The Phantom (1996)

Reaction score
Couldn't find a thread for this movie, so I made one myself (and I didn't want to ruin the "The Shadow"-thread).

I love this movie (and the comics) so much...and I know I'm not the only one:woot: I can't understand why it's considered a terrible comic book movie. Why do I like it? Here's some of the reasons why:

1. It doesn't waste 40 minutes on the hero's origin story. Like the comics, it gives us the basics at the very beginning.

2. The Phantom is a true hero. Courageous, moral, selfless, optimistic etc. He's not The Punisher in tights, he fights evil because it's the right thing to do, not because he's angry or it "turns him on". He's very much like Reeve's Superman.

We need more heroes like that in todays movies and comics...not sadistic brats with swords and guns.

3. Action from the beginning to the end. I'm not opposed to "deep" stuff in superhero movies etc. But let's be honest, the main reason we watch movies based on comic books is because of the fight scenes and destruction. How fun would The Avengers be without the battle part?

Nick Fury: "We just found Loki dead in his cell. Heart attack!"
Black Widow: "Then there won't be an invasion!"
Iron Man (drunk): "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn! *burp*"
Captain America: "I understood that reference!"

4. Billy Zane did a great job portraying The Phantom. Zane was originally going to wear a suit with fake muscles, but pumped iron instead. He studied the Phantom's movements and body language from the comics, and it shows. I also love the dry humor when Drax asks him why he's after the skull: "It goes well with my curtains".

He truly respected and loved the character.

5. The villains are evil and they know it. We don't get any of the "you are as bad as us, Phantom!" Or "I need the skulls to...uhm, save my people! But first I must slaughter thousands of people...because I'm misunderstood!"

Nothing wrong with tragic villains, but I think something is wrong when people root for the villain instead of the hero.

That's a few of the reasons why I love The Phantom (1996). Why do you like it?

I never understood the dislike. I always loved this.

Sure it's campy, but the comic is pulpy so why not. I'm a sucker for hero movies set in the 20s/30s/40s.

The villain Drax was awesome, I loved his power mongering ways, simple yet effective.

Zane was good in the role, he had fun and was charismatic with the character. Swanson and Zeta Jones were smokin hot and like many movies provided the contrasting good girl & bad girl dynamic.

Last edited:
I like super-hero cliffhanger serials so it was a natural that i'd get this DVD

Amost forgot...

6. The music in this movie is very good. The Phantom's theme is so heroic:woot: I will never forget it.

Sure it's campy, but the comic is pulpy so why not. I'm a sucker for hero movies set in the 20s/30s/40s.

The villain Drax was awesome, I loved his power mongering ways, simple yet effective.

Zane was good in the role, he had fun and was charismatic with the character.

:up:

Swanson and Zeta Jones were smokin hot and like many movies provided the contrasting good girl & bad girl dynamic.

Yes! Always fun to see. :word:

I love the movie, it's really fun
And I agree about not cheering or rooting for the villain

I saw The Phantom in cinemas in 1996 and still have a soft spot for it.

And I agree about not cheering or rooting for the villain

:highfive:

same here

:highfive:

I saw The Phantom in cinemas in 1996 and still have a soft spot for it.

I didn't!:csad: and I can't understand why. The Phantom and Batman was two of my biggest heroes when I was a little boy. If someone invents a time machine, I'll travel back to 1996 and kick myself in the ass.

OR, I'll convince myself to watch it. With myself.

I haven't seen it in a while, but I remember it looking gorgeous and being close to the comics. Just a fun, breezy type of movie.

It's far from the best CBM out there, and the hero really should get a cinematic update in this day and time :)

I haven't seen it in a while, but I remember it looking gorgeous and being close to the comics. Just a fun, breezy type of movie.

That's right, the nature shots are beautiful:yay:

It's far from the best CBM out there, and the hero really should get a cinematic update in this day and time :)

I agree. The SyFy-version wasn't that bad, but the costume was horrible. There's a scene where the new Phantom sees the classic costume and says: "I'm not wearing that!". No, but you're going to wear something worse.

