The Rings of Power Season 1 Episode 8 "Alloyed"

Something I was looking forward to was Sauron befriending the elves and making them trust him to the point where they create the rings of power together. In a generally weak show it was something I thought I could still enjoy more than the rest. We reached that here but it's probably impossible to undercook that more than they did.

Just a few lines of dialogue, then Galadriel quickly finds out who he is while he's already among them, and they never even make the nine or the seven. I'm very disappointed with this and it's definitely a change they weren't forced into at all.

I would have preferred if they spent several episodes on this to make it work, rather than a lot of the other stuff that I don't think worked.

Something I was looking forward to was Sauron befriending the elves and making them trust him to the point where they create the rings of power together. In a generally weak show it was something I thought I could still enjoy more than the rest. We reached that here but it's probably impossible to undercook that more than they did.

I too would have liked more time spent in Eregion. Sauron's influence there was condensed to the absolute minimum. Halbrand came in dying, is healed and walking around the workshop moments later. It was pretty awkward watching him earn trust by suggesting mixing metals to the greatest living elven smith. I've seen a bunch of people complaining that Nori leaving the harfoots took up more time than the forging of the rings. The last episode was bizarrely rushed after a glacial pace throughout the season.

I too would have liked more time spent in Eregion. Sauron's influence there was condensed to the absolute minimum. Halbrand came in dying, is healed and walking around the workshop moments later. It was pretty awkward watching him earn trust by suggesting mixing metals to the greatest living elven smith. I've seen a bunch of people complaining that Nori leaving the harfoots took up more time than the forging of the rings. The last episode was bizarrely rushed after a glacial pace throughout the season.

Yes, it was quite funny that Celebrimbor couldn't even think of making an alloy. However, I could forgive that Halbrand would have pretty basic help to offer, as the show's writing hasn't been very competent in general, if only they at least tried to put some real emphasis on this extremely important part of the story. It's indeed frustrating that when they actually get to what the show is about, according to the title, they start rushing things for the first time, as you point out.

It's also weird how Sauron now helped making the three elf rings, which are the ones he shouldn't know about, and now either he or, more likely, Celebrimbor will have to be entirely uninvolved with the making of the nine and the seven. I'm trying hard to see a good reason for this change, although with the quality of the writing and adaptation this far I'm probably searching in vain.

I also still can't help but see Ian Holm's Bilbo when I see Celebrimbor in this show. The actor isn't bad but he just doesn't have elf energy.

19a0d51a38e49906b409f96616deef71503eb454.gifv

26178e974069cf0f7fe4fdc521145e9ebb4227b1.gifv

Yes, it was quite funny that Celebrimbor couldn't even think of making an alloy. However, I could forgive that Halbrand would have pretty basic help to offer, as the show's writing hasn't been very competent in general, if only they at least tried to put some real emphasis on this extremely important part of the story. It's indeed frustrating that when they actually get to what the show is about, according to the title, they start rushing things for the first time, as you point out.

Maybe it's just me but I find it kind of strange that we didn't get a visual introduction to Celebrimbor's skills as a smith. It's his defining attribute so it would have been great to see him at work and making something beautiful instead of being told that he's great. We actually saw Saubrand at work earlier in the show but not Celebrimbor. His conversations with Saubrand were well acted but really the most on-the-nose approach to achieving the goal of bonding the pair. I know they're writing for a general audience but 'hey what about an alloy?' is so mind-numbingly basic for two expert smiths.

It's also weird how Sauron now helped making the three elf rings, which are the ones he shouldn't know about, and now either he or, more likely, Celebrimbor will have to be entirely uninvolved with the making of the nine and the seven. I'm trying hard to see a good reason for this change, although with the quality of the writing and adaptation this far I'm probably searching in vain.

Yeah this is weird to me too. I'd have thought the 16 lesser rings would have been made first. Changes like this make me scratch my head, because it just makes more sense in the source material so I don't see the wisdom in changing it.

I also still can't help but see Ian Holm's Bilbo when I see Celebrimbor in this show. The actor isn't bad but he just doesn't have elf energy.

Oh damn now that is all I'll see ha. I think the actor is doing a good job but he looks too old and too human for this role. It throws me off when he's sharing a scene with Galadriel and Elrond.

I get the impression that there’s more to Halbrand’s story than "Sauron lied", that Halbrand is instead the last king of the ancient Southlands, perhaps fatally wounded in battle and willing to make a deal, who didn’t die long ago but was possessed and kept alive by the power of a fallen angel. He could find himself on his own again if he breaks free or if Sauron discards him. Or at least I’m hoping there’s some aspect like that, since the motivations of an ancient evil beyond mortal comprehension don’t make for compelling human-scale drama.

I get the impression that there’s more to Halbrand’s story than "Sauron lied", that Halbrand is instead the last king of the ancient Southlands, perhaps fatally wounded in battle and willing to make a deal, who didn’t die long ago but was possessed and kept alive by the power of a fallen angel. He could find himself on his own again if he breaks free or if Sauron discards him. Or at least I’m hoping there’s some aspect like that, since the motivations of an ancient evil beyond mortal comprehension don’t make for compelling human-scale drama.

On second thought, I realize that the "ancient evil beyond mortal comprehension" expectation is not how Tolkien portrayed Sauron, given that Sauron is the same kind of being as Gandalf and the other wizards. Greater power than human, and greater awareness, but essentially humans in terms of their psychology. However, I still think Halbrand and Sauron could be like Harry and Lasciel (or a certain other arrangement) from the Dresden Files.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"