The Phantom (1996)

goshdarn batman have you seen the 1940s serial and if so whats the verdict ?

Also, you got to see him without his mask. Everyone who read The Phantom knows that "anyone who sees The Phantoms face will die a horrible death!" :wow: (Old jungle saying)

Or was that saying only used over here? :huh:

But all in all i enjoyed it though.

...even Diana Palmer? The woman he eventually marries in the comics? Doesn't she eventually get to see his face in the comics too?

..or are you just referring when he is in plainclothes in New York?

The Phantom has a soft spot in my heart no matter how cheesy it is, Billy Zane got in incredible shape to make that Phantom suit look pretty slick. I might have to pop this in when I get home tonight.

...even Diana Palmer? The woman he eventually marries in the comics? Doesn't she eventually get to see his face in the comics too?

..or are you just referring when he is in plainclothes in New York?

No no, Diana Palmer/Walker sees his face. Guran(his trusty sidekick) sees his face. His whole family sees his face. (His kids too) But the badguys who saw Phantoms face, usually by unmasking him, (he always warned them though), they bought the farm. As i said, im not sure if the un-masking of The Phantom wasnt just some thing they played up over here. As you might know Sweden had it's own team of writers for The Phantom over here and i think they came up with some new stuff. Like him wearing a blue suit instead of a purple one. I guess that The Phantom had sort of a re-boot back then and they added some things.

You know, i used to think about the whole unmasking business when i was a kid and i asked my older brother about it then. He said to me: "Relax, it only works on the badguys. Besides they never show his face."

That explanation was good enough for me,
still, it was a little un-nerving (for me) to see Phantoms whole face in the movie. :cwink:

I see. Fair point. ;)

Anyway, I recently watched the dvd set of the short-lived 1993-1994 western-sci-fi tv series The Adventures of Brisco County Jr, starring Bruce Campbell, which was developed by Jeffrey Boam, who also wrote The Phantom-screenplay. This series had an "earnest"-type camp that The Phantom kinda' strives for as well, and one could probably think that either Boam or someone at Paramount, seeing as to how the show was well-received critically, thought that same approach would be right for a Phantom-film treatment. Considering also that initially Bruce Campbell was considered for the role of The Phantom.

I see. Fair point. ;)

Anyway, I recently watched the dvd set of the short-lived 1993-1994 western-sci-fi tv series The Adventures of Brisco County Jr, starring Bruce Campbell, which was developed by Jeffrey Boam, who also wrote The Phantom-screenplay. This series had an "earnest"-type camp that The Phantom kinda' strives for as well, and one could probably think that either Boam or someone at Paramount, seeing as to how the show was well-received critically, thought that same approach would be right for a Phantom-film treatment. Considering also that initially Bruce Campbell was considered for the role of The Phantom.

I always wanted to watch that show, i really like Bruce, but i seem to remember that they stuck it in some un-godly hour when it was broadcast over here, way back when. :csad:

Bruce as The Phantom. Yeah i would have liked to seen that. Although i think Zane did a good job.

I always wanted to watch that show, i really like Bruce, but i seem to remember that they stuck it in some un-godly hour when it was broadcast over here, way back when. :csad:

Bruce as The Phantom. Yeah i would have liked to seen that. Although i think Zane did a good job.

if it helps it is available on Netflix or amazon

if it helps it is available on Netflix or amazon

Cool, but wait, we have Netflix Sweden over here. Not the same selections as in the US. :csad:

Maybe it's available on dvd in Sweden, i'll check it out.

Last edited:
good but ithought we were discussing the 1994 theatrical film:srg
EDIT SORRY I forgot you meant brisco county jr glad I could help

Yeah, i was still talking about Bruce's show. I ordered it! :woot:

"What is this, a ship-full of women?"

phantom-1.png

I was at Univeral Studios a few weeks ago, and they had a old school comic book part of the park that has Flash Gordon/Betty Boop/The Phantom, and the art of The Phantom had me so intrigued with the character, that I went into the store looking for his merch, but alas..m nothing. I wonder why that is? They didn't have Flash Gordon either. Anyways, I found the movie cheap on Amazon, watched it, and thought it was a pretty decent film. Honestly, the cinematography/visuals are pretty nice. I like Billy Zane in the movie as well. It's a little ridiculous, but it's part of the charm too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"