Man, I remember that costume being just damn awesome. I want to say that The Phantom and The Shadow are massively underrated films that paid a proper homage and did right by what those characters are all about. I want to say that if it were released today, it'd be more loved...but I'm not sure if it's true. There seems to be this strange belief that every comic book film needs to be somehow gritty, or realistic. Or dark and brooding. Just because it works for Batman, doesn't mean it fits for other characters.

But, without a doubt The Phantom was a good movie. Just fun. There was cheese, but that was on purpose and it fit the tone.

I remember the SyFy movie being pretty decent, too. Like, surprisingly so. But the costume was just horrible. I remember them even showing the Billy Zane outfit during the movie, and thinking "just give him that one to wear."

I actually remember seeing this in the theatres. I agree that it's also underrated like The Shadow and another period piece/comic book movie of the time (that also didn't do that well box office wise) - The Rocketeer.

Man, I remember that costume being just damn awesome. I want to say that The Phantom and The Shadow are massively underrated films that paid a proper homage and did right by what those characters are all about. I want to say that if it were released today, it'd be more loved...but I'm not sure if it's true. There seems to be this strange belief that every comic book film needs to be somehow gritty, or realistic. Or dark and brooding. Just because it works for Batman, doesn't mean it fits for other characters.

But, without a doubt The Phantom was a good movie. Just fun. There was cheese, but that was on purpose and it fit the tone.
:applaud

Marvel Studios movies are pretty fun

Man, There seems to be this strange belief that every comic book film needs to be somehow gritty, or realistic. Or dark and brooding. Just because it works for Batman, doesn't mean it fits for other characters.

I remember the SyFy movie being pretty decent, too. Like, surprisingly so. But the costume was just horrible. I remember them even showing the Billy Zane outfit during the movie, and thinking "just give him that one to wear."

Good post:woot:

I agree, The Phantom shouldn't be like that. Even though the world around him can be pretty messed up, he isn't. I prefer the comic strips where he's a happy family man.

Yes, the SyFy costume is disgusting...how is that supposed to be "cooler" than the original? It looks nothing like The Phantom.

Marvel Studios movies are pretty fun

Yeah, I know some people hate Marvel movies because of the lighter tone and humor. I don't get it, why should superhero movies be more serious than regular movies?

I remember when it was announced that they were working on a new Batman movie (Batman Begins). I read it on a movie site...I scrolled down the page, and one of the first comments I saw looked like this:

"Hell yeah! I hope there's boobs in it! It should be rated R."

Because Batman is all about boobs.

Yeah, I know some people hate Marvel movies because of the lighter tone and humor. I don't get it, why should superhero movies be more serious than regular movies?
For the same reason comic books are juvenile entertainment and certain superheroes are for kids?

I love the moments when Kit was talking to his father's ghost, those are fun lighthearted moments
And the script didn't lose the "your father was stabbed", and it didn't add "seek vengeance, kill people, gouge eyes"

Last edited:
Scary nerd: "Batman was made for adults! I'll kill the director if it's not rated NC-17! I hope Bruce Wayne is a drug addict, like in my own script! I hate kids, they can watch Pokemon and Mickey Mouse."

Nerd's mom: "Phil, when are you going to move out of my basement and get a job...or a wife?"

Scary nerd: "I'll do it when scientists invent a teleportation device. That way, I don't have to touch my comic books and toys when I move!"

:csad:

Zane was good in the role, he had fun and was charismatic with the character. Swanson and Zeta Jones were smokin hot and like many movies provided the contrasting good girl & bad girl dynamic.

I'm with you, man.

It's one of my all-time favorite movies (yes I said it). It's just good popcorn fun.

I love the moments when Kit was talking to his father's ghost, those are fun lighthearted moments
And the script didn't lose the "your father was stabbed, seek vengeance, kill people, gouge eyes"

Me too, especially when he is in the back seat of the cab.

It's a shame they cut some parts from the movie. Scenes developing the romance between The Phantom and Diana, The Phantom fighting a lion and a snake...:csad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulsantiagoolg
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"