Batman Begins The REAL Batman by Jett

raybia

Signing off
Reaction score
THE "REAL" BATMAN
Author: Jett
Wednesday, February 1, 2006

Who is the “real” Batman?

Is he The Dark Knight? Or is he The Caped Crusader?

Is his suit a costume or battle gear? And is it gray and black, blue and gray, or all black? Does he wear tights or body armor? Is his bat symbol found within a yellow oval or spread wide across his chest?

Does the real Batman have long or short ears on his cowl? Are his eyes covered by lenses? Is the cape for theatricality, or does it have a specific function?

Does his utility belt have pouches like a policeman or a soldier, or does it have narrow cylinders?

Does he use a batarang and rope to get from building to building, or a grapling gun instead?

Is Bruce Wayne psychotic, crazy perhaps? Or is he just really dedicated to his “mission?”

Does his universe exist in a dark, macabre, fantastic netherworld? Or does he exist in a place almost as “real” as ours -- just with a few “odd” characters?

Is he The Bat-Man who doesn’t oppose carrying a lethal weapon and using it from time to time? Is he Batman whose adventures may take him into outer space or back in time? Is he Batman, honorary member of the Gotham City Police Force. Is he The Batman, Darknight Detective -- a vigilante solving crimes much like a freaky, badass Sherlock Holmes?

Does the real Batman only appear at night, or could we find him in the middle of the day at some public event?

Should the real Batman operate solo, or should he have allies such as Robin? Was Ace The Bat-hound, Bat-Woman, Bat-Girl, and Bat-Mite ever part of the real Batman’s world?

Was the 60s TV show with Adam West the real Batman?

On the big screen, was the real Batman realized in BATMAN? BATMAN RETURNS? BATMAN FOREVER? BATMAN AND ROBIN? Or perhaps BATMAN BEGINS?

Right now, think “Batman,” envision him with your mind's eye. There he is, see him?

The real Batman.

So the answer to all these questions is a collective “yes,” because the only “real” Batman is the one that exists in our heads.

And in the hearts of all Batman fans as well.

"Jett" is the editor-in-chief of BATMAN ON FILM and BATMAN IN COMICS.

Wow. Abo****ely, postively right on the nail. That IS The REAL Batman. The one each of us see in our minds and hearts, and honestly.....no a single person can tell any of us differently, wheter you see the real Batman as Keaton, or as Kilmer or as Bale........not a single person can convince any of us as to which is the REAL one because honestly, they all are to different people.

ChrisBaleBatman said:
Wow. Abo****ely, postively right on the nail. That IS The REAL Batman. The one each of us see in our minds and hearts, and honestly.....no a single person can tell any of us differently, wheter you see the real Batman as Keaton, or as Kilmer or as Bale........not a single person can convince any of us as to which is the REAL one because honestly, they all are to different people.

Yeah I thought the same thing. Its really a good article.

I really really love Bale's performance as Bruce Wayne/Batman (Not to take anything away from Keaton, the only actors I can take em or leave. Adam West is in a category ALL by himself - nothing but love for him.

However, when I close my eyes, the Batman I see is...from TAS. That is MY Batman.

I don't know if its possible to ever translate that into a live action movie though.

No, I don't it is. BTAS had soooo many qulities that live action films can never even dream of copying. Everything just meshed perfectly.

For me, it's BATMAN BEGINS. I see a Batman wearing black armor and using the playboy image to keep his persona under wraps.

I see either Batman Begins, or Batman from more recent comics, usually as drawn by Jim Lee. Either way, he's serious and he's dark. His costume, whether cloth or armor, is sans-nipples.

ChrisBaleBatman said:
For me, it's BATMAN BEGINS. I see a Batman wearing black armor and using the playboy image to keep his persona under wraps.

Yeah I agree, but credit Goyer for pulling that image straight from the comics.

The source material is just too rich for directors to keep ignoring it kudos to Nolan for doing so. Kudos to Burton in doing that in B'89 (WHAT IN THE HELL HAPPEN WITH BR THOUGH?)

Ya know, Burton certainly had a handle on an aspect of the character. HIS Batman was very much like the original Bob Kane and Bill Finger version.....and VERY much like Frank Miller's DKR, a Batman that is just very very dark.....and pretty damn violent. So, Burton did take things from a certain aspect of the character.......I just feel he strayed a little bit too far, like Napier being the Wayne Murderer was too much for me.

