The Reign of the Thread of The Reign of Doomsday

WompuM

Esquire
Reaction score
Who wants to discuss this new arc? I do.

Pluses:
  • Revisiting a modern classic Superman story
  • Revisiting characters who haven't been seen in a while, like the Eradicator
  • Reestablishing Doomsday as the terrifying force that he is

Cons
  • Weak first issue
  • Complicating an already overly complicated character like Doomsday
  • Overusing an already overused character like Doomsday

So the Steel one shot. On one hand it was nice to see John Henry Irons back in action without unnecessary baggage such as his niece being a hero as well and the whole easily ignorable Infinity Inc. It's nice to see how the story reaches back to Steel's origin which was directly caused by Doomsday. I feel too often, especially in 52, that Luthor is seen as Steel's nemesis, when really Doomsday fits that role nicely. A mindless brute monster facing off against a brilliant, powerless man relying on his wits and technology. I am glad to see some of the concepts from Steel's JLA days made it into the story, specifically his hammer's abilities, but I am glad that his classic, sleek look was used rather than the industrial costume used in JLA.

That being said, he got his ass handed to him but not in the way I was hoping. This is Doomsday we're talking about. He would not need cheap gimmicks like organic armor and the sudden ability to fly to defeat Steel. This monster took down Superman without any tricks. His natural bulk and durability would be more than enough to withstand any of Steel's attacks. Adding in new abilities cheapen's Doomsday, making him less of a juggernaut and more of an Amazo. I prefer a simple unstoppable monster to a cheap evolution machine. The way these powers appear does not even fit into the skill set already established for Doomsday. Never before has he been able to gain new abilities while fighting or even being alive. It's always after his death and only upon ressurection that new powers emerge. I suppose the ability to gain more powers is a power in itself but again, this cheapens him.

I'm excited to see where this series is heading. I look forward to the Eradicator's part of the story and hopefully Cyborg Superman will be restored to his former glory instead of being the repetitive boring villain he's been recently in GLC. This will also be a great chance to see how Conner Kent will react to Doomsday. I might be wrong but I don't think the two have squared off properly. And hopefully, hopefully this will give Superman something to do besides walking through Omaha.

Not a fan of Doomsday but might check this out for the other characters involved

Would be neat if they did something new and interesting with Cyborg Superman :up:

I dunno...this has more of a chance of being really bad then it has of being really good...

Doomsday always intrigued me...he has the chance to be THE villain of comics if written properly but that hasn't happened yet so he's more of a leftover gimmick from the early 90's...

That said I thought the Steel issue was ok...

I liked the Steel issue, but I don't really have enough information on this version of Doomsday to judge anything else.
Clearly, he has some kind of higher brain functions this time around. John noted that he was behaving strategically, and the fact that Doomsday absconds with John at the end indicates some kind of plan. But then all he does is yell "STEEEEEEL" throughout the issue, which doesn't really seem like an intelligent thing to do. Gotta see another few issues to figure out what's going on, I guess.

Doomsday should've stayed dead after Imperiex killed him imho.

Not a fan of Doomsday but might check this out for the other characters involved

Would be neat if they did something new and interesting with Cyborg Superman :up:
They killed him off already in the Green Lantern Corps book.

he has the chance to be THE villain of comics if written properly

He has really never had that chance.

He was created as a fairly awful plot device, no attempt since then to make him anything more than that has gotten anywhere near doing so.

I kind of want Cy-Supes to become like, a Xanatos master, where the heroes showing up and ruining his plans and killing him is actually part of his plans and furthers his devious long-term agenda.

Has Doomsday really been around for almost 20 years? I mean wow...you mean to tell me in 20 years this is the best they have been able to do with this character?

Some new covers:
smbmann_cv5.jpg

sbv2_cv6.jpg

Weird. When fighting Steel, he evolves armor. When fighting Conner, he evolves wavy beautiful hair.

Also, why does Hank Henshaw insist on being the Cyborg Superman? The whole Superman angle just seems unnecessary to his character.

Cyborg Superman is going to om nom nom them like hero sized hostess fruit pies :awesome:

I imagine they went back to the "Cyborg Superman" 'cause, after 15 years, no one knew who the f*** Hank Henshaw was until you mentioned, "The dude who posed as the cyborg Superman after Superman died."

Still, I think there are room for two Cyborgs in the DCU. Especially since [good guy] Cyborg hasn't done anything of interest since putting Jericho on a floppy disc.

And why have those two never rassled before? He's on the JLA now, right?

Who knows? I'm actually a bit bewildered at why Superman's not more of a nemesis for the Cyborg Superman, to be honest. You'd think he'd a bit annoyed that Henshaw's perverting everything the big red S represents.

Then again, Henshaw's been in space for a while now, and Superman tends to be pretty Earth-centric (when he doesn't have a few thousand other Kryptonians to play with, at least).

Well, that would require Superman to be written as a superhero, and not a giant flaming file of ****.

EDIT: You know, I meant pile, but the idea of a bunch of poop squishing though a folder that is on fire is kinda funny, so it stays.

:lmao:

Well, that would require Superman to be written as a superhero, and not a giant flaming file of ****.

EDIT: You know, I meant pile, but the idea of a bunch of poop squishing though a folder that is on fire is kinda funny, so it stays.

Superman is too busy walking around and *****ing at people

So what exactly is this and what titles/characters does it entale?

I'm up for a doomsday event. I just hope they have something meaningful to add to the character.

So what exactly is this and what titles/characters does it entale?

From my understanding, it's Doomsday picking off the replacement Supermans from Reign of the Superman one at a time, until ultimately he fights the real Superman again, or some **** like that.

So that means Steel, Superboy, the Eradicator (who's back btw), and Cyborg Superman.

So why's it crossing over into Justice League during the Eclipso arc?

You know, I don't write the stories, and I haven't read them since they aren't released yet, so I don't know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"