Purple, how about they tone down the purple to look a little washed out? Not quite grey but leaning toward it.

So they are actually making a new Phantom movie? The one with Billy Zane was not that great. I remember giving the character a go after a friend who's a Phantom fan told me to check the comics because it was much better than the movie but I quite honestly was not impressed. The stories were just your ordinary mass produced comics stuff to fill the pages with run of the mill comics dialog. I started with some of the moonstone issues and even a couple of graphic novels and TPB but the Phantom seemed like a 2D character with not a lot of development. I also tried some of the classic older stories but as with any golden age stories they were not really up to the contemporary standards. Are there any well written Phantom issues out there? What is the equivalent of The Dark Knight Strikes Back, Born Again etc, meaning well written stories with a serious take, good dialog and an interesting plot for the Phantom?

Are there any well written Phantom issues out there? What is the equivalent of The Dark Knight Strikes Back, Born Again etc, meaning well written stories with a serious take, good dialog and an interesting plot for the Phantom?

I don't know where you live, my friend, but how many great Phantom stories you can get your hands on pretty much depends on that...

The earliest Lee Falk stories will for me always be the best ones. They have an edge to them, a great sense of mystery and fantastic dialogue. Very "adult" stuff at times, and looks even more so when compared to the Superman and Batman stories of the era. Unfortunately, they are not easy to get your hands on unless you live in Australia or certain parts of Europe, where they have been published many times in both hardcover and paperback.

I'm not sure what Moonstone stories you checked out, but I'd recommend you read their retelling of the origin, "Legacy", which is damn good. They also have another 100 page GN called "Man-Eaters", which I think is my favourite Phantom story of the last few years, and another one called "Law of the Jungle" that's cool too.

Mike Bullock does a great job on the on-going series, and the title will be relaunched with a slightly darker feel to it next year, as "The Phantom: Ghost Who Walks", which I hope people check out.

Scandinavian publisher Egmont has varied more in quality in recent years, but if you're American, I guess you're not able to get your hands on those stories anyway.

In short, I don't think there are any stories that are widely considered to be "defining" for the Phantom, ala TDKR, simply because the character has been published by a lot of different firms through the years. I would however recommend all of the above. Man-Eaters gives a fantastic look at the character from the perspective of a secret agent, and LOTJ looks at him through the eyes of a deranged psychopath.

I don't think it's fair to say the character is 2D. He has always been the clearly defined hero (and has fortunately never turned into an unlikeable *** like Batman of recent years), but that doesn't mean he doesn't have a personality. Again, you'll need to know where to look here... Lee Falk's novels really gets into the head of Kit Walker, showing his doubts and pride with his strange task in life. The Mark Verheiden-written DC series which came out in 1989-90 did the same.

Hope this was of some help!

Is that possible Phantom film the SyFy one? Or is it a different project altogether?

edit: Just looked it up, and it seems it is different. Phantom Legacy is the movie being developed...and has nothing to do with the SyFy mini.

I love The Phantom, but I prefer Mandrake the magician.

The sci fi phantom is just...............
Billy Zane Phantom was and still is a terrific movie in my book. I honestly wouldn't change a damn thing about it. The suit looked awesome. Zanes wit brought a lot to the character.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"