Schumacher though, he didn't get the character at all and doesn't seem to have much respect or think seriously of the comics........which is a HUGE "No-No" for me. Burton really dove in and approached his films the same way he approached others.....which is like a real film. Schumacher seems to have just taken Batman as a "fun film" like a vactional film or something......

Shumacher is fan of 60s TV Batman show, I doubt he ever read a single Batman comic.

ChrisBaleBatman said:

I concur. :up: The Batman to me is the one who doesn't kill crazy like Keaton's Batman. And also it a tie between Batman:TAS, Batman in the comics, & BB's Batman as which is the true Batman to me. :batman:

So the answer to all these questions is a collective “yes,” because the only “real” Batman is the one that exists in our heads.

Right. But old very old news.

Yeah, but it's good to always be reminded. And honestly, not enough people know.

ChrisBaleBatman said:
Yeah, but it's good to always be reminded. And honestly, not enough people know.

Well, we all know Batwing6655 doesn't know this for sure. He probably will ignore it too. LOL!

Batman TAS is the batman for me..

also the story arc no mans land and knight fall. that was batman at his best

Great read just there, was short but perfect. First time I've heard that, and it's absolutely true. Batman Begins was great, and showed a good Batman, but not the exact one I know.

Wouldn't it be interesting if every Batfan could express his own idea of Batman through a comic/film? That would be a lot of fun if it were possible. :batman:

raybia said:
THE "REAL" BATMAN
Author: Jett
Wednesday, February 1, 2006

Who is the “real” Batman?

Is he The Dark Knight? Or is he The Caped Crusader?

Is his suit a costume or battle gear? And is it gray and black, blue and gray, or all black? Does he wear tights or body armor? Is his bat symbol found within a yellow oval or spread wide across his chest?

Does the real Batman have long or short ears on his cowl? Are his eyes covered by lenses? Is the cape for theatricality, or does it have a specific function?

Does his utility belt have pouches like a policeman or a soldier, or does it have narrow cylinders?

Does he use a batarang and rope to get from building to building, or a grapling gun instead?

Is Bruce Wayne psychotic, crazy perhaps? Or is he just really dedicated to his “mission?”

Does his universe exist in a dark, macabre, fantastic netherworld? Or does he exist in a place almost as “real” as ours -- just with a few “odd” characters?

Is he The Bat-Man who doesn’t oppose carrying a lethal weapon and using it from time to time? Is he Batman whose adventures may take him into outer space or back in time? Is he Batman, honorary member of the Gotham City Police Force. Is he The Batman, Darknight Detective -- a vigilante solving crimes much like a freaky, badass Sherlock Holmes?

Does the real Batman only appear at night, or could we find him in the middle of the day at some public event?

Should the real Batman operate solo, or should he have allies such as Robin? Was Ace The Bat-hound, Bat-Woman, Bat-Girl, and Bat-Mite ever part of the real Batman’s world?

Was the 60s TV show with Adam West the real Batman?

On the big screen, was the real Batman realized in BATMAN? BATMAN RETURNS? BATMAN FOREVER? BATMAN AND ROBIN? Or perhaps BATMAN BEGINS?

Right now, think “Batman,” envision him with your mind's eye. There he is, see him?

The real Batman.

And in the hearts of all Batman fans as well.

"Jett" is the editor-in-chief of BATMAN ON FILM and BATMAN IN COMICS.

I totally agree with you "Jett" :up: :up: 100 % .

Thats was a very insightful article. Good Stuff!:up:

Universalist gobbledygook… there is an archetype and it can be defined, and there are more correct interpretations than others.

I dunno, Batman is in a class of his own. I mean, how many other heroes have had as diverse a set of interpretations as Batman and had as many be as successful?

None, Batman is the only one.

With every other hero, there are the EXACT ways to do things to get the character "right"......and if creators, or filmmakers, don't follow it......the movie will be a dud and EVERYONE will hate it.

Not with Batman. So, "correct" is a tough word when talking about Batman.

"Wrong", though......well.......Schumacher knows that one all too well.

I think it is down to artistic licence but heres a couple of sugetions and facts

the yellow symbol was on the older costumes (see flashbck shot in hush chapter 11or12) but it started as what we see now

batz costume was originally black and grey with a big black bat but they changed the colour to blue and grey because some stooopid dc owner thought the black was'nt super heroy enough

the costume was then turned back to it's cooler black colour in the eighties

I think the symbol has changed back and forth over the years

the pouches in begins could be smaller because he has only just BEGUN his quest

The pouches change size depending on what batz has on him for the situation

I dont know what this quote is from or who said it (could be character or real life person) but:
"batman is the very epitome of preperation"

As far as Im aware the suit has only been all black in the films unless I'm wrong (which is rare when it comes to batz history) although aparently it is verydark grey on the body but i'm not convinced
batz does actually have more than one suit for different occasions like
his parachute suit
thermal suit
various underwater suits
bat armour

Mabee he has diferent cowls aswell

the eye section in b89 stoped mike from seeing vertually anything so they changed that

val kilmers had to be changed on forever to fit his face

the hole at the top of the silver suit was too pour water on his head to cool hoim down because it was completly air tight (smeg knows why)

the same goes to georg crappy clooney

I think his whole suit was different with shades of blue and silver making him look more like bloody robocop than batman

werent the ears in begins hollow in begins to fit the police scanner and parabolic ear?

and wernt they more like the comic counterparts?

the glider wings were actually used in batman89 & returns but never explained

they were used in forever but val was falling too fast and couln't span his arms out so the cape flapped which is was crappy o doniel poured sand in that oogit to save batz

they were never used in b&r which is daft because isnt that film just about jump after fall after jump after crap after crap?

right that's enough from me on this boards I'm off too anoy someone else and be a smartarse somwhere else

but before I do a reply to crisbalebatman what about the xmen? they get changed every decade and there one of the most popular group/comics since they arrived in september of 63 and this decade alone have changed three times not including their off shoots like the extreame team xforce and xcorp

batadz said:
werent the ears in begins hollow in begins to fit the police scanner and parabolic ear?

and wernt they more like the comic counterparts?

How so? They were shorter but the exact same shape as the previous movies (like a long pyramidal shape curved forwards).

nah there is a flat serface at the front and there stubbyier and from the side there like cat ears the others were different trust me

I think it is down to artistic licence but heres a couple of sugetions and facts

the yellow symbol was on the older costumes (see flashbck shot in hush chapter 11or12) but it started as what we see now

batz costume was originally black and grey with a big black bat but they changed the colour to blue and grey because some stooopid dc owner thought the black was'nt super heroy enough

the costume was then turned back to it's cooler black colour in the eighties

I think the symbol has changed back and forth over the years

I think your right on the money with these.

the pouches in begins could be smaller because he has only just BEGUN his quest

The pouches change size depending on what batz has on him for the situation

I don't think so. The Utility Belt was about the right size in the movie.....maybe could have been a little bigger. But, I've read that the stuff actually did fit into the belt..........whereas in the other films, they just "stuffed" stuff into there.

As for them being bigger depending on the situation.......I dunno, I haven't noticed that.

I dont know what this quote is from or who said it (could be character or real life person) but:
"batman is the very epitome of preperation"

Yeah, Batman is a really prep- freak. It allows him to be ready for anything......but, I think it's been a little overdone in the comics......we get renditions like the Bat-God, which I actually love, but it does get criticized.

but before I do a reply to crisbalebatman what about the xmen? they get changed every decade and there one of the most popular group/comics since they arrived in september of 63 and this decade alone have changed three times not including their off shoots like the extreame team xforce and xcorp

Yeah.......but do they get spoofed by themselves? Do they get accused of being a "child molesters wet dream"? Batman is a character that's been through a hell of alot........more than any other. Plus, the films count big time.......people assume that's the way it is.

How so? They were shorter but the exact same shape as the previous movies (like a long pyramidal shape curved forwards).

I dunno.....the cowl's ears looked about the right size to me. Not too long, and not too short. The ears did curve foward from the back of the top head......not really like the comics I think.

nah there is a flat serface at the front and there stubbyier and from the side there like cat ears the others were different trust me

O ok.

there on the side on the older ones the new ones come out from the back
ithinki preferethe orinalsthough with the bigger face over the eyes

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunStorm333
